2019 Mule Deer Semi-Live Rut Hunt

kiddogy

WKR
Turned the heck out of my right ankle in my backyard about a week and a half before antelope, so mid October, and apparently I'm going to have to go to the doctor. It popped pretty good when I did it but nothing crazy and didn't really bother me until I did my combi antelope and phez hunt.

Its probably taken me out of being very effective at elk hunting. My archery season didn't amount to much and my rifle elk may be less. I picked this up this morning and hope it helps some this week.
View attachment 132131

I also ended up in urgent care last Sunday morning after getting a spec of wood in my right eye the night before while using a saw. It scratched the heck out of my eye and hurt like hell until the doc got it out. He tortured me using novacaine drops, dye, a black light, and a swab poked way back in my eye to remove a spec that felt like a giant splinter.

In other words, I've tried hard to cancel hunting season by just working around my house.
how's the ankle healing up?
I took a fall on my antelope hunt , first weekend in nov , and sprained my ankle pretty good myself.I have a cow elk tag that goes to the end of nov. but this sprain has pretty much limited me to the vicinity of the truck. haven't been able to do much but drive around and glass ,trying to do a little scouting till it heals. am hoping it will be ok for me to walk on, by the last week or so of season.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
how's the ankle healing up?
I took a fall on my antelope hunt , first weekend in nov , and sprained my ankle pretty good myself.I have a cow elk tag that goes to the end of nov. but this sprain has pretty much limited me to the vicinity of the truck. haven't been able to do much but drive around and glass ,trying to do a little scouting till it heals. am hoping it will be ok for me to walk on, by the last week or so of season.

It varies. I'm fine around the house but throw in much up and down and it starts to get a little sore. It did pretty good while packing meat up out of the coulee last week, so I'll probably elk hunt next weekend.

kiddogy

WKR
that's about where I am at .long as I can keep from folding it over again not to much pain. figured I'D better give it one more week before anything to stressful

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Ahhhh ..... , u guys aren’t done yet , wat kind of late season opportunities do u take advantage of ?

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Ahhhh ..... , u guys aren’t done yet , wat kind of late season opportunities do u take advantage of ?

I'm taking my wife out this afternoon to look for a deer (mostly glassing from truck), I'll hunt elk at least a couple times over the next two weekends, I'll hunt pheasants until January 1st, and I have a cow tag that runs until Feb 15 about an hour away. I'm not done by a long shot. I've not killed a bull in a while so that is my priority. However, I've found rifle season to be tough just to locate a bull.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Yea big game I’m pretty much done , unless I want to kill a hog , I’ll start huntin Ducks thanksgiving

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I ran numbers on the buck while the cape was froze to it last week and came up with a rough gross of 159 4/8. I got the skull boiled out this evening and had a chance to mark tine starting points while sitting at my table. The score didn't change by much, but ended up grossing 159 2/8 with a net of 157 4/8. (Edited after recognizing I'd put in a high (wrong) number.)

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I ran numbers on the buck while the cape was froze to it last week and came up with a rough gross of 159 4/8. I got the skull boiled out this evening and had a chance to mark tine starting points while sitting at my table. The score didn't change by much, but ended up grossing 159 2/8 with a net of 157 4/8. (Edited after recognizing I'd put in a high (wrong) number.)
good job man.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice job on the hole hunt .It was nice to follow along even after the fact.Nice buck like the improvment year after year.