2019 Mule deer hunt

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everybody,

Been wanting to do a hunt out west for a long time and have been dragging my feet but I'm finally all in. Looking for an area I can get an OTC tag or draw easily. Not looking for huge bucks, would even take a doe tag. Figured mule deer would be a good way to cut my teeth on a solo hunt. I have extensive backpacking experience and have done quite few western trails and pretty tough hikes. If I have to put in a lot of miles to get on deer or get away from people I'll do it. I'd just like an opportunity to see deer and get a few stalks.

I should also add I hunt exclusively with a traditional bow. I'm fully aware I'll probably be eating my tag and I'm ok with that. I'd like to find an area that's conducive to getting close, I'm assuming thick cover and broken terrain would be helpful.

Any input on areas to look into that would fit the bill? Would also appreciate any helpful advice for someone heading out west for the first time.

Thanks
Max

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
maxpetros

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
If all you want is to hunt mule deer and trophy size isn't and issue honestly pick your favorite western state that has easy access tags and go for it. Most of the popular western mule deer states produce enough deer that you can hunt many many units and get what you are after. Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona..... They all have hunts you could do next year and be hunting and seeing deer. If you love to backpack high country archery tags are really fun. If you haven't packed an animal out before I would recommend training with a 60 lb pack to get your back and shoulders used to abuse. As far as advice I would say read one of the many books out there on hunting mule deer because they all in one way or another give you an idea of how to do it and what you need. Subscribing to a research service can help you narrow down your search a lot quicker for where you can get a tag in an area with a fair number of deer. Or you could just do the research yourself on the states website..... Anyways good luck.
Thanks for the info! Definitely just looking to hunt and not picky. I'd love a chance at a mature buck but if it's not in the cards I'll take what I can get. I have a decent amount of experience rucking with 75+ pounds as wel as extended backpacking trips with lighter weight loads; so I'm not too worried about the packout. Definitely will train hard before I head out. Any recommendations for good books on hunting muley's?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the info! Definitely just looking to hunt and not picky. I'd love a chance at a mature buck but if it's not in the cards I'll take what I can get. I have a decent amount of experience rucking with 75+ pounds as wel as extended backpacking trips with lighter weight loads; so I'm not too worried about the packout. Definitely will train hard before I head out. Any recommendations for good books on hunting muley's?

Robby Denning, Hunting Big Mule Deer. He's a certified LEGEND. Dwight Schuh has a good book on hunting mule deer as well as the Eastmans

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
maxpetros

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Ordered the edge, Robby dennings book, and Dwight Shuhs book.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everybody,

Been wanting to do a hunt out west for a long time and have been dragging my feet but I'm finally all in. Looking for an area I can get an OTC tag or draw easily. Not looking for huge bucks, would even take a doe tag. Figured mule deer would be a good way to cut my teeth on a solo hunt. I have extensive backpacking experience and have done quite few western trails and pretty tough hikes. If I have to put in a lot of miles to get on deer or get away from people I'll do it. I'd just like an opportunity to see deer and get a few stalks.

I should also add I hunt exclusively with a traditional bow. I'm fully aware I'll probably be eating my tag and I'm ok with that. I'd like to find an area that's conducive to getting close, I'm assuming thick cover and broken terrain would be helpful.

Any input on areas to look into that would fit the bill? Would also appreciate any helpful advice for someone heading out west for the first time.

Thanks
Max

I’d go to Nevada or Oregon. Spot and stalk mule deer in high country. I know you can get OTC tags in Oregon and have 4-5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk