2019 Montana Velvet Whitetail

Gumbo

WKR
I shot this buck on opening afternoon of archery season in a creek bottom on public land in NE Montana. He was with 2 other bucks, including a hard-horned buck that was maybe a touch bigger. I spotted them about 200 yards away munching and milling around in a creek bottom after about 24 hours of consistent rain and drizzle. I snuck in and made a good shot and he bolted. Pretty surreal hunt and experience, and the deer was absolutely beautiful in his perfect velvet and summer hide with bright orange head patch, not to mention the huge body size.

This is what I saw walking up on him:
20190907_161703.jpg

Here he is:
cropped deer.jpg

I am truly humbled and feel incredibly blessed to have been able to experience this hunt, even if it means my 2019 deer hunt lasted less than an hour!

Velvet tails are sweet! Nice buck congrats! Just make sure you take to someone to inject the horns and preserve them properly. Be prepared for some shrinkage it happens no way to prevent it with velvet.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
An hour, very well spent and one that will give you many years of smiles and great memories.

Congratulations.

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
Thanks guys, it was definitely a unique experience on several levels, even after 25+ years of bowhunting. The real amazing thing is that my two buddies also shot nice bucks within an hour of mine!

That’s a very nice deer. One thing I will miss is whitetail hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mym93

FNG
One hour or 10, it's still something you'll remember forever, great buck! I've never had the chance to kill a velvet buck but I am hoping to change that next year.