2019 DIY Oklahoma Whitetail Archery Info

Bdog2013

FNG
I'm looking into throwing a DIY archery hunt to Oklahoma together thanksgiving week. Curious if I could get some basic info about the topography and what kind of public land there is in the state and if any specific portion of the state would be better for me to focus my efforts. I really would appreciate any information.

Tartan

WKR
https://wildlifedepartment.com/

Oklahoma has one of the more useful hunting websites. Links to season dates, maps on public land and descriptions of all the wma’s can be found there. Along with contact information for all the biologists in charge of those areas.

You can find public lands in big timber, agriculture, grasslands, 600ft elevation changes to totally flat, etc. Just depends on what you want to hunt.

That week you mentioned will be during gun season. You can still hunt with a bow then if that’s what you want, but some archery only WMAs will be closed to hunting during that timeframe.

Last edited:
As tartan said that will be gun season. The orange army will be in full force! If you can swing the second week of November you should hit the rut and no gun hunters. Tons of public ground with great deer. My suggestion would be any public ground near a river bottom.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Oh hey wow, everyone look it's the "nothing here but forkies, drive to X state to hunt" joke replies by people looking for attention that we have seen a million times!!! maybe you should try a "your momma" joke next time!!

RCL

WKR
There is quite a bit of public land and deer numbers are good.
As mentioned before, gun season will be in full swing over Thanksgiving so lots of people in the woods.
If you find and area that interests you, I will be more than happy to share what I know.
Just pm if I can help.

LostArra

WKR
Oh hey wow, everyone look it's the "nothing here but forkies, drive to X state to hunt" joke replies by people looking for attention that we have seen a million times!!! maybe you should try a "your momma" joke next time!!

Maybe I'll get even "more attention" with this:
Oklahoma manages deer for good opportunity, not trophies. Gun season is in part of the rut and everything with any antler gets blasted. Letting small ones walk is slowly catching on but with a two buck limit it's a tough life for deer on public land. Western Oklahoma public land is a little better. But come on down. Knock yourself out and pack both your bucks home in one cooler. If "your momma" hunts private land that trophy potential does go up.

okcaveman

FNG
I'll disagree with some previous posters. Even on public land there are great deer in most areas.
OK has ample opportunity, about 5% of landmass is public, and while some areas have better trophies than others, I hunt public 100% and manage mature deer most every year.

LostArra

WKR
I'll disagree with some previous posters. Even on public land there are great deer in most areas.
OK has ample opportunity, about 5% of landmass is public, and while some areas have better trophies than others, I hunt public 100% and manage mature deer most every year.

Hunting Thanksgiving will be the issue especially with a bow. Thanksgiving is later this year (Nov 28) and rifle season starts Nov 23. The op would almost be better off hunting a week or two later when the orange army is gone and unbred does are getting chased. Or come before the 23rd.

Donjuan

WKR
Oh sorry do you want GPS coordinates and trail cam photos?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I'll get even "more attention" with this:
Oklahoma manages deer for good opportunity, not trophies. Gun season is in part of the rut and everything with any antler gets blasted. Letting small ones walk is slowly catching on but with a two buck limit it's a tough life for deer on public land. Western Oklahoma public land is a little better. But come on down. Knock yourself out and pack both your bucks home in one cooler. If "your momma" hunts private land that trophy potential does go up.

"If your momma hunts private land ..........." LOL love it!!! thanks for a good laugh

Thanks for the deer info as well, hopefully it gets better as time goes on!!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Oh sorry do you want GPS coordinates and trail cam photos?
Pretty sure no one asked for GPS coordinates or trail cam photos, not sure how you would even get that from "hows the quality of deer in oklahoma?" the other guy answered the question thoroughly enough and even threw in a "your momma joke too boot!!" I bet your no fun at parties are ya?

Donjuan

WKR
Pretty sure no one asked for GPS coordinates or trail cam photos, not sure how you would even get that from "hows the quality of deer in oklahoma?" the other guy answered the question thoroughly enough and even threw in a "your momma joke too boot!!" I bet your no fun at parties are ya?
Says the guy who gets pissy over a joke.

okcaveman

FNG
Hunting Thanksgiving will be the issue especially with a bow. Thanksgiving is later this year (Nov 28) and rifle season starts Nov 23. The op would almost be better off hunting a week or two later when the orange army is gone and unbred does are getting chased. Or come before the 23rd.
I definitely agree there would be better times to come. I was just saying that in my belief and experience, we have both ample opportunity and nice deer. I always get a little defensive when people start talking about the whole 1 buck thing. Just no need for it here the way I see it

LostArra

WKR
I definitely agree there would be better times to come. I was just saying that in my belief and experience, we have both ample opportunity and nice deer. I always get a little defensive when people start talking about the whole 1 buck thing. Just no need for it here the way I see it

I agree with you. My original comment was a joke (I guess a poor one) but the fact is the state does not manage for big deer. They ask the hunters to voluntarily do it which is not necessarily bad because it improves opportunity if someone just wants to shoot a clueless deer (1 year old bucks) for meat.

okcaveman

FNG
I agree with you. My original comment was a joke (I guess a poor one) but the fact is the state does not manage for big deer. They ask the hunters to voluntarily do it which is not necessarily bad because it improves opportunity if someone just wants to shoot a clueless deer (1 year old bucks) for meat.
My bad. I can be a little dense sometimes. You are right, the way it's set up the state isnt managed for trophies.
OP, you've gotten good answers. Thanksgiving is gun season. Definitely will be an orange army on open public land, and many that arent open to guns are still closed.
Topography is what you want. Ozark and ouachita mountains in the east, crosstimbers and plains as you go west. Cypress swamps and alligators to high plains and bighorn sheep.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
While there will definitely be rifle hunters that week. I wouldn't let it stop me from coming to hunt. You should still have a great time bow hunting. I've hunted on a big portion of our public land so send me a pm if you'd like. If you do come down enjoy our state. I'll be enjoying yours next month.