2019 First Lite

ChrisAU

WKR
What size Brooks down jacket did you get and what is your build? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Got a Large, I'm 5' 11" 206. Could stand to lose about 15 lbs (down 41 in the last year). I'd describe myself as a sorta muscley fat dude with a bit broader shoulders than average.

ChrisAU

WKR
Has anyone received their Guide Lite Pants? How is fit?

Mine shipped today, will know more Tuesday...if the leg will fit over my cast ha. My large Corrugate Guides will, so hopefully I'll be able to try them on. I chatted CS and they said based on my Large Corrugates being just a hair on the big side that 36 in the sawbucks and 38 in the guide lites should be right. We shall see soon.

matty_p51

FNG
Anyone have a medium Brooks? On the fence of what size to get.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

eltaco

WKR
Also looking to pick up a Brooks jacket. At 6’1” and 170, I seem to always be between medium for torso size and large for arm length. Looking forward to hearing some more sizes. Looks to be a solid piece of gear from the specs.

Think worth upgrading from the cirrus to the brooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have had the Cirrus, the Uncompahgre and now the Brooks - Brooks is my favorite but all are good - I like a hood, some don’t. The Brooks is the most packable and is warmer than the Cirrus - good luck!

ChrisAU

WKR
Anybody got the Brooks glassing mitts? Tying to decide between them and the Enlightend Equipment version. The EE are $5 cheaper and 2.25 oz vs 3.5 (supposedly) but ya know FL fan boy and all.

eltaco

WKR
Just received my Brooks hooded down jacket so figured I’d throw an update. I can only compare against the KUIU Super Down as it’s my previous puffy. I’m 6’-1” and 170# and the Large fits well. For me, the KUIU was short and boxy, and the Brooks has a more athletic fit with longer arms and sits lower on the waistline. I much prefer the fit of the Brooks. Also, the fabric feels far more robust on the Brooks and isn’t nearly as loud... still not something I’ll stalk hunt in, but might actually work as an under layer. The dimensions and material are such that I’ll definitely wear this jacket outside of hunting, so I’m planning to get a lot of use out of this piece.

It appears the loft is less than the KUIU, though it did just come from the package so I’ve hung it to see if any volume springs back. Can’t comment on warmth as of yet.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Just received my Brooks hooded down jacket so figured I’d throw an update. I can only compare against the KUIU Super Down as it’s my previous puffy. I’m 6’-1” and 170# and the Large fits well. For me, the KUIU was short and boxy, and the Brooks has a more athletic fit with longer arms and sits lower on the waistline. I much prefer the fit of the Brooks. Also, the fabric feels far more robust on the Brooks and isn’t nearly as loud... still not something I’ll stalk hunt in, but might actually work as an under layer. The dimensions and material are such that I’ll definitely wear this jacket outside of hunting, so I’m planning to get a lot of use out of this piece.

It appears the loft is less than the KUIU, though it did just come from the package so I’ve hung it to see if any volume springs back. Can’t comment on warmth as of yet.

I'll echo this except I do think my Brooks is loftier than the Kuiu Super Down Ultra I had for a short time. Definitely a more durable piece too.

eltaco

WKR
I'll echo this except I do think my Brooks is loftier than the Kuiu Super Down Ultra I had for a short time. Definitely a more durable piece too.

Good info. I had the non-ultra so not sure of the difference.

I will say, the side baffles are really narrow and I can’t tell if there’s any fill in them at all. One difference between this and other lightweight down products I’ve owned, I can’t see thru it when held up to the light.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a backcountry forum, but anyone try/have experience with the solitude set? Wondering if it's worth it to transition away from my catalyst set to solitude for midwest whitetail.

Only reason I would upgrade is to see if the solitude set performs better in regards to wind resistance.

I know this is a backcountry forum, but anyone try/have experience with the solitude set? Wondering if it's worth it to transition away from my catalyst set to solitude for midwest whitetail.

Only reason I would upgrade is to see if the solitude set performs better in regards to wind resistance.

I believe the solitude set has the same textile package as the catalyst. I think the catalyst plus uncompaghre would give you the same insulation and probably same level of wind resistance. Although, the solitude is fleece lined so it would probably be more comfortable.

This is going by information given by First Lite. I haven’t yet tried the solitude personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the solitude set has the same textile package as the catalyst. I think the catalyst plus uncompaghre would give you the same insulation and probably same level of wind resistance. Although, the solitude is fleece lined so it would probably be more comfortable.

This is going by information given by First Lite. I haven’t yet tried the solitude personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. The only downfall of the catalyst set is it is absolutely not windproof or even resistant in the slightest lol...

I ran catalyst + cirrus last year, layered over anything from just fuse baselayers to fuse + furnace or klamath tops and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself sitting in 40-50F weather and even some 30-40F chilly mornings and staying pretty comfortable. I had an uncompahgre too but honestly couldn't notice much of a difference between that and the cirrus for warmth. Usually just a little but of additional insulation was sufficient enough to cut and keep a chill off.