2019 Fall Bear Success Thread

MeatBuck

WKR
Share your Fall bear hunt successes here.

Here's my wasted trophy bear carcass from California. Searched all over for him but ultimately found him with my nose a week later. Took a quick skull measurement between boiling and deodorizing/degreasing soak, he should be just over the 20" mark when dry. Disappointed that I didn't find him sooner. And being that I found him laying in the wide open where I'd searched twice over the weekend before, my best guess is I was looking down for blood and he was treed watching me or treed and died then fell down sometime after I left the area. Either way I got no meat and no trophy hide.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
Got the skull cleaned up. Green score of 20 7/16"
View attachment 127271
Comparison with previous best of 19 4/16".
View attachment 127274
Got the skull cleaned up. Green score of 20 7/16"
View attachment 127271
Comparison with previous best of 19 4/16".
View attachment 127274
+1
BB.jpg

• Banned
OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
The ol lady got her first bear yesterday morning. 425yd spinal blowout just above vitals. The copper performed decent this time but still took about ten min for him to expire. Just couldn't quite get a second round in him to help him go quicker. He drug himself downhill out of sight but we heard death moans just after packing up to head down to finish him off.
Spent the rest of the day recovering him. Skull will likely go over 19" by the looks of it. Busted a canine and part of the roof of his mouth off on his tumble down the hill.
First pack out for her too. She did awesome dispite her asthma. Was about 2.5 miles out of the canyon to the truck. Did it in under 2hrs. She packed hind quarters and gun, I took the rest of the meat and head.
Just finished cleaning the quarters up and stuffed the meat fridge full. Gonna try an old bear fat biscuit recipe the ol lady's grand dad recommended if we can render enough fat. She certainly made up for my loss of meat earlier this month.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Well her bear went over 20" as well. 20 2/16" green. Likely be right at 20" when dry. Also the busted off canine tooth may have been an older injury that was reopened after the shot. I'll put up some pics to show what I mean later on.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
image.jpeg

So the pics above show the discoloration of the backside of the tooth.
The wear on the front of the tooth where it had rubbed against the bottom canine for a period of time.
The porous look of the bone around the tooth.
The bone loss around the teeth and on the skull.
Seems like it had been that way for years but when he tumbled down the hill after the shot it ripped the tooth away from the gums so I thought it was a fresh wound originally.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Spring 2019, my first backcountry pack out. Got it done with my 10 year old son and he packed out both backstraps, tenderloins and a rack of bone in ribs plus his camping gear. Called this guy in from 75 yards to about 26 and had to track him through some of the thickest, nastiest reprod imaginable.

0IxqxIP.jpg

KTMlfXU.jpg

JXndtXG.jpg

Spring 2019, my first backcountry pack out. Got it done with my 10 year old son and he packed out both backstraps, tenderloins and a rack of bone in ribs plus his camping gear. Called this guy in from 75 yards to about 26 and had to track him through some of the thickest, nastiest reprod imaginable.

0IxqxIP.jpg

KTMlfXU.jpg

JXndtXG.jpg

^This goes here.> https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/2019-spring-bear-success-thread.130699/