2019 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

What distance do most of you typically do this cold bow challenge at?
As you can see from some others it varies quite a bit. It all comes down to you really.

The main goal is to test yourself. I haven't decided what mine will be yet. I have places 10 mins from my house I can shoot as far as I can stretch my bow out but generally when I hunt I have been trying to limit myself to 30 and in.

I shoot 60 all the time and am relatively confident at that range but not quite comfortable taking a shot on animals at that distance yet.

So maybe I'll do 50 or 60 to check my abilities. Maybe I'll keep at 30 where I feel very good, still up in the air.

Just be honest with yourself and dont worry about what the other guy is doing, because in the end, it's not what this particular friendly competition(challenge) is all about.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TravisIN

WKR
yeah for 15 bucks each. Just haven't done it yet.

When I talked to them the guy offered it for free I just paid to ship it there. Like I said, not sure it’s standard procedure, just my experience with them. But may be worth a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
this is the kind of company Black Gold, Tight Spot is. I ran over my Athens bow with an Ford F250 pulling a horse trailer (what a dope)--the stuff nightmares are made of. Went right across the riser and smashed my Ascent and TS quiver into pieces.

I sent them back and they sent me all new stuff. I called and asked if this was standard procedure and not because of my influence with Rokslide, they said something to the effect of "we try to always replace customers gear when we can."

Athens treated me well too but due to nearly complete destruction of the bow, they had to charge me $400 which was more than fair.

Don't lean your weapon on the tires. Put it on the hood.

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I have dealt with BG for warranty issues before and they are awesome, I asked them to change them all to .010 when they had the sight but were going to charge me 75 to do it, so I had them hold off. I am not bashing them at all, they are a kick ass company that I will always do business with, I just haven't pulled the trigger on replacing my pins yet.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Cash up on the roof getting ready for CBC
2f862c85da08eb943306cec375ea29fc.jpg

GLB

WKR
Looking forward to this, What are the chances that you change it to your first shot of the day vs your only shot. The reason that I bring this up is it is spring Bear season here in Alaska and other states and I try to shoot daily to stay dialed in.
If you make the rules to:
1. First shot of the day only can count at your selected distance.
2. You may shoot your bow after that but you can not practice your challenge shot.
That way those of us that will be hunting during this challenge period can stay dialed in for the hunt.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to this, What are the chances that you change it to your first shot of the day vs your only shot. The reason that I bring this up is it is spring Bear season here in Alaska and other states and I try to shoot daily to stay dialed in.
If you make the rules to:
1. First shot of the day only can count at your selected distance.
2. You may shoot your bow after that but you can not practice your challenge shot.
That way those of us that will be hunting during this challenge period can stay dialed in for the hunt.

Nope

I’ve been on too many hunts where the only arrow I get to shoot for days is the one at my buck. Reasons vary on why, but suffice it to say that when you’re hunting hard, you don’t get to practice every day.

The challenge is designed to test us at our worst, not our best. I learned a long time ago those tight little groups I shoot in my backyard when I’m warm and dialed-in have little relevance on the mountain.

It’s also why the challenge is a month long. If you don’t have five days in a month, no worries. Just focus on that bear. You’ll remember him long after some internet challenge.

Last edited:
My set up for 2019
Not new, but proven...
Pse Full Throttle
MBG 5 pin slider
Tight Spot 7
Hamskea versa test
Cross wind stabilizer
TOAD waxless strings
Easton Axis 340
AAE 3"
Iron Will 150's
Exo k2 2000
Kifaru Tahr
Truball Goat, or Nock 2 It
10f372111537cec80f453a957d269507.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Found a bunch of turkeys shed hunting last weekend. Gonna give em a go. Waiting on my tag to show up and getting a second bow ready. Very odd to be practicing at 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My set up for 2019
Not new, but proven...
Pse Full Throttle
MBG 5 pin slider
Tight Spot 7
Hamskea versa test
Cross wind stabilizer
TOAD waxless strings
Easton Axis 340
AAE 3"
Iron Will 150's
Exo k2 2000
Kifaru Tahr
Truball Goat, or Nock 2 It
10f372111537cec80f453a957d269507.jpg

Looking forward to see how those Ironwill 150's do. That's some serious upfront weight. Do you know your FOC? (please people, let's not start an FOC argument, I'm just wondering--hahahahahaha)

A have not measured but I know they have to be somewhere between 16 to 18%

My arrows are cut 26" carbon to carb and I'm running a lightweight insert so it's not as extreme as one would think although I am not opposed to extreme FOC , my bow just prefer some moderately high foc

To be honest I shoot more for as much weight as I can get and still shoot to 280' fps
My boo just tunes really well there

This is awsome! I'm fairly new to archery hunting and even newer to rokslide and this exactly the kind of inspiration I was hoping to find! I'm hoping to be dialed in at 40yards in time for this!

AlbertaWapiti

Stay tuned, there are a lot of "member involvement" things here as the seasons get closer
-Elk photo contest
-Buck photo contest

- Who can get Ryan and Robby the most worked up contest.
- I have seen when words like "legend" and "Long range is unethical" are used they start to elevate heart rate levels.

Glad to have you on board and look forward to your posts.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
AlbertaWapiti

Stay tuned, there are a lot of "member involvement" things here as the seasons get closer
-Elk photo contest
-Buck photo contest

- Who can get Ryan and Robby the most worked up contest.
- I have seen when words like "legend" and "Long range is unethical" are used they start to elevate heart rate levels.

Glad to have you on board and look forward to your posts.

Ryan is the long range legend