2019 MT Deer/Elk Trip Report

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Trip and Gear Report

Trip Thoughts: I had an awesome time but feel like I had just sprinted a marathon. It was pack out after pack out and I think the grind caused me to lower my deer standards. I’m not upset with the deer I killed but think a slower week would have had me feeling less stressed about filling the tag. Having the large group was cool but also more time consuming. Truthfully going into hunting season with a good meat supply in the freezer is going to be the only thing that would make me pickier. Hopefully I can tag a few MI deer this year, justify buying a second freezer, and be headed into next season with a good meat pile. Every year I wish I took more pictures and this year is no different. Next year I’ll work to try and document more of the trip and take more scenery pictures. I noticed that I’ve had a lot less questions this year. Hopefully that means I’m starting to figure it out. If anyone has questions about planning, hunting, or the gear we used I’ll gladly help as best I can but still consider myself a journeyman at best.

Noteworthy Gear: Timberline pants I love the waterproof knees and seat in the snow. Mid-week I switched pants and realized how helpful those features were. If they added hip vents, they would be the perfect pant. The Kuiu Talus pants have caught my eye, but don’t seem to have as much knee waterproofing. As always gaiters are amazing in deep snow. It kept our pants, socks, and feet dry. Trekking poles were mandatory for packing heavy loads down the snow-covered hills. We ended up sharing one pole with the cousins when packing out and I wish I had two a few times.

Disappointing Gear: first lite neck gaiter. It would get wet and freeze and being wool it had a hard time drying. Fingerless gloves. I loved them for warmer temps, but need something that covers my finger tips in these colder temps.

Gear to Buy/Consider: Going to be trying to sweet talk the lady into “investing” in some Swarovski SLCs as they are about the only way we’ll be able to eat next winter. Hopefully a spotting scope to follow down the road. Also thinking about getting a synthetic base layer and facemask for quicker drying times. Looking at the sitka core heavyweight hoody and the kryptek cronos hoody. Less aggressive blade for folding saw. Wood blades are not so sweet for skull capping deer and elk. Look at bulk packs of wool gloves that I can cycle thru based on dryness. I think I’ve got the system that works for me pretty set so hoping to see less and less in this category going forward.