2019 Fitness Goals

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
It was mentioned in the old thread that we needed to start a 2019 thread, so I'll see if we can get this going.

Last year I started running trails with my eye on completing my first ultra (a 50 mile race through a state park here in IN, the Jackson Co 50/50). I did not finish the race, completing 31 miles in 9hrs, and letting my head get in my way telling me I didn't have time to finish the last two 10 mile laps before the cutoff (I had 7 hrs left). The fact that we were losing light and the trail conditions let me psych myself out, and I'm not proud of that. That being said, I ended my year with 953 miles ran, 62.5K feet of elevation climbed (no small feat never leaving Indiana!), and a fifteen pound weight loss, from 223 to 208.

This years goals are:

1500 miles ran
100K elevation gain
A 50k Ultra finish
A 50 Mile Ultra finish
A finish at this years Jackson County 50/50 in the 50 mile division
24lbs of weight loss, down to 185
And finally, 15 pullups in a set.

Share away, and lets see if we can keep this thread going all year with updates!

JasonWi

WKR
Good for you on the things you did achieve! The goals you've set this year are good ones and I'm sure you'll be thrilled as you check each one off your list.

My goals aren't anywhere near that lofty. Recover from an elbow injury so I can start lifting again and shooting my bow. My main cardio goal for the year is to reach 2019 miles, jog/hike/bike/dog walk, etc. It doesn't matter how I achieve them just reach that threshold. I enjoy varying my cardio types up so it's kind of fun to see how many miles from each activity I will get? So far I've logged about 55 miles since the 1st in a variety of ways.

Weight loss goal is to drop about 10-15#. I would like to come in around 200# by August.

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you on the things you did achieve! The goals you've set this year are good ones and I'm sure you'll be thrilled as you check each one off your list.

My goals aren't anywhere near that lofty. Recover from an elbow injury so I can start lifting again and shooting my bow. My main cardio goal for the year is to reach 2019 miles, jog/hike/bike/dog walk, etc. It doesn't matter how I achieve them just reach that threshold. I enjoy varying my cardio types up so it's kind of fun to see how many miles from each activity I will get? So far I've logged about 55 miles since the 1st in a variety of ways.

Weight loss goal is to drop about 10-15#. I would like to come in around 200# by August.

Thanks! Good luck with your goals this year too, I know how aggravating it can be trying to come back from an injury. You want to get out and work but know you don't want to hurt yourself worse.

1200 Mtn Bike miles
250 running miles (mostly trail for me)
100 hiking miles
Master this fan bike and get more consistent/stronger with kettlebells. (Using a 54lb and a 70lb now, want to get better with the 70).

I’d like to weigh between 160-170 by the end of this year, I’m sitting a post-holiday binge weight of around 190-195 I would guess. I’ve not been on a scale in a while but I think another 20 lbs down would have me in pretty darn good shape.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Getting better overall fitness. Working on the big 50 this year and want to live many more healthy years.
Have lost 23 lbs. in the last few months. Recovering from shoulder surgery and the flexibility and motion
are not quite there yet.
The stair climber is my nemesis at the moment, man does that get my heart pounding.
The spin bike seems to be great for me right now.

Good luck to all. Stay motivated

Lawnboi

WKR
I want to run atleast a trail half marathon this year, and do at least one mountain bike race.

Iv been an avid trail runner and mountain biker for years and have always thought of trying a couple races but never have.

Other than be overall better, I don’t have anything to really lose, I did want to do something to keep me going through the winter, other than snow shoeing which I get sick of real quick. Picked up a pair of Xc skis and have been going a few times a week.

I do need to clean up my diet, not to lose weight but to quit taking in so many garbage calories.

ljalberta

WKR
I'd like to drop 15lbs by September. This might be the last year for a few that I can dedicate 2 straight weeks to sheep hunting, so I want to maximize my chances in this regard.

Last year I hit 115# (+water) pack weight for my short/low/heavy ruck hunting prep. My goal was 120#(+water).
This year I want to hit the 120# (+water) ruck weight

Last year I hit 12.5mi/1,760 vert ft on my moderate distance/vert/weight ruck day. My goal was 15mi./1,800 vert ft
This year I want to hit that 15mi./1,800 vert ft

Last year I hit 14hrs./9,000+ vert ft on my long/high/light ruck day. That was right in the neighborhood of what I wanted to accomplish. These were scouting days. I'm only counting the actual time hiking and not time out in the mountains total.
Next year I want to have more days out with this kind of volume.

Last year the vast majority of my shooting was precision rifle oriented at the range
This year I want to get back to my old of standard field position shooting in the mountains at least one day a week from April - August depending on snow levels, snow quality and spring avalanche danger.

