2019 Catalina Wine Mixer

I was fortunate enough to be able to hunt Catalina Island this year. I got 2 tags as a part of their PLM system and chose to go a DIY route with a friend who was willing to drive me and some buddies around.
Mule deer were introduced to this island off the coast of Los Angeles in the 1920's. With no natural predators their population got a bit out of hand.

Rob5589

WKR
It's the "Fu@#ing Catalina Wine Mixer!" Nice hunt, thanks for sharing. For some reason I thought that hunting Catalina was halted years ago due to, of course, the anti hunting crowd. Glad to see that is not the case.

OP
the0thermrt
That looks like fun. One of those hunts that I keep thinking about, but just can't find the time for.

Jeremy
It's a 1 hour ferry ride from Long Beach port to Avalon. We stay in a VRBO rental house in Avalon and our buddy picks us up and drives about 30 min to the south side where we can hunt with rifles. Typical day we spot a half dozen or more deer, most of them being 300-1200 yd away. A deer or two a day between a hunting party is possible so we stay on the island 3-4 days. We have done 1 day hunts where we take the 6am ferry, arrive at 7am and are on the hill glassing by 8am and on the last boat to long beach by 730pm. Not bad timing considering most of my deer taken were around 9am, or at last light.

OP
the0thermrt
It's the "Fu@#ing Catalina Wine Mixer!" Nice hunt, thanks for sharing. For some reason I thought that hunting Catalina was halted years ago due to, of course, the anti hunting crowd. Glad to see that is not the case.
"POW!!"
Tags are available either from Wildlife West (the outfit that is allowed to guide on the island at about $3k for a 3 day/2 deer hunt. Or you gotta know someone on the island who can sponsor you with the conservancy and drive you around.

Wapiti1

WKR
It's a 1 hour ferry ride from Long Beach port to Avalon. We stay in a VRBO rental house in Avalon and our buddy picks us up and drives about 30 min to the south side where we can hunt with rifles. Typical day we spot a half dozen or more deer, most of them being 300-1200 yd away. A deer or two a day between a hunting party is possible so we stay on the island 3-4 days. We have done 1 day hunts where we take the 6am ferry, arrive at 7am and are on the hill glassing by 8am and on the last boat to long beach by 730pm. Not bad timing considering most of my deer taken were around 9am, or at last light.

This seems like a very wife friendly hunt as well. I need to dig a little deeper. Thanks for the details.

Jeremy