2019 Fitness Goals

I'm just getting into running. When I started I couldn't complete a mile. Lost 40lbs and completed a mini marathon 13.1 all in preparation for first solo backpack hunt. Now I'm addicted to running.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
another month down :)

I had a good November as far as mileage is concerned, just shy of 200 miles (most of it w/ a 20-ish lb pack and even some snowshoeing miles in there too), bringing me to 1740 for the year- won't make 2000, but should be knocking at the door of 1900 me thinks

my strength training waned a bit with hunting season, going to start hitting it harder now that deer/elk season is over

twall13

WKR
November was a pretty good month for me as well. I broke the 1,000 mile mark, which was fun to see. The snow came towards the end of the month and I've been running with microspikes for a few weeks now. Not as comfortable and slower with those conditions but I still prefer it to a treadmill.

Running Miles: 853.5
Hiking Miles: 186.5
Total Trail Miles: 1,040 of 1095 Goal
Total Elevation Gain: 118,630 ft.

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Current stats against my Jan 1 goals:

1500 miles ran 1,923.8 YTD
100K elevation gain 124,774 ft elevation (71,657 outside/53,117 treadmill)
A 50k Ultra finish Finished OPSF 50k in March in 7hr 39min
A 50 Mile Ultra finish DQ'd for time at Dances With Dirt Gnaw Bone 50m at mile 40 👎
A finish at this years Jackson County 50/50 in the 50 mile division Race isn't until Dec. 7th
24lbs of weight loss, down to 185 Gained weight, strangely. Sitting @ 200#
And finally, 15 pullups in a set. Doing 6 at a time, don't think I'll make it to 15/set this year.

Gearing up for Jackson in two days. Tomorrow is my final day of taper, going for a 2 mile jog with my Aussie, then pack up and head to the hotel and dinner (awesome pizza and even better craft beer, my pre-race tradition). Feeling really good about my training, my fitness, and my capability. Weather forecast looks great, 45 and sunny with no wind, so I am definitley excited about a chance at redemption from last year. I will definitley try to update the thread on Sunday with results.

Gotta get my diet together, on the other side. That weight gain is weird, but I have been tapering for three weeks and eating about the same. Just another piece to the puzzle. On a positive note, this is the best I have felt during a hunting season that I can remember ever, and my new doctor told me I am one of the fittest people she sees 😁

Unobogus

FNG
Getting better overall fitness. Working on the big 50 this year and want to live many more healthy years.
Have lost 23 lbs. in the last few months. Recovering from shoulder surgery and the flexibility and motion
are not quite there yet.
The stair climber is my nemesis at the moment, man does that get my heart pounding.
The spin bike seems to be great for me right now.

Good luck to all. Stay motivated
Good for you, I'm right behind you in age and I'm looking to get in overall better shape. I still work a lot of hours but I need to make time to exercise and stretch everyday. Good luck

*zap*

WKR
63 years old and am very happy with the progress made this year. Looking forward to crushing the remainder of my physical fitness wish list by summer and then maintaining things from that point out.

My goal now is to lose 15 lbs, maintain the strength I have and to run 2-3 times a week. Plus stairmonster twice a week either after weight lifting or running.

Also, I need to add some core and rotator cuff exercises to my regime.

So far I have gotten stronger (benched 315 for a sold set of 4 this morning), gained weight (added 5lbs since mid november), ran a couple times a week and totally abandoned core work. 2020 will be my year lol

TreGrizz

FNG
Going to piggy back on your thread.

This was my first year participating in hunting, and i took it pretty serious. I had a goal to lose 30 lbs before October. The week of the hunt, i had lost 55 lbs by eating better, lifting weights, and a bit of cardio. The weight loss really helped out a ton! I have since gained 15 lbs back, but plan to go back on the wagon beginning next year. My new goal will be to put some miles in the mountains. Working the muscles in the same way I will use them in October will be super helpful.

twall13

WKR
Well I was hoping to get one more run in yesterday or today but I've been sick and busy with end of year stuff at work so it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Either way, I reached my goal before Christmas so I'm happy. Still working out exactly what I want to do for next year but I have a few ideas I'll solidify in the next week or so. Here's my final 2019 report.

Running Miles: 935
Hiking Miles: 189
Total Trail Miles: 1124 of 1095 Goal (3 miles/day avg.)
Total Elevation Gain: 126,700

It's always fun to track along on these threads and see everyone's progress; thanks to all who participated regularly and helped me stay motivated.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
great job Gents!

a little short of my 2000 goal, but am happy with my mileage @ 1859
running miles-196, skiing/snowshoeing miles- 267, hiking miles- 1396

I would say that close to half those miles were w/ a 20-40 lbs pack too, a good chunk snowshoeing/skiing

I've also made pretty decent gains on my deadlifts/squats/bench/overhead press over the past year