My primary lifts I would like to add 20# to my squat and deadlift training max, 15# to my bench training max and 10# to my overhead press training max before starting hunting specific training.
I would like to at least maintain strength levels through hunting prep and not go backwards with the strength-endurance training volume increases. I don't know how realistic that is at 52yrs old?

I want to maintain 4.5hrs of hard Martial Arts/combat sports training and 3hrs of technical weapon/combatives training a week up until opening day.

smitty661

FNG
Right now my goal is to run a half marathon in April and i have a goal of running 1000 miles this year. In the process im planning to lose 50 lbs. Starting weight was 290 currently 280 and im 28 miles into my goal. As the weight drops i will mix in strength training.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my goal for 2019 is the same as has been the last three years- 2000 trail miles (hiking/running/snowshoeing)- I've come up a little short the last three years (1850-1950 miles), but pretty damn close :)

will participate again in the 2019 Bob Marshall Open again this year (will be my 5th year), probably a couple of local mountain 50k's

continue to strength train twice a week, some small gains in deadlifts/squats/bench/overhead press would certainly be welcome

twall13

WKR
So last year my running goal was 700 miles which I came up about 50 miles short after breaking my foot. This year I'm wanting to do an average of 3 trail miles per day, which would be 1095 miles this year. Honestly I'd be happy with 1000 but I'm going to set the higher goal to push myself. For this year I'm going with hiking or trail running as "trail miles". Next year I might add mountain biking but I'll leave it out for this year. I've never tracked elevation gain but I'm curious about where I'm at so I'm going to track it this year to get a baseline for setting goals for next year. As of today I'm at:

Running- 24.82 Miles
Hiking- 13.18 Miles
Total Miles- 38
Total Elevation Gain- 5,781 Ft.

I'm already a bit behind but that should tick up a little when the snow starts melting. I'm never as fast in the snowy, icy conditions so my mileage dips a bit...

JasonWi

WKR
My elbow is making slow progress after a few treatments with US.

Since I haven't been able to lift the cardio sessions are really adding up. I've completed 125.55 miles so far this month.

tjthebest

FNG
my goal for 2019 is the same as has been the last three years- 2000 trail miles (hiking/running/snowshoeing)- I've come up a little short the last three years (1850-1950 miles), but pretty damn close :)

will participate again in the 2019 Bob Marshall Open again this year (will be my 5th year), probably a couple of local mountain 50k's

continue to strength train twice a week, some small gains in deadlifts/squats/bench/overhead press would certainly be welcome

How are you breaking out your strength training during the week? Do you squat and deadlift each session and then alternate the press/bench? Kinda like a starting strength model but only 2 days a week?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm doing Wendler 5/3/1, but lifting squats and bench one day and deadlifts and overhead press the other; thus far it's been working really well- I add pull-ups, dips and core to squats/bench day and chin-ups, lunges and core to deadlift/press day.

He advocates lifting 4 times a week, I just don't have the time while hitting the trails 4-5 times a week

I'm on crutches for another week or so. Been on them since Dec 19, doing what I can non-weight bearing, but falling behind as far as fitness. I usually go 245-250 with a 36" waist. I'd like to get down around 220 with a 34" waist. I'm hoping once I'm healed I can do more intense cardio, since I have had to tone that back the past year.

Brendan

WKR
I'll chime in.

Goal number one is get healthy. Been fighting tennis elbow in my right arm and then bicep tendon in left shoulder and left elbow so haven't really shot my bow since October. Am back to doing daily rehab lifting now, lots of stretching and foam rolling as things are on the mend.

My knees are acting up more than in the past, pretty sure I have meniscus / cartilage issues in my left knee so am not running anymore, and am doing more biking, stair climber, walking.

Bought a new mountain bike to go with the road bike, targeting a 100 mile ride/race in May on the road bike, and then potentially a 100K on the mountain bike in June.

Trying to drop 10 pounds, get leaner and lighter earlier this year.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
I here you Cedar. I had some major recovery after shoulder surgery. My mistake was quitting all fitness together for 4 months. I could of and should of started some cardio earlier than I did. Now I'm fighting to get back to square 1. Amazing how quickly I turned into the Pillsbury doughboy

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Brendan running is great exercise (especially trail running), but for hunting shape- hiking/biking/stair machines/etc are just as effective imo (especially hiking that includes decent ascent/descent, uneven ground, occasionally some weight on your back)

this time of year, nothing whips me into shape more than snowshoeing- significantly more effort/mile, hits all the muscles/tendons/ligaments (hip flexors really get a workout!), core, works on balance, the list goes on :)