2019 Coyote Board

danarnold

WKR
3f3692caa05031abfc67a645f4c6c5f0.jpg

One of my favorites, while deer hunting in a stand slapped that mangy bastard with a Ruger 44 mag

mcseal2

WKR
Well it's been a long time since I got one. We had record rainfall and the grass got huge, coyotes are really hard to spot. I didn't even pick any off while haying this summer, never saw them mousing in the windrows. Monday I got one out of a group of 4 that was hanging around our weaned calves. I saw one at 60 yards and kicked myself for not having the rifle Sunday. Monday (and every day since) I've had the old Savage Hog Hunter 223 loaded with 53gr Superformance V max ammo. It's a good shooting beater gun to put in the UTV. This coyote stopped at 170 yards to glance back and I was ready when he did. Now I'm getting my fever up a bit, I will really hit it after our December whitetail season but I'm going to have a yote gun along full time on the ranch now. I set up a Ruger American Predator 22-250 with a Magpul stock I'm wanting to get dialed in and use in the truck. It's a cheaper set-up to beat around than my good ones.

jmcd22

WKR
Had one standing broadside while scouting for my deer hunt a few weeks ago...the one time I didnt have my 22-250! Deer hunt ends Nov 24th...taking a few weeks off them hitting the yotes!

mcseal2

WKR
Well the Magpul stock did not work on the 22-250 American. The mag that comes with the stock is designed around 308 cases I'm guessing, it does not feed the 22-250 ammo. Guess I'll have to get another American, maybe a 6 Creedmoor.

I shot a pair while checking trail cams today. I think that gets me to 15. Well below normal, with the big grass this year they are just tough to spot. I grabbed my DPMS Prairie Panther that I normally use calling to take with me today. I spotted a pair mousing at about 250 yards that either didn't hear my truck or chose to ignore it. I had to wait a while for them to clear brush, but when they finally did I dropped the first at 215 yards. The second ran off behind another small thicket. There didn't look to be a good way for him to get out of it without me spotting him, so went to the back of my flatbed and built a rest out of mineral sacks. About 8 minutes later he trotted out from behind the thicket. A bark stopped him at 300 yards and I held 4" into the wind and right on his back line. He dropped at the shot.

I switched to Hornady Superformance ELD-M ammo to try in my DPMS late last year. It shoots extremely well from that rifle. I was shooting a RAM load that was pushing a 55gr V max at 2956 fps. This ammo is shooting a 73gr ELD-M at 2785fps. It's actually flatter shooting than my old load and has far less wind drift. It fits the small triangle setting on the B&C reticle in the Leupold 3.5-10x VX-3 on the rifle well too. I always liked that rifle but always wanted more punch for coyotes at longer distances or tougher angles. Especially runners after I hit the first one standing. The early results are promising. Both coyotes dropped in their tracks. Both bullets exited. The 215 yard coyote was hit perfect behind the shoulder and had a small exit wound. The second I hit a shade high and got some bone. It had a larger exit. I give my coyotes to a friend that traps, so terminal performance is more important than fur to me. I really hate having a hit coyote run off, or having to spend more time putting a second shot into a spinner while his buddy runs away. I think I'll be sticking with these bullets unless they give me a reason not to. The perfectly hit coyote had a nice pelt that would have been easy to repair, the damage wasn't bad.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Numerous uno, one stand, one dog. Heard a half dozen more a little further down on both sides of me after the shot. I'll be back on em in the morning.
275975f5173b0d3ed0ce9fa049c6053b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got the Fiocchi 40gr loads, 200fps slower than the Superformance loads, but about half the price lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
I got one more trapped. Someone else had drove up to her on a four wheeler and put a bullet in her neck, I'm guessing a cattle rancher checking cows but who knows. At least they didn't steal my coyote. I thought she was dead until my dogs got there.
e94f0f9df74fc13df9de1b4f61b3d7b2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk