2019 First Lite

How have you guys & gals that own the following pieces been liking them?

-Chamberlain
-New Furnace Merino
-Uncompaghre puff pants

I used a set of the Furnace Merino extensively last deer season for stand hunting. Love it! Very comfortable, warm, and never smelled. I got a 1/4 zip top so I could dump some heat.

I’m unimpressed with the brooks jacket specs personally. 100 g (or ~3.5 oz) of 800 fp down isn’t very warm.

In comparison. the new stone glacier down jacket is 5.5 ounces of 850 FP down.

You can compare the two by multiplying the fill power with the overall fill weight.

SG 850 x 5.5 = 4,675
FL 800 x 3.57 = 2,957

Dividing he two shows the SG is about 1.57x warmer and it only ways 1 oz more overall.

I have a Montbell permafrost parka that weighs 23 ounces so only 13 oz more than the brooks. It also has a gore windstopper layer so it’s wind proof and essentially water proof. It is 800 FP with 9 oz of down.

800 x 9 = 7200. So it’s 2.5x warmer than the FL brooks and it’s also got boxed baffles which are warmer, than stitch through baffles which I’m sure the brooks has.

As far as comparing down to synthetic i don’t think there is a mathematical way to compare the two.

If you’re looking at a mid level warmth down jacket I would probably check out the Montbell frostline. I believe it’s 7 ounces of 800 FP down for $289 @ 19.7 ounces overall or the Montbell permafrost light down parka. 4.2 oz of 800 fp down with a gore windstopper @ 15.8 ounces overall. You could also look at the SG down jacket, but at $330 vs $289 the Montbell jackets are warmer and cheaper. Also the kuiu super down pro is 5 oz of 850 FP but at $400 it’s more expensive and colder than the SG.

I have the uncompahgre hoody which I love, but it’s not as warm as I’d like. When it drops below 45 F and I’m not moving I have to layer it with a base layer, fleece, and an uncompahgre vest to stay comfortably warm. But then again, I’m a California boy who transplanted to Phoenix so you might be different.

I also own the kifaru LPP which is warmer but heavier and a lot louder than the uncompahgre.

Hope this helps.

Basically what I’m saying is the perfect puffy jacket doesn’t exist. If you want the perfect jacket you’re gonna need multiple jackets.
Thank you for this post. I just got back from a MT rifle hunt am now in search of a packable puffy.

mcape

FNG
I use the castalyst pant/jacket and pack the umcompahgre puffy. Great stuff

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
So my talus touch gloves appear to be poorly constructed. On several fingers the black stitching in the finger is severely becoming unraveled and separating. Also got a random hole in the one finger (even though i've only ever wore them on stand). And i'm only halfway through my whitetail season!

Overall i'm not terribly impressed with these gloves. They are thinner than the original talus gloves and the touch capability barely works (if it works at all). The fit is great but the poor construction and touch capability is disappointing. I have a warranty request out for them.

Hope FL goes back to the drawing board on these otherwise I can't see them staying in the catalog.

As an aside can someone recommend a similar midweight glove? How is the catalyst softshell? Can you wear that for archery w/ a release? Slim enough fingers to gun hunt with?

Last edited:
At the sheep show and snapped some photos for the FL. Some new gloves, couple new pants, new down jacket and the women’s catalyst set.

1d9d4436d59b3fd446186aea316c6b77.jpg
e1bd0630a07c56639069db8494c11fd5.jpg
ff43e39f5465905fea6aada1c4951502.jpg
719874c9cc5fb70b5810a7ffec0b3bc7.jpg
ba8e7d03ffb591976d546bb5af7f6ab0.jpg
babc59f5b5591d62de59ac73d036bc08.jpg
452b0f53db0c344887885f02d238e0da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any of you use the Uncompahgre Puffy Pant ? Looking to set up a light weight packable layer for ADK tracking.

I have for the past few seasons. They are a solid set of puffy pants although they aren’t super durable. But they aren’t really made to be durable. But I’ve used them a bunch the last 3 years and am super happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
Are they really warm? I’d buy them for the coldest of tree stand days. Anything negative about them?
Two negatives:
1. Don’t hike it them because they are a furnace
2. They’re not constructed to bust brush

They are extremely warm. I’ve hunted in 10°F-ish with a stiff breeze and stayed warm all day. The outer material is similar to spandex, thus the bibs are very quiet. The emergency rear zipper set up is great for when nature calls and you can take care of business without shedding the bibs. The hip pockets are nicely placed for small items while sitting in the stand (phone, calls, wind checker, etc).

I have the discontinued Woodbury jacket to go along with the Sanctuary bibs and it is similar to the Sanctuary jacket. The exterior is the same quiet exterior as the bibs. Again, extremely warm and comfortable even when shooting a bow. The Sanctuary jacket has more insulation than the Woodbury did.

My pants have been durable for climbing a stand when necessary. I caught a leg on a lone wolf stick climbing into my hang on and was sure I ripped the pants. Being a stretchy exterior, no damage was done. This is my third season with them and I’d buy them again without a doubt.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Are they really warm? I’d buy them for the coldest of tree stand days. Anything negative about them?

They’re fantastic.

I’ve been running them for 2 seasons and wear them for anything 40F and below.

No I don’t do any brush busting but I’m also not gentle with mine. No holes or trees or loose threads as far as I can tell. I will pack in parka as needed, which is most days. On bibs I will leave them unzipped halfway from waist to knee to prevent overheating.

They’re very warm, and has a ton of pockets and places for chemical warmers.

The only real negative might be the general bulk, but the cut in sleeves and torso is perfect for late season bow hunting.

If you’re looking for late season warmth you’d be hard pressed to find a better set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
I will comment on the sanctuary set as well, I bought mine this summer and have worn the set a few times already in cold temps, bibs I have worn less than the jacket and that is because I have found them to be kinda a pain to try and put on in the stand, good for short walks to the stand, I havent busted through any brush with mine because I'm gentle with them as well, the bibs are very warm like very, i havent played around with zipping and unzipping the legs for walking in but might have to try that, for sitting a long time in the cold they are the ticket, the jacket i literally have nothing but good things to say about, pockets are great, sleeve cut is awesome, doesn't feel bulky, it's some very nice gear

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I will comment on the sanctuary set as well, I bought mine this summer and have worn the set a few times already in cold temps, bibs I have worn less than the jacket and that is because I have found them to be kinda a pain to try and put on in the stand, good for short walks to the stand, I havent busted through any brush with mine because I'm gentle with them as well, the bibs are very warm like very, i havent played around with zipping and unzipping the legs for walking in but might have to try that, for sitting a long time in the cold they are the ticket, the jacket i literally have nothing but good things to say about, pockets are great, sleeve cut is awesome, doesn't feel bulky, it's some very nice gear

If I don't walk out with the zips open, I toss the pants on at the base of my stand and then climb up. It saves trying to put them on in a tight space.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
If I don't walk out with the zips open, I toss the pants on at the base of my stand and then climb up. It saves trying to put them on in a tight space.
Yeah I tried putting them on once in the treestand but that isn't for me only having one leg planted to the stand at times, putting on at the base of the tree doesn't sound like a bad idea though, thanks for the insight

ChrisAU

WKR
Some 2020 stuff is starting to leak. A Brooks Down Vest looks imminent, as well as a new color option (gray) coming.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Some 2020 stuff is starting to leak. A Brooks Down Vest looks imminent, as well as a new color option (gray) coming.

Gray would provide me with just another option of colors I could purchase for everyday wear.

I'm hoping they introduce a true wind proof outer layer (similar to the stratus) so I can replace my sitka jetstream with something quieter.

thej5

FNG
Technically direct to consumer but our local Scheels used to carry FL product and knew a lot about it...UNTIL the meateater acquisition and now they only have a handful of meateater branded products.

No idea how/why Scheels was able to carry *some* FL product but would sure be nice see it back in there.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Technically direct to consumer but our local Scheels used to carry FL product and knew a lot about it...UNTIL the meateater acquisition and now they only have a handful of meateater branded products.

No idea how/why Scheels was able to carry *some* FL product but would sure be nice see it back in there.

There are definitely times I would still pay some extra markup to just be able to try a piece on. The annoyance of having to exchange some things does get to me at some points.