2019 MN Buck

This might get kind of long but here's my 2019 Whitetail hunt.
As I sat in my stand on the fourth day of the MN rifle season, I reflected on how I had come to be sitting in this particular tree. The average person would look at it and never appreciate why this was the tree I was spending my time in, from my vantage point I could see 2 houses and I was only about 15 feet off of a sod covered private logging road. On the weekend it wasn’t uncommon for the neighbor to drive literally under my stand as he drove to his property twice a day. Opening morning at daylight he had stopped under my stand to roll his window down and shout to me “Hey, I just saw 3 deer headed this way back on the other side of the ridge”. “Thanks” I said in as hushed of a voice as I could. It wasn’t a surprise to me, I was expecting him, and the does he had warned me were in route. On any given day there were about a half dozen does and fawns that were using this area to go back into a large chunk of private property to bed after a night of feeding on an alfalfa field a mile away . They were half the reason I was down here, this was the furthest point I could intercept these deer that was still on ground I had permission to hunt. Even at this point most mornings these few does and fawns were moving through this funnel right at daylight, generally an hour into legal shooting light and rush was over. My hope was to catch a buck cruising behind them. 3 years into hunting this spot that hadn’t happened yet but as I sat back reflecting on everything I decided to myself, no matter if I saw a buck in this spot all season, this is where this stand needed to be. Wind wise it was safe for most of the prevalent winds we could expect, access was easy, and my vantage point was about as good as I could get.
At about 4 o’clock the first group of does showed up, 2 adults and a fawn, they were super cautious, spending about half an hour working their way 100 yards along their trail. I watched them intently, this doe was a total pain in my rear, she was always on alert, last season she was the only one out of 10 deer that picked me out of a 16’ ladder stand. She couldn’t figure out what I was, and couldn’t get my wind, but where I’d watched 7 or 8 deer pass without a hitch, she stopped and knew something was up and spent half an hour watching me to make a move, finally she took another way, but refused to pass where all the others had ahead of her. Between her and a yippy neighbor dog that year, I’d had to relocate my stand.
On opening day of the previous year the neighbors had let their little Terrier our to do his morning business, unfortunately for me, while the wind was perfect for me to elude the deer I was hunting, it was also perfect to let the vile little beast know that someone was in his back yard. My first encounter with this issue began with a full 30 minutes of the little monster barking at me from 30 yards away, intertwined with his owner yelling his name every few minutes, then culminating with his elderly female owner getting the car out of the garage and honking the horn repeatedly for a solid minute to make him think she was going to town, which was a tactic that failed to achieve the desired result. Finally resigning myself to the fact that my hunt was shot at 8am opening morning, I got out of my ladder and tried to collect the little bastard for her, which turned into getting snarled at as he retreated down the hill in front of me until his owner was able to pick him up. She apologized profusely and I did my best to be polite as I left. My uncle later made the diplomatic decision to call her and politely negotiate the dog’s detention during the remainder of the season. This was great until about 4 days later while hunting the same tree, this time I had ditched the ladder in favor of my climber to gain some elevation. My level of irritation escalated quickly this time as the same scenario played out. This time however diplomacy failed and while not one of my finer moments, I had to inform his elderly female owner that in lough of the horn honking not working she would actually have to walk up the hill to collect him, because I was in a climbing stand and If I had to come down out of my tree again things were not going to end well for her noisy single minded companion. Unfortunately the words “Needs to be euthanized” were part of the exchange. (The dog had a lengthy track record of being a neighborhood annoyance, unfortunately if any harm ever befell the little mutt my dad’s displeasure with the dog had made him a prime suspect. Lucky had gone missing for several days at one point which prompted an accusatory phone call, which eventually proved to be unfounded when his owners discovered him locked in the garage where they had forgotten him)
Going into this season my uncle again made a phone call to negotiate Lucky’s incarceration. Somewhere along the way I overheard some skepticism by said neighbor about my choices in hunting location, which wasn’t without merit. We had hundreds of acres of private land to hunt, and thousands of acres of adjoining state and federal forest. This particular piece of property was actually a 40 acre parcel, it probably did seem kind of strange that I would spend all of my time in a spot that was within 100 yards of 2 houses and overlooking a septic mount. If it wasn’t for this picture, I would probably agree with them.

cropped10.jpg

OP
S
Since buying my first decent trail camera three years ago I’d been pretty diligent about getting cameras out early and spending time in the woods finding deer and figuring out different areas and stands. This year between my wife, our 13 month old son, work, and a 10 day hunt out of state, I was definitely not ahead of the curve for preseason white tail preparation. I finally got my cameras out 2 weeks ahead of season, and after my first check I was pleasantly surprised to see a buck I was pretty familiar with from the previous year. He had been a pretty distinct 3 year old 8 point last year, this year he had become the biggest 10 point I'd ever gotten on camera. I had many pictures of this buck, however last year he had been extremely nocturnal. I only had 2 pictures of him in legal shooting light that season, once at the end of October, and another after rifle season. I had spent some extensive time figuring this area out over several seasons and was pretty confident that my odds were low but that it was the best thing I had going. I was aware that it was going to take 3 things to make something happen, 1) not blowing the spot out 2) grinding out as many mornings and evenings in the stand as I could 3) A lot of luck that I could catch him or another buck hitting this spot between does and in legal shooting light. It had been an unfounded theory for 2 seasons, but like I said, it was the best thing I had going.
After what seemed like forever the last doe in the group of 3 bounded across the road and proceeded to work here way along one of the trails that would bring them around my Aunts cabin and back to the ridge top that was the prevalent travel way they seemed to favor to get to the distant alfalfa field. As I watched her go I wondered if these deer would still be drawn to that field when the alfalfa stand was depleted. It was on its third year so it had some mileage left in it, but the farmer that was responsible for it was nearing retirement and it was unlikely that anyone else would be making the investment in dry land alfalfa after he pulled the pin. These were the types of things that passed through my mind as I sat this spot. I continued to watch to the south along the trail that the does had just come from. Nothing. I looked around again, taking in the aspen regrowth and scattered hardwoods.
Twenty feet was the magic number apparently. I had used 20 feet of Menards climbing sticks to get into this oak. It was a pretty impressive old tree, wider than I was it was perfect to break up my outline and I was high enough to dissipate scent and stay out of peripheral vision. I had had a doe and fawn walk directly under me on opening morning and not even hesitate, between that and these 3 moving through I was feeling extremely confident in my spot. I looked around again and decided, it might not be tonight, it might not be this season, but if I can put the time in here, sooner or later something should connect. I’d probably spent 15 nights hunting this funnel during rifle season in the last 3 years, 6 different trees, but this was the best so far. I had tried to make a ladder stand work for this season but just didn’t have the confidence in how it was situated. After some consideration and brainstorming I finally decided to order a new stand to replace my 10 year old Menards Hang on. It had been a decent stand but there was always a minor squeak I could never seem to shake. After a lot of deliberation I pulled the trigger on a Lone Wolf Alpha off of Amazon Prime the Sunday night before opener. It arrived Wednesday and I’m embarrassed to say I was hanging it at noon the day before opener. My sticks had been in place for a week, but I still felt pretty stupid as I drove past my Aunts cabin up the road to throw it up for the next day’s hunt. I rationalized that at 10:30 in the morning most of the movement had taken place for the day and my truck would be a little less disruptive going down the road if anything was in the area. Much to my surprise as I rounded the corner, in front of me, doing exactly what I was hoping a buck would do, in exactly the spot I thought he should be, was a pretty decent basket 8 point. I think we were both equally surprised. I got several fleeting glimpses of him as he took off back into the woods to the south. A shot of adrenalin had my heart thumping as I drove to the end of the road where the neighbor’s property started and turned around. I had a camera here so I stopped and switched cards to kill a little time, then went back to where I needed to hang my stand. I’d love to say that this went without a hitch but I soon found I was missing a strap to complete the operation. The really great thing is that after only 2 hours, a trip back to my house, my brother’s place where I had dropped off my camper, and then back again to the stand, I found the errant strap on the ground, presumably under where my truck had been parked. Par for the course in my world these days.
One thing about this area of the family farm was the prevalence of black phase grey squirrels, if you saw one you were bound to see 2 or 3. When we were kids growing up it was unusual to see one, now they seemed to be taking over. I watched one rustle along the old road bed, a few hours ago about a dozen turkeys had worked their way through the same leaves, another critter that had become pretty prevalent in the last few years.
Out of the corner of my eye I picked up some movement to the North, I looked to the far reaches of the area I could see, and slowly working through the aspen was a deer. He was moving from my right to my left about 80 yards away and while it wasn’t dark, there was only about 30 minutes of shooting light left. Between trees and fading sunlight I couldn’t tell much with my eyes, I pulled my Model 70 up and got a glimpse of him as he passed through an opening. My Nikon was dialed down to 4.5, through it I didn’t get a great look but I could tell he was something. He was working his way through 12” aspen at the base of a small rise, the direction he was going wasn’t going to give me much time to make a decision. I caught him in another opening and again got a glimpse and could tell there was some kind of mass, he wasn’t one of the 3 year olds I had on camera. “I better do something about this” was the thought that went through my mind as I made my decision. He worked his way into another opening, I flipped my safety off, put the cross hairs on him and squeezed the trigger. Almost immediately he jumped straight up into the air, I watched for a second and as he hit the ground he wheeled and made a mad dash south. Caught up in the moment and watching him running all out from my right to my left, crossing straight in front me and headed south I had a sinking feeling. He was cruising. I bolted another round in and tried to find him as he ran by, this time about 40 yards straight in front of me, through the brush and trees I tried a wild shot out of desperation but knew it was a miss as soon as I squeezed the trigger. The sound of his hooves going all out in the leaves was very distinct in the silence of the woods. I watched as he hit the road, trying to anticipate where he was going to end up, hoping for another shot. Just as he hit the road, he stumbled. Halfway across he went to his knees and by the time he got the 20’ to the other side he was totally down, skidding to a halt underneath a small pile of branches I had piled off of the road edge when I trimmed a shooting lane. It took my brain about 2 seconds to process everything I had just witnessed. I watched him, half expecting him to get up but his head had gone down and he didn’t seem to be going anywhere. My heart was racing. I watched for another second shaking a little. When I was confident he wasn’t getting up I clumsily collected my stuff, unloaded my gun and worked my way out of my stand. I hit the ground and stumbled a little bit on my way over to him. I got to him, moved some of the brush and right away saw the mainframe I had become familiar with. I took a step back and it all finally hit me, I’d actually gotten him! From the time I’d seen those first pictures this season I’d been pretty cautious about getting to far ahead of myself. I’d shown a few people the trail camera pics but usually followed it up with “It’s going to be painful when someone else gets him” with a laugh. And here he was, and to top it all off, he was only about 3 feet off of the road bed. There are times in life when you know you can’t get any luckier. The 150 grain 300wsm had taken the top of his heart off, and in his final moments he covered about 80 yards of ground at a dead run, and stopped 3 feet from where we could back a truck up. I expect this whole experience to come at a cost some day, I know I’ve never done anything to deserve it.
I remember letting out 3 loud whoops as the light was fading. I got on my phone and called my dad and brother, I let my aunt know about the success and we had him tagged and loaded up by the time full dark had set in. My only regret was trying to get some decent pictures of him after dark. He weighed 190 dressed and my uncle rough scored him at 148”. I’m pretty sure I first got a picture of him 2 seasons ago as a 2 ½ year old, this is the first time I had ever laid eyes on him. While it’s exhilarating when something like this comes together, it’s also pretty humbling to know all of the things beyond your control that have to fall into place for it to happen.

