2019 First Lite

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the sheep show and snapped some photos for the FL. Some new gloves, couple new pants, new down jacket and the women’s catalyst set.

1d9d4436d59b3fd446186aea316c6b77.jpg
e1bd0630a07c56639069db8494c11fd5.jpg
ff43e39f5465905fea6aada1c4951502.jpg
719874c9cc5fb70b5810a7ffec0b3bc7.jpg
ba8e7d03ffb591976d546bb5af7f6ab0.jpg
babc59f5b5591d62de59ac73d036bc08.jpg
452b0f53db0c344887885f02d238e0da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been wearing the Brooks jacket and the new Catalyst glove. Awesome pieces.

Tartan

WKR
That brush pant looks interesting for me when hunting whitetails at home here in north texas or up in oklahoma. As long as it's not as loud as the typical brush pants I've worn in the past for bird hunting. I'm a little tired of getting back to the truck with my shins and thighs shredded from thorns. Somehow my obsidians themselves haven't worn too badly from them, but they offer zero protection.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I and the new Catalyst glove. Awesome pieces.

I need some gloves. Ordered the Scree Tactical's but sent them back. Wasn't impressed. Hopefully the new Catalyst will be the ticket.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
They’re pretty nice. And they’re pretty thin for the protection that they have. I can shoot with them on.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Brooks jacket is definitely interesting considering I planned on buying an Uncompahgre before next fall. How do those two compare in warmth and weight?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brooks jacket is definitely interesting considering I planned on buying an Uncompahgre before next fall. How do those two compare in warmth and weight?

The Brooks is a super lightweight jacket but warm. The uncompahgre will be warmer imo

dkime

WKR
deae7a0e272daa02920d0b59dcb0cb93.jpg

Hey Jordan, are these just a heavier version of the original talus? I had 1 set of the OG talus and ordered two more last season, I miss the shorter finger length but still an outstanding product

Mudd Foot

WKR
Great teasers Jordan! Would you happen to have a pic of the Catalyst’s palms?

Thanks!

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider

I’m unimpressed with the brooks jacket specs personally. 100 g (or ~3.5 oz) of 800 fp down isn’t very warm.

In comparison. the new stone glacier down jacket is 5.5 ounces of 850 FP down.

You can compare the two by multiplying the fill power with the overall fill weight.

SG 850 x 5.5 = 4,675
FL 800 x 3.57 = 2,957

Dividing he two shows the SG is about 1.57x warmer and it only ways 1 oz more overall.

I have a Montbell permafrost parka that weighs 23 ounces so only 13 oz more than the brooks. It also has a gore windstopper layer so it’s wind proof and essentially water proof. It is 800 FP with 9 oz of down.

800 x 9 = 7200. So it’s 2.5x warmer than the FL brooks and it’s also got boxed baffles which are warmer, than stitch through baffles which I’m sure the brooks has.

As far as comparing down to synthetic i don’t think there is a mathematical way to compare the two.

If you’re looking at a mid level warmth down jacket I would probably check out the Montbell frostline. I believe it’s 7 ounces of 800 FP down for $289 @ 19.7 ounces overall or the Montbell permafrost light down parka. 4.2 oz of 800 fp down with a gore windstopper @ 15.8 ounces overall. You could also look at the SG down jacket, but at $330 vs $289 the Montbell jackets are warmer and cheaper. Also the kuiu super down pro is 5 oz of 850 FP but at $400 it’s more expensive and colder than the SG.

I have the uncompahgre hoody which I love, but it’s not as warm as I’d like. When it drops below 45 F and I’m not moving I have to layer it with a base layer, fleece, and an uncompahgre vest to stay comfortably warm. But then again, I’m a California boy who transplanted to Phoenix so you might be different.

I also own the kifaru LPP which is warmer but heavier and a lot louder than the uncompahgre.

Hope this helps.

Basically what I’m saying is the perfect puffy jacket doesn’t exist. If you want the perfect jacket you’re gonna need multiple jackets.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
I’m guessing the Brooks is the Cirrus replacement, it’s not supposed to be the warmest thing out there. At 10.9 oz I’m intrigued though. The Uncompahgre I had was 21.9 oz, size Large. Replaced it with a 26.9 oz Chamberlin, but having the Brooks as an option to cut a pound from the pack if it’s not going to be freezing may be nice.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m guessing the Brooks is the Cirrus replacement, it’s not supposed to be the warmest thing out there. At 10.9 oz I’m intrigued though. The Uncompahgre I had was 21.9 oz, size Large. Replaced it with a 26.9 oz Chamberlin, but having the Brooks as an option to cut a pound from the pack if it’s not going to be freezing may be nice.

That’s a great point.

My only problem is that people talk about the kuiu superdown ULTRA being not warm enough. Well the brooks is only 1.5x warmer and it’s 4 ounces heavier. And knowing the industry, the brooks will probably be around the same price as the kuiu ($300).

And I’m a FL fanboy my whole kit is 95% FL the rest is Sitka, kuiu, or mountaineering gear.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider

Do you have a kifaru LPP you could weigh? I have an uncompahgre and a LPP. The LPP is clearly heavier but according to Kifaru’s website is only 21 ounces...