2019 Coyote Board

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
Right on! Are you selling the hides at all?

We are headed out to Blacks Creek to sight in a new Tikka 22-250 we picked up. Might get out to hunt some dogs the weekend after.

Still learning the process of fleshing and stretching but soon hopefully!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
bd0fd806f8156b437c0ee5301383db18.jpg

This Female only had 2 legs, I have so much respect for these critters

That fact that this one only had two legs and was out there still surviving is just amazing. Just shows you how cool nature really is

mcseal2

WKR
Breaking it in right!

I'm going out tomorrow to hunt a contest with a couple buddies. Snowing now but temps are going to stay right around freezing. I am afraid we will be dealing with mud more than snow. We will give it a shot and see what happens. It's always fun to do these with people and hunt new ground, they haven't been hunting their stuff all fall like I have mine.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple from this year. It’s been pretty slow here the last week or so. Hoping for snow!

7d36e9d90a49878a16c706db5cfb9fff.jpg
822c66b694573e993381b5bdd8ca3b62.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
We hunted yesterday all day. The first couple stands of the morning we called coyotes but then the wind picked up and it got real slow. We had 3 respond and got one coyote on the first stand and got spotted getting into the second one. We still had a coyote respond but he was wary and stayed out past 400 yards. Later in the afternoon we got a pair to come in late and one sat down at 242 yards. Two of us shot him at pretty much the same time and the results were not real pretty. The other one stayed in the brush as it escaped and we were unable to get him. We only got 2 killed for the day but had fun doing it. I'm going to count the one we doubles on and call it 3 for the year now. Either of our shots would have done the job.

mcseal2

WKR
Well I got #4 for the year tonight. I went to a spot I'd seen a few during deer season but hadn't wanted to bother until now. I had just enough time to make one long stand before dark after I got done working tonight. It was pretty foggy but I could see about 200 yards. I actually like that weather for hunting deer or coyotes. I feel like the animals have a harder time seeing in it than I do, plus they feel comfortable moving a bit earlier. Also I can access places where I'd usually get spotted walking in across the open ground. Anyway I set up and started calling. About 25 minutes into the stand I spotted a coyote in the fog loping at an angle to me, kinda doing a drive-by to see what was making the racket. I sat still because I would have had to make a big move to get on it and it wasn't going downwind. I changed the sound as it went out of sight. I heard it barking and doing short howls in the fog at various places for several minutes. I mimicked whatever it did. Pretty soon I spotted a coyote coming in hard down the old road bed I'd hoped they would use when making the stand. I shot it at about 75 yards when it stopped and then saw the second one of the pair bust out from a small brush patch next to it. I missed that one. It disappeared into a ditch just as I shot, I think I shot over it.

Here are a few pics of the stand
yote 4 1 15 19.jpgyote 4 5 1 15 19.jpg
I drug the coyote approximately 20 yards closer to the decoy after shooting her before getting out the phone camera. It wasn't actually that close when I shot it. The first pic shows the old roadway and fence row the coyote came down to approach. At the far end of the pic there is a big thicket about 5 acres in size. I set up where I did to allow a coyote a "safe" route with a little cover to approach my call, but not so much cover I couldn't shoot it. I like to do that on my stands. The second pic is the coyote's view as it approached my call. I was tucked in by the bigger tree in the little brush pocket at that end of the old road. There was a crosswind from left to right from the second pictures perspective. I used the fence to hang my FoxPro on to get the sound out a little better tonight.

Anyway, long post but I figured I'd take some pics since I didn't have time for another stand before dark. I like to leave a coyote a path to approach me from cover, but not get so close to the cover I have to skyline myself or otherwise get spotted walking in. I hunt a lot of flatter hill tops like this near cover rather than overlook the cover itself when I can.

mcseal2

WKR
Called another in today but it got away. It was coming right to a friend's girlfriend who came along with him on the hunt. She was shooting my 16" AR with a 1-4x scope because she doesn't get to shoot a whole lot and has trouble finding critters in the scope. He wants to get an AR so he figured it couldn't hurt to have her shoot one. She should have had the shotgun on this yote. I let it come right by me at 30 yards to get to her, and it ended up within 15 yards of her. It figured out something was up and started to leave just as she shot, I think she hit right behind it. She got some more shots off with the AR though and was all excited. I bet my buddy gets an AR out of the deal!

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks, it was a fun day. Always good to see I'm not the only one who gets rattled when a coyote smokes in fast!

isu22andy

WKR
Up to 21 coyotes killed so far . Believe it or not it’s all been in about a 2-3 mile radius from our farm . I’ve killed 2 by catching them at the wrong place at the wrong time , 2 calling , and 17 snaring . Only one mangy one . 20-35 dollars skinned, and 10-30 un skinned.
8a84163d91e9046cf3c8d14cf77f16eb.jpg
5252a50b4ab55303bcfe2de5e21a6fce.jpg
ee44afa2fe48d40e51ca61aa71f2de6e.jpg
20dcdfad9e9ba747c71456840ae76d93.jpg
a6413875b2699b24a47eb3d75895b7de.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I believe it. A trapper took 100 off each of the ranches that neighbor me one year not to long ago, and I shot over 40 that year. All that in a 10 mile area, but an area with a lot of calving going on in it. Probably lots of coyotes drawn to that from further out.

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
Good job! I shot one a few days ago, he was off the side of the road mousing in the wind.
5505cfa0aba190be310e45de637f9064.jpg

Had a tough time lately getting the weather to cooperate. Called in one after I shot this one and couldn’t get him to stop before he cut wind. Took my retrievers out today, trying to make decoy dogs out of em. called in a pair that they chased about 300 yards out and when I buzzed the dogs to come back, one of the coyotes jumped on a rock and watched but wouldn’t come back. I surprised the hell out of it when I blasted the rock at it’s feet.

isu22andy

WKR
I believe it. A trapper took 100 off each of the ranches that neighbor me one year not to long ago, and I shot over 40 that year. All that in a 10 mile area, but an area with a lot of calving going on in it. Probably lots of coyotes drawn to that from further out.

Yep around here hog confinement sections always hold coyotes, one of these fields was by my uncles cattle feedlots.

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
Tough morning, 4 different spots and nothing came in. What am I missing HUSHN?

5c93b10d63759da4fadc162d4c075a9d.jpg

You’re asking a rookie but are you seeing tracks and scat? Are there birds responding to your calls? I’ve had mornings like that but I noticed fresh tracks behind me where a coyote snuck in and saw me or winded me without me knowing. Hard to say! I’m still running a distress hand call, transitioning to more coyote vocals. Headed out this morning, gotta find the dog collar remote I lost last trip haha but I’ll be making a few stands first.

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
e3427bcb9008a1c721bf179e5d8b1cde.jpg

Off to a good start this morning, 60 yard call in. Called after shot and brought 2nd in but he wouldn’t stop and caught wind at 300

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
fd5c9f9d4e0cfae16d785dbe393b8537.jpg

2/2 so far today, got distracted glassing deer for a while but have time for another stand on way home