2019 Best Buck Mule Deer Hunt Photo Contest, sponsored by Kryptek

Robbyrich

FNG
I really can't wrap my head around how someone could pass on something like that? Can you give some details? In a trophy unit or he was onto something bigger, amazing animal and very impressive that he passed. Thanks for posting this pic.

ColoradoV nailed it! My buddy was holding out for a giant. He passed some great bucks and had a great hunt but did not fill his tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggieland

WKR
Aggie - I actually passed on him last year as well = the reason is I put him in the lower 190's last year. Sometime before he shed last year he broke off the sticker he has on his drivers side and the folks with his sheds said he went low 190's without the sticker so he was a mid 190's buck last year. The year before (2017) I have pics of him he was a 170's type buck. Only one other person knew where he summered and that guy ended up getting a great AZ tag so I had him to myself all season. I did have one buck that would have scored higher but having a buck of this caliber to archery hunt all year by yourself is special in this day in age......

The reason I passed on him last year was I was chasing a 32" wide typical that I believe would have gone over 200" with either close to or a 30" inside spread. He did not return this year rip big boy..

IMO if you want to get a real big bucks on a regular basis - you have to be ok with passing on 190" type bucks and be ok with the tag soup that comes with it. My 76 year old father and I held to that belief and just ate the best 4th season tag in Colorado less than a week ago.. The reason is we passed on a couple 190" bucks one close to if not over 200" but were going after a monster or bust. Have to say it was the best hunt of my life hands down and we did not fill the tag..

In the end for me I get more satisfaction to be able to hunt til last light on the last day then watch the last sunset than shoot a 190" buck.. Each person is different and we all measure success different but I honestly dont have to kill a small buck to find success in a hunt. The final reason to pass is that he put on about 12-15" and went from a nice 190's buck to a monster this year w 21 and 22' g2's, over 40" of mass, and a 32.5 outside spread. Again they cant get big if you kill them when they hit 190...

Yes, I agree with you on passing. And for most folks like me getting a chance at something like that is extremely rare but we have the same issues here where I live very few deer ever make it to even 4 yrs old. If I lived out West and could scout more and see what really lurks in the remote country of the West it would probably change my whole point of view. If you have any other photos of that buck post them. Something about the height and mass just makes him a very impressive animal to me.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a great week long hunt where my partners and I took 4 bucks and 2 does. I have tons of great traditional style pictures, but I'm posting my favorite photo of the hunt.

This is a photo of myself after reaching the top of the deep valley wall with the buck on my back just before the sunlight faded over the horizon. My son snapped this photo of me celebrating our great experience at the end of a wonderful day in God's country :)

20191122_180803.jpg

Last edited:

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Photo of my son while we were packing his deer out from the bottom of the Montana breaks. He just turned 15 years old this year and is becoming a great hunter and outdoor enthusiast.
There is about 80 lbs of deer and gear on his back. 9 years of playing football (since 3rd grade) is really starting to pay off with keeping Dad's pack lighter! LOL!
So proud to have a son that will carry the tradition of hunting into his generation :)

20191123_133451.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0423%202_zps2h80nncg.jpg