2019 California Blacktail

Jhil653

FNG
Wow that’s the best looking California deer I have seen in a long time. Nice work.

I don’t even see deer like the when I visit Yosemite national park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

desertcj

WKR
View attachment 123030 2019 California Blacktail taken in the foothills of the Trinity Mountains. 165 lb. live weight. 4 x 3 plus eye guards. Savage .308 Win. Super Striker with Burris 3 x 12 in Warne Mounts. My first copper bullet California deer. Federal 150 gr. Factory Power Shok. One shot at 70 yards. Great performance.

That's a nice blacktail...

OP
Sawfish

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
How freakin cool! Great buck! It would be awesome to kill a buck with a pistol!! [/QUOTE

This was my 87th handgun kill, which is not a great amount compared to the top shooters. I only mention that to illustrate that anyone can kill a deer with a handgun with lots of practice and a little bit of planning, I can only tell you that your task will be much harder until you can make yourself leave your rifle at home. I damn near wore all of the blue off of my old Super Blackhawk hauling it around in my old Blazer waiting to find an easy handgun shot. Not until I made myself hunt without having my rifle as a crutch did I become a successful handgun hunter. Realistically, I know that is a big hurdle in a state with limited tags and game. I got my handgun start in Texas where tags and deer are plentiful. However, we do have a lot of pigs, and tags are cheap. You do not need an expensive pistol to get you started. I once killed a Blacktail with a .357 snub nose. Not my first choice but it worked. Go for it!

Awesome buck! I struck out in Trinity this year on my backpacking trip. There are some roads in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good buck especially for California I'm still trying to fill my tag every chant I get. D3-5 makes it tough.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Public or private? Either way great buck and shot with a pistol , congrats !

Helluva buck! Nice work and I can’t believe you got that close to him...all the blacktail bucks I saw last year were skittish as hell.

OP
Sawfish

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Man love the colors on that bucks body. Hope you had him mounted.
Believe it or not the head is still in the freezer. Too many things to do last year, and have not been able to get him scored due to Corona virus, riots, demonstrations, etc. Got to get him moved out this month to make room for this year's deer.

Last edited: