2019 Coyote Board

mcseal2

WKR
Picked off another while checking the calving cows today. 200yds with the 243 and 69gr Berger again. There were 3 together that took off from a draw and a 4th followed. That last one saw the others run but didnt know why, he followed slower and stopped at my bark. Didnt get a crack at the others. 198F2E1C-8351-4ACA-8A03-960039C737F0.jpeg

My number two and three. First photo is a last years model male. Second photo is an older male. Both shot at about 40 yards. 55gr 6x6.8spc does the trick.

Attachments

• 20190301_173552.jpg
    20190301_173552.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190310_094219.jpg
    20190310_094219.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 28

jmcd22

WKR
Finally got out this morning. Called two dogs in but they hung up around 475-500 yards. Didn't have much of a shot at either of them unfortunately. This guy was only about 20 yards off the dirt road we were on. Paid us no attention until I asked him what he was doing...only then did he pick his head up haha.antelope.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
Picked off another one checking cows today. There were 4 of them in a group of cows we had calving. 6 of the young calves were through the fence out on the gravel road, not sure if the coyotes spooked them or if they just decided to crawl out. I spotted one coyote's back as it approached a cow that had just calved. I slipped up to a tree I could stand by and rest on and got it in the scope about the time it spotted my Ranger. It was just starting to leave as I squeezed the trigger on the 243. I hit it a bit far back but got the job done. With that gun I can risk a shot like that I'd have had to pass or re-adjust for a lead with the lighter calibers. The shot was about 150 yards. The other 3 took off without offering a reasonable shot. That puts me at 10 for the year. Quite a way behind last year this time. I'm not missing more, just shooting at less.

Baron85

WKR
First dog of the year for me. Walked a 4.5 mile loop with nothing to show for it and about 300yds from camp decided to do 1 more stand and dropped this female with my 223AI tikka with 69 TMK at around 80yds

Attachments

• 7C9D8C7F-93FD-4F18-AA17-DF45C8623FDE.jpeg
    7C9D8C7F-93FD-4F18-AA17-DF45C8623FDE.jpeg
    687.5 KB · Views: 18
Called her in to 50 in west central MN. My first ever calling success and second coyote.
1ff2d4a0ee782e3ea84000ac835ea760.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just found this thread, thought i would post up some coyotes that my husband and i have gotten this winter. He usually does the calling ( hand calls) and puts me in the best spot for shooting, but it is definitely a team effort!
This first one he spotted as we were getting out of the Jeep, it was just trotting up crossing a bridge towards us on a logging road. I quickly got my gun out and hubby squeaked it to stop.coyote2018.jpg

Last edited:
Walking up the road about a mile and a half, we spotted this guy in moderately thick brush on the side of the road. Had to shoot twice because of the brush. But that was a nice double that day!coyote2018x2.jpg

Last edited:
This was a couple weeks later in the same timberland that we hunt. We had been calling and got a vocal response from a couple coyotes so we made our way over to a closer spot. Hubby started howling and I immediately had one right on top of me, about 10 yards. It saw me , but wasn't totally sure what I was so it headed into some thick reprod and disappeared. I thought it was long gone, but I eventually spotted it 200 yards out sitting on a stump looking my direction, so I shot her off the stump. It was getting dark so my gun had a great big flame coming out of it- thats my longest shot yet , she was a small female.flamethrower.jpg

Last edited:
This coyote we had to work for! We had walked up a logging road and called, got some coyotes really responding about 3/4 mile from where we were posted up. So after that set we made our way up that direction. There was about a foot of heavy HEAVY snow that we had to trudge through to get there. We rounded a corner on the old logging road, coming up to a wide open flat old gravel pit, Hubby sneaked up a hill onto an alder flat,gonna go around and call from the back side of a ridge. I sneaked in, walking in the ditch on the side of the road. As I was walking through the extremely loud thick snow I spotted a big black coyote running through the brush on the hillside away from me. I stopped and glassed him he was outta there, but I spotted another coyote in the flats looking toward me. I sat down and got my gun ready, as I was doing that It had circled around to the right into a spot that I couldn't see it, Hubby had seen that I was onto something so he was watching me. All of a sudden the coyote lets out a big challenge bark to my right and Hubby goes into pup distress. It comes in at a dead run about 100 yards in front of me, crossing from my left to my right where the road I am on meets the open gravel area. I got him in my cross hairs, but have never shot a running ANYTHING but I just thought okay " Lead him " squeezed the trigger and boom, dog down!
Can't wait to go in and try to get that black one.
We don't get in a ton of sets in, because we usually hunt in areas that are walk in only, plus being here in western Washington, it can be challenging to get good visibility and winds, but we love practically having the woods to ourselves and killing predators.wrcoyote2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not real big on taking pics of my dead coyotes. So far in 2019 I've killed 6 and every one of them was shot from my back deck here at the farm. I killed a 40 pounder with a prime pelt January. That one went in for a tanned skin. I doubled on a pair in February. Then yesterday I doubled again. Both were snooping around in my pasture not far from the livestock. When I recovered them, the first one was the biggest I've ever shot....at least 50 pounds.

I'm neither a lover or hater of coyotes. I'd prefer they leave us alone and I'd leave them alone. Without some pushback from me, they get increasingly bold and show up near the house and barns. I had a couple run past me and an employee while we were discussing work plans a couple years ago.

mcseal2

WKR
I got #11 a few days ago checking cows. The coyote was smart, an older female. She dropped into some thick grass on a flat with no way to sneak out when she heard me coming. I spotted her and got the rifle ready and slipped up to a fence and waited. It was probably a couple minutes before she got nervous enough to try to make a break for it. The first 45gr Hornady from the 204 broke her down and the second finished her as soon as she showed her vitals. The 243 got a good bump on the scope so until I get time to put it back on the bench I'm packing the 204.

cmahoney

WKR
Are you guys using pup sounds now? I didn’t have much luck last week. 3 weeks ago called in two just using a female howl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
42322e0aa8082aca39982ec9f5d8f686.jpg
8c42f1678bb9e3d32e225fe9336169a7.jpg

Had some time to kill this morning, first time calling in the summer for me. Tried to mimic a calf distress with my hand call and howled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk