2019 Cold Bow Challenge

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Look what greeted me when I got home from work today. I can hardly wait to have a reason to try this out.

5b56bff6727d248a91701cca47fe3fbd.jpg

I haven’t seen one in person yet. Looking pretty sweet.
Thanks Bill for getting that out so quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWoods

WKR
Well that was fast! Shipped from UT on Wednesday Evening and landed in NH Friday morning.
IMG_20190622_094810_1.jpg
I was excited to see my name come up on Monday in the drawing for the Phone Skope. However, as an eastern hunter for deer, turkey, bear and maybe a moose (maybe I'll get drawn for that too!) in the dense forests of Northern New England I don't even own a proper spotting scope through which to take pictures. Not wanting the gear to fall to neglect I suggested either passing it along to another CBC entrant or possibly swapping for some of the other solid optic accessories that PhoneSkope offered. Robby and the crew at PhoneSkope (Shelby & Cheston) kindly opted for the latter and sent me out their Bino Chest Pack.
IMG_20190622_110521.jpg
I'll post a more thoughts on it once I get some time with it. Initial impression however, is that this thing is built incredibly well. It sizes up well, is very comfortable to wear and the binos slip in and out with ease. Just to feel it out, I took it with while riding my fatbike last night and it stayed put without bouncing around. The tag on the strap indicates that its made by Alaska Guide Creations (I believe its their K.I.S.S. pack); however the Phoneskope version comes at a pretty significant discount compared to the AGC.
IMG_20190621_202351.jpg
I haven't used binos much for deer hunting around here since I track in fresh snow and simply could not keep the lenses clear for more than an hour or two (who wants that weight burried in a backpack!). This chest pack looks like it will change that and may even get me to upgrade my optics (Those Maven C.1s look nice!).

Thanks again Rokslide crew and PhoneSkope!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey man, thanks for sharing your success. I love the picture of the buck, and the knife. Oh and punched tags are always awesome.

blackash

FNG
Amazing challenge! I love bows and can’t wait to buy one for myself. Maybe I’ll get the model that you have since I love the way it looks. Bows aside, your challenge reminded me of a YouTuber, Rebecca Zamolo, who also does cool 24-hour challenges. She uses spy gear in her videos which also intrigued me a lot. I wonder, are you also interested in spy gear? Since hunting and spying kind of go hand in hand. In the end, every challenge is amazing, I like to watch a different kind of challenges, from rock climbing to strange challenges (click here) that I cannot find a name for.

gffr31

FNG
The 2019 Cold Bow Challenge will start Saturday, May 11th and run through Sunday, June 9th. Thread will be unlocked early on the 11th.

We kicked this off in 2017. This really wasn't my idea as I've heard many pro-shooters (who hunt) endorse this method in various media over the years.

This challenge is designed to test your realistic Maximum Effective Range (MER). You shoot one arrow each day of the challenge with no warm up or follow up shots and no practice between days, hence the name, Cold Bow Challenge.

With this in mind, we're kicking off the 2019 Cold Bow Challenge with a few modifications from last year.

Here are the rules:

1) Start a post in this thread (one post per shooter) on your first shooting day (you don't have to start on day one, but you do have to be done within 30 days to qualify for prizes).

2) Call the range that you think is your maximum effective range (MER).

3) With no warm up shots, shoot one arrow a day and only one arrow at your called range (you do NOT have to shoot 5 days consecutively, but there is NO PRACTICE between shooting days.)

4) Post a photo of that arrow's placement on a target that represents the kill zone size of your intended species.

5) It's a five-day/five-arrow challenge, so post a photo each day in your original post. Just use the "edit" button (bottom of your post) so all five arrows appear in one post. Do not start your post to reserve your slot, start your post on the first day that you shoot.

6) Be sure and mention the conditions, wind direction, and it’s fine to call your shot: “pulled left" for example.

7) Give us a quick summary on your equipment. This is a gear site and we all want to know what our buddies are shooting.

8) If multiple posters are on one post, only the member's entry will be counted. To qualify, you must be a member posting on your own account.

Finally, this is not a competition, but because we're generous and we have some great sponsors, I'll be DRAWING for some killer prizes for our members (Rokslide staff will shoot, but can't win the prizes).

--Every qualified participant shooting field points gets ONE name in the hat

--Every qualified particpant who shoots broadheads (fixed or mechanical) for all five arrows gets TWO names in the hat
--For every member that has at least 250 posts (on the day we qualify you), we'll give you THREE names in the hat for field points, or FOUR for Broadheads (fixed or mechanical, must shoot broadheads all five days)--it pays to be an active member!

All Traditional and Compound shooters are welcome (but there will not be separate divisions for this year). You can shoot both Traditional for five arrows and Compound for five arrows to double your odds, (put all 10 arrows in one post and it's OK to shoot both bows on the same day)

@Travis Bertrand and I will draw from those who complete the challenge according to these rules within a week of last day of challenge (after that, you can enter the challenge, but there won't be any prizes awarded.)

Here are the prizes we'll be drawing for:

Vortex
Viper HD 20-60x85 Spotter (the scope reviewed here and here)
View attachment 94757

S&S Archery's
CL Backcountry Trekking Poles (Jordan Budd review here)
View attachment 95273

Ironwill Outfitters 3-Pack of any broadhead or K1 Ultralight Knife (Les Welch's review pending)
View attachment 95274View attachment 95275

BlackOvis Custom Arrow Build/ Arrow ID program Jordan is currently reviewing this service here
View attachment 95276

Crispi $200 gift card (just one of the many reviews here Crispi Guide GTX by @billy molls)

View attachment 95265

Camofire $100 gift card
View attachment 95277

Phone Skope System with Bluetooth Shutter (Moffat reveiw here Phone Skope goes to Alaska)

View attachment 95278

A five pack of Pyro Putty. I reviewed this good stuff here and here
View attachment 96473

Stay tuned for more details and potential prizes.

(If you have questions or comments on this competition, post them
here, so this thread stays clean and easy to follow. Click here to see last year's challenge for an idea of how this works. There have been a few mods to the 2019 challenge.)

*Current as of 6/11/19:
** All Odd numbers have been updated. If something’s not right, PM me @Travis Bertrand by 6/14
** All Even numbers have been updated. If something’s not right, PM me @robby denning by 6/14
Results will be posted by 6/17/19 on this post
Qualified:
mfllood3800- 3 entries
19hunt92- 2 entries
colersu22- 4 entries
Kahuna- 2 entries
87TT- 4 entries
Brendan- 4 entries
ntrlbrnhunter- 2 entries
GregB- 2 entries
NPhunter- 4 entries
TravisIN- 4 entries
MTSabo- 4 entries
dylanvb- 1 entry
NDGuy- 4 entries
Sniff- 1 entry
Btaylor- 3 entries
Bigwoods- 2 entries
TheCougar- 4 entries
Forealboreal- 2 entries
Fatcamp- 4 entries
dano626- 2 entries
jparker- 2 entries
ShortMountain91- 2 entries
jfs82- 1 entry
Raygun15E- 1 entry
rodkazempour= 2 entries
Scottyboy= 4 entries
wesgiddingshunt= 1 point
Huntin WV= 2 entries
don carpenter= 4 entries
netman= 1 entry
MDH leatherworks= 2 entries
willfrye027= 4 entries
Steadman= 2 entries
Steelheadmike= 4 entries
jb79= 4 entries
OXN939=1 entry
rgroves= 1 entry
Rodkazempour= 2 entries
TannerW= 2 entries
Cornfedkiller= 3 entries
huntnfolk= 2 entries
wekilldeer= 2 entries
Cant hit em - 4 entries
sndmn11 - 6 entries
KHNC - 4 entries
HUNTING5150 - 1 entry
El Gavilan - 6 entries
ShortMountain91 - 2 entries
MylesH -1 entry
Broken Compass - 4 entries
fatlander - 2 entries
Mkuper - 1 entry
Gorp2007 - 3 entries
UtahJimmy - 4 entries
Spence14 - 2 entries
slosurfer - 2 entries
MT257 - 2 entries
Pezboat - 1 entry
damxam- 2 entries
joshdidthis - 2 entries
dkime - 2 entries
JDZ- 4 entries
Chippewarrior- 3 entries
Chuco23- 1 entry
HeadnWest= 4 entries
renagde- 4 entries
cody21peterson= 2 entries
edwal- 2 entries
Sorry slinger= 2 entries
publichunter1- 1 entry
DanZ= 4 entries
Lak2004- 4 entries
renegde- 4 entries
Billy Goat-8 entries
StopMakingSense - 4 entries
edwal- 2 entries
Boxerboxer- 4 entries
gethuntin- 3 entries
NCSU_Lewis - 1 entry
randle- 4 entries
Jblack86 - 2 entries
IdahoHntr - 1 entry
Stonewall - 4 entries

6/17/19. We've drawn for the winners!. If your name is on list, you have until 6/24 to claim your prize BY posting on this thread, and emailing me at [email protected]. If you want to trade your prizes, that's fine but work it out among the other winners. I only want one email with contact/shipping info per winner, please.

Pyro Putty- Scottyboy

PhoneSkope w/ Bluetooth Shutter- Bigwoods
$100 Camofire Gift Certificate- Chippewarrior
$200 Crispi Boot Gift Certificate- rgroves
Black Ovis Custom Arrow/ID- Billy Goat
Ironwill Outfitters Broadheads or k1 Ultralight Knife- JDZ
S&S Archery Trekking Poles- don carpenter

Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85 Spotter- jfs82

2020 CBC-I chose 40 yards with a broad head, i had to get a new bow last year and after shooting league at 20 yards I realized it takes some time to get used to new equipment, wanted to start with 40 shooting cold
Matthews Vertix
10 degrees
Black gold site that I’m not 💯 sold on quite yet

Attachments

• 7FD6B467-984B-4932-9DA0-1D1F5C13AC87.jpeg
    7FD6B467-984B-4932-9DA0-1D1F5C13AC87.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 18
  • 40CFC13D-FDB1-4745-8EA7-E99A6D27B46E.jpeg
    40CFC13D-FDB1-4745-8EA7-E99A6D27B46E.jpeg
    465.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 4A15CF6A-94A6-4AE7-8104-4F713EAE33DB.jpeg
    4A15CF6A-94A6-4AE7-8104-4F713EAE33DB.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 77AC637D-EA8E-44A7-8219-DD07B3A56249.jpeg
    77AC637D-EA8E-44A7-8219-DD07B3A56249.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 16

TravisIN

WKR
2020 CBC-I chose 40 yards with a broad head, i had to get a new bow last year and after shooting league at 20 yards I realized it takes some time to get used to new equipment, wanted to start with 40 shooting cold
Matthews Vertix
10 degrees
Black gold site that I’m not sold on quite yet

Wrong thread buddy! Ther is one for 2020