JLH208

JLH208

WKR
bd0fd806f8156b437c0ee5301383db18.jpg

This Female only had 2 legs, I have so much respect for these critters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
That female without legs is crazy. Toughest critter I've seen.

Got on the board this morning with one I snuck up on. I saw it feeding on a carcass and slipped up on it. It's muzzle is almost black from the dirt and blood on the carcass. I am experimenting with the 69gr Berger out of my Sako 243 after reading some good reviews about it on fur. It did a great job on this one at 114yds, never exited and the entrance was hard to find. Shot it broadside. The bullet has a muzzle velocity of 3377fps from my 22" barrel.

Attachments

• 2019 coyote 1.jpg
    2019 coyote 1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 105
That female without legs is crazy. Toughest critter I've seen.

Got on the board this morning with one I snuck up on. I saw it feeding on a carcass and slipped up on it. It's muzzle is almost black from the dirt and blood on the carcass. I am experimenting with the 69gr Berger out of my Sako 243 after reading some good reviews about it on fur. It did a great job on this one at 114yds, never exited and the entrance was hard to find. Shot it broadside. The bullet has a muzzle velocity of 3377fps from my 22" barrel.

The Berger’s are great I been shooting 87gr vld for the last 3 years and love them

mcseal2

WKR
I actually field tested the 87gr Berger for them before they released it and wasn't as impressed on coyotes. They might have improved it before it hit the market. It did exactly what a Berger hunting bullet is designed to do, it penetrated 2-3" before beginning it's big expansion. That was getting pretty deep into a broadside coyote. I had coyotes at longer ranges, mostly past 175yds, run a bit more than I liked after the shot. It did a perfect job on the 3 deer we shot while testing it though and shot really well from my rifle. I cut and pasted this from the results I sent to Berger I have saved. It was a pretty small sample size I got during their testing time period, only 3 coyotes. It killed them all so it didn't fail, it just didn't drop them quite as fast as I like. I was testing it in a custom 243 win with a 20" bull barrel.

Varmint performance:

I shot a coyote with the 87gr Berger at 230yds. He ran 140yds after the shot before going down. The entrance wound was caliber size and the exit wound only slightly larger. It was a small coyote, probably less than a year old. Pelt damage was minimal, but I was a little disappointed with how far he traveled. I've had similar results from the 95gr berger in the past at ranges over 175yds with the lower velocity from my short barrel. I can't fault the bullet for this, they are designed for big game not varmints and their delayed expansion works great on animals with a deeper chest cavity to expend energy in.

The next coyote was shot at 225 yds and the bullet entered behind the onside shoulder, quartered through the coyote, and exited behind in front of the offside hindquarter. The coyote stayed on his feet for 15-20 seconds spinning and biting at the wound before dropping, and covered 35yds. The exit wound was 1” according to the ruler on my Leatherman.

The last coyote was at 412yds and I hit him to far back, at the very back of the lungs. He ran over a hill. I recovered him but was unable to find the exact location I shot him from, he probably covered 150yds after the shot. The exit wound matched the earlier ones.

As stated earlier, I think this is an excellent deer bullet but I would prefer a little more expansion and shock for coyotes. I’d love to see a 87gr VLD varmint bullet with the same BC and flight characteristics as this one. That would let a shooter fit the bullet to the use he planned for it. That would also probably lead to people using the varmint bullet for larger game it wasn’t designed for and cause problems. I’ll let smarter people than me figure that one out.

I shot 25 rounds over the chronograph with an average velocity of 3013fps. The slowest was 2942fps and the fastest was 3074fps. Most stayed within 25fps of the average, and the fastest loads were fired while waiting for wind to drop with a round in a warm chamber.

- - - Updated - - -

3a0b55916de8c6445ee44d2491d0b247.jpg

It that the Ruger American Ranch rifle and tall Swagger bipod? I have actually looked at buying both.

I have a Mossberg MVP Predator I'd like to replace with the new American that takes the AR mags. What bullets do you use from your Ruger on coyotes?

I have also thought about getting a Swagger to try on my custom 243. Thanks.

I actually field tested the 87gr Berger for them before they released it and wasn't as impressed on coyotes. They might have improved it before it hit the market. It did exactly what a Berger hunting bullet is designed to do, it penetrated 2-3" before beginning it's big expansion. That was getting pretty deep into a broadside coyote. I had coyotes at longer ranges, mostly past 175yds, run a bit more than I liked after the shot. It did a perfect job on the 3 deer we shot while testing it though and shot really well from my rifle. I cut and pasted this from the results I sent to Berger I have saved. It was a pretty small sample size I got during their testing time period, only 3 coyotes. It killed them all so it didn't fail, it just didn't drop them quite as fast as I like. I was testing it in a custom 243 win with a 20" bull barrel.

Varmint performance:

I shot a coyote with the 87gr Berger at 230yds. He ran 140yds after the shot before going down. The entrance wound was caliber size and the exit wound only slightly larger. It was a small coyote, probably less than a year old. Pelt damage was minimal, but I was a little disappointed with how far he traveled. I've had similar results from the 95gr berger in the past at ranges over 175yds with the lower velocity from my short barrel. I can't fault the bullet for this, they are designed for big game not varmints and their delayed expansion works great on animals with a deeper chest cavity to expend energy in.

The next coyote was shot at 225 yds and the bullet entered behind the onside shoulder, quartered through the coyote, and exited behind in front of the offside hindquarter. The coyote stayed on his feet for 15-20 seconds spinning and biting at the wound before dropping, and covered 35yds. The exit wound was 1” according to the ruler on my Leatherman.

The last coyote was at 412yds and I hit him to far back, at the very back of the lungs. He ran over a hill. I recovered him but was unable to find the exact location I shot him from, he probably covered 150yds after the shot. The exit wound matched the earlier ones.

As stated earlier, I think this is an excellent deer bullet but I would prefer a little more expansion and shock for coyotes. I’d love to see a 87gr VLD varmint bullet with the same BC and flight characteristics as this one. That would let a shooter fit the bullet to the use he planned for it. That would also probably lead to people using the varmint bullet for larger game it wasn’t designed for and cause problems. I’ll let smarter people than me figure that one out.

I shot 25 rounds over the chronograph with an average velocity of 3013fps. The slowest was 2942fps and the fastest was 3074fps. Most stayed within 25fps of the average, and the fastest loads were fired while waiting for wind to drop with a round in a warm chamber.

- - - Updated - - -

It that the Ruger American Ranch rifle and tall Swagger bipod? I have actually looked at buying both.

I have a Mossberg MVP Predator I'd like to replace with the new American that takes the AR mags. What bullets do you use from your Ruger on coyotes?

I have also thought about getting a Swagger to try on my custom 243. Thanks.

Hmm that’s crazy I been shooting them for the last 3 years and have been very happy with them everything drops unless it a bad shot and no damage what so ever unless I hit bone and they are super accurate out of my gun

mcseal2

WKR
I wonder if they did change the construction a bit from the prototypes I had. I might have to try them again.

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
Mcseal2, yes Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 I’m shooting the Hornady 53 grain Superformance .223 factory loads, and I believe the swagger is the shorter model actually. That picture is full extension of legs, I scored on the first gen they had on camofire! It’s been a sweet setup, just waiting on the suppressor now.

Edit: my only complaint is that these Rugers don’t have a bolt lock! But not a huge deal

Logan T

WKR
Only pic of the 6 dogs we killed over New Years, we didn't take but this one pic because we had all the call ins on film. and one pic of my buddy trying out his gambrel/hoist he made.... after thawing out a coyote. It was a little cold to open the new year, we had to really work for the 6 we got.

XemOzud.jpg

ua6v9eG.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
Mcseal2, yes Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 I’m shooting the Hornady 53 grain Superformance .223 factory loads, and I believe the swagger is the shorter model actually. That picture is full extension of legs, I scored on the first gen they had on camofire! It’s been a sweet setup, just waiting on the suppressor now.

Edit: my only complaint is that these Rugers don’t have a bolt lock! But not a huge deal

Thanks. I wish my AR liked that ammo. From my 20" barrel the chronograph showed 3286fps but after shooting five 3 shot groups they were only holding about 1.5". The reman stuff I'm shooting is slower at 2964fps but will hold a half inch group. The extra accuracy gives me confidence as much as anything. The short bipod looks tall enough for my needs, thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Logan T looks like a darn good start to the year. That gambels is pretty slick too. Are those calving chains holding the coyote? Looks like what we use to pull calves.

Logan T

WKR
Logan T looks like a darn good start to the year. That gambels is pretty slick too. Are those calving chains holding the coyote? Looks like what we use to pull calves.[/QUOTE]

Not really... but basically. I’m sure he just bought the twisted chain from a hardware store and added the o ring. Looks a lot like the o b chains.

mcseal2

WKR
Got #2 yesterday, I'm not going to put up a pic though he isn't very pretty. It's the first mangy one I've shot this year but the back half didn't have much hair.

Today we had a 25mph wind but a buddy and I went anyway. We tried calling the public ground inside the high banks on the river. We went from about 11 to 5 without seeing a coyote or cat. The river is rolling pretty good and we wanted to be safely off it before dark. We had some deer spook once and I saw a flash of movement on another stand. Maybe some circled us further out and never committed. It was all really tight spots where visibility was limited, mostly all shotgun range. I figured we'd see something but this was a first for us. I figured the duck hunters have the critters used to boats on the river. We couldn't get to far from the boat while staying on public so we had motor noise close to our stands. I'll have to give it another shot on a better day.

A friend who farms along the river said he seldom sees coyotes around it. He sees far more in the pastures and hills than the thick river bottom. When he does see them there he said it's usually at first or last light and they are either coming down from the hills or headed back into them. He doesn't think many live there. It should sure have a ton of feed for a coyote though, tons of mice and rabbits plus other stuff. Probably some crippled waterfowl too from all the hunters after them plus gut piles from all the deer hunters.

Anyone else tried this tactic?

Last edited:
OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
f3c06d0e2e9857ee03d7bff26cfba07f.jpg

2 more today, the other one was off the side of the road crippled I think, he had been there all night according to melted snow. He was dispatched at close range so no pic

jmcd22

WKR
3ef78d53cb29ebb11c2f9fa77bee31e5.jpg

3 for today

Right on! Are you selling the hides at all?

We are headed out to Blacks Creek to sight in a new Tikka 22-250 we picked up. Might get out to hunt some dogs the weekend after.