2019 Initial Ascent Gen II pack review.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
1067322c4911e979038e0431427c18d9.jpg

0fa719254c28468ca8f5a4e63bdbc214.jpg

Here it is. realunlucky and myself will be kinda collaborating on the 2019 Gen II Initial Ascent Pack. Tag along if ya like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks somewhat similar to an EXO, how do you like it so far?

I haven’t spent a lot of time with it yet. The Gen I was great for a “first”, although they hit the ground running with that pack because of all the revisions they went through before they released it. I was lucky to see the changes in this bag, in person, awhile back, before its release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright I'd better tag in here too. I'm still feeling pretty dang Lucky to get to be apart of this review. I received the new Initial Ascent pack a few weeks ago and look forward to sharing my thoughts on it.
2c6b88f9de5b8a5647fab98331258e2a.jpg
816363b1fef1880b4125f1859ec4bd5a.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

aion2come

WKR
What is the lateral movement on the frame like? I have used the early Exo packs, Kifaru, and Horn Hunter. I have found that I like the lateral movement on the early Exo. Hated the rigidity of the Horn Hunter. The Kifaru has enough lateral movement to be plenty comfortable, though I would like a bit more. So ... what does that look like on this pack frame?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the lateral movement on the frame like? I have used the early Exo packs, Kifaru, and Horn Hunter. I have found that I like the lateral movement on the early Exo. Hated the rigidity of the Horn Hunter. The Kifaru has enough lateral movement to be plenty comfortable, though I would like a bit more. So ... what does that look like on this pack frame?
It's hard for me to quantify lateral movement without comparing the same loads in the packs being discussed. Can you narrow the question down a bit? Are you asking if you can pivot your upper body while the pack is loaded down? Ball park figure of what loaded down is?
I've had some 100+ loads on both the Integrous frame and my duplex frame.

aion2come

WKR
It's hard for me to quantify lateral movement without comparing the same loads in the packs being discussed. Can you narrow the question down a bit? Are you asking if you can pivot your upper body while the pack is loaded down? Ball park figure of what loaded down is?
I've had some 100+ loads on both the Integrous frame and my duplex frame.

I'd say first, with no load. Just putting the frame on the floor and flexing it side to side, like you would if you had the pack on and were turning and looking back while still facing forward. Then let's say at 50 lbs, a typical pack-in load.

Last edited: