2019 First Lite

I thought Kenton got the message pretty clearly on here last year on a similar thread to this and he said they would try hip vents out this past year. Prior to that he said their reasoning was he "didn't think they were necessary but had not tried them".

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Arm pit zippers are the other thing most outter layer jackets should have

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya hip vents. Along with kuiu and skre I’ve seen it with kings, Eddie Bauer and outdoor research. Although the OR with vents are on more of a ski shell type pant. People are taking notice and some companies really should at least do a prototype. I don’t care if the fabric is already super breathable and light the vents even make the tiburons better.

Chuck44

FNG
Agreed on the Tiburons....for that reason, I find myself going from Tiburons to Attack pants...and really having to talk myself in to wearing my Corrugates even though I like the material of the Corrugates the best. Corrugates with hip vents would rock....maybe even add WP knees and seat like the Timberlines, but that is probably asking too much:)

Benjblt

WKR
It takes First Lite a bit to get the message on anything I feel. Some of their style and fit issues took FOREVER to fix. Still love a lot of there stuff and the Aerowool program is market leading IMO.

Can you elaborate on that? I’ll ask today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 50% more down than the nearest competitor is an odd thing to say. There are probably a half dozen or more down jackets that have similar specs on the market today, not including cottage makers. I realize they have probably limited it to hunting companies, and I assume they are targeting the Kuiu Super Down.

It has 50% more down than the Kuiu because its 3 ounces heavier, that may not seem like a lot but when you're talking down jackets its substantial.

I get that it's marketing, and thats how it goes, but I just find it very misleading, especially when he mentions the warmth to weight ratio being phenomenal.

If they had utilized an ultralight face fabric and shoved 900+ fill down into it and got it to be about the same weight, then that would be a different story.

codym

WKR
I can’t believe someone finally made brush pants for us bird doggers and south west hunting. I hope the execution is there. These will be my first pair of FL pants because I love my attacks with the hip vents like others have said. Super excited to try these.

Benjblt

WKR
The 50% more down than the nearest competitor is an odd thing to say. There are probably a half dozen or more down jackets that have similar specs on the market today, not including cottage makers. I realize they have probably limited it to hunting companies, and I assume they are targeting the Kuiu Super Down.

It has 50% more down than the Kuiu because its 3 ounces heavier, that may not seem like a lot but when you're talking down jackets its substantial.

I get that it's marketing, and thats how it goes, but I just find it very misleading, especially when he mentions the warmth to weight ratio being phenomenal.

If they had utilized an ultralight face fabric and shoved 900+ fill down into it and got it to be about the same weight, then that would be a different story.

The obscure claim doesn't matter. I usually compare down jackets initially based on fill power, fill weight, face fabric, and overall weight. There are obviously several other factors to consider. The problem is many companies, including First Lite, don't list these stats.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brooks vs Uncompahgre, who wins with...

- Warmth?
- Packability?

Brooks wins the packability hands down. The warmth I’m giving it to the uncompahgre for now.. I haven’t directly compared side by side but right now I give the warmth to the unconpahgre

ChrisAU

WKR
I think if they are close then the Brooks will get the nod for me...my Uncompahgre was almost 22 oz. If a Large brooks is under 14 oz it will be my puffy for when temps aren't expected to get below 20*.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if they are close then the Brooks will get the nod for me...my Uncompahgre was almost 22 oz. If a Large brooks is under 14 oz it will be my puffy for when temps aren't expected to get below 20*.

They will be pretty dang close. One thing I love about that brooks is it’s lower profile. I have been using it underneath of my soft shell lately for coyotes and it works well. It’s kind of a tight fit under the catalyst but it does work.

I’m really looking forward to their whitetail release this year.

Great video and it really helps when deciding what gear to buy.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
After wearing the Brooks a bunch. I think its very close in warmth to the Uncompahgre. The Brooks is obviously more packable. The downside is the brooks doesn't breath very well(see what I did there) But no down jackets do. But I rarely hike in a down jacket unless its really cold and would need the heat retention. So far I really like the Brooks and it will be on lots of scouting trips and hunts this year.