Big Hank.jpg

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
One of the best hunting stories I've ever read here at the 'slide..
Thanks for taking the time, and congratulations on a fantastic buck.

You were wrong about about a couple of things: you did deserve that deer! You put in your time and effort. And you paid major dues hunting an urban buck fraught with the nuances that a setting like that brings. Dogs, people, chaos---all things anathema to our 'perfect' stand.
Sometimes we have a tendency to overthink things, I know I do.
My wife helped a neighbor look for a deer he shot (and never recovered) about ten years ago; the wounded deer came onto our place and in the process she and the other searchers seemingly trashed our bedding area with noise and human scent. I was out of town but that is how she described the afternoon.
But later that day she did the unthinkable, at the recommendation of one of the fellas she reluctantly climbed into the compromised stand, he told her that during the rut all bets are off. He was right, and she killed her best buck--a 140" mainframed 8. The point is, sometimes things come together and we just need to get out there and do our best.

Sorry for the lengthy posting, I really enjoyed this thread. Your humility and perseverance were rewarded!

Last edited:

jsb

FNG
Great story and great buck. I hunt a stand in my "neighborhood" and a lot of these challenges and annoyances you describe are familiar to me. But it's all comes with the territory and I have learned that if the area quiets down for even 15-20 minutes before the end of shooting light, anything can happen.

wseidel

WKR
Great story and wonderful writing, Silveroddo - you captured so many emotional highs and lows of the hunt that we can all relate to. Thank you for taking the time to share your hunt and congratulations on a dandy buck.

OP
S
Thanks everyone, when I started writing It kind of took on a mind of its own and I was kind of hesitant to put it up due to its length,, but I really wanted to tell the story because of the nuances and parts of it that were a little less than conventional. I truly appreciate the kind words and support.