2019 Saskatchewan Whitetail

Saskabush

FNG
2019 season is pretty much all wrapped up for me now. Since I always appreciate reading a good hunting tale, might as well share mine.

Weather for the start of the Saskatchewan rifle deer season was garbage, we had beautiful -15C right up until the day I got home from my 2 week work shift and then it warmed up to +10C. The quick melt turned the southern grid roads and pasture trails into snot not unlike the infamous Montana gumbo mud. I still managed to get out and the deer were definitely rutting by the time the season opened on the 15th. I was seeing tons of deer the first few days, just nothing worth going after. I was hunting the same big southern community pastures where I shot an old worn down brute of a buck last year. With the soft roads, I had to stick fairly close to the main trails but was still able to walk back into some of the secluded brushy basins that the deer like to shelter in.

By the 19th, the weather had dropped back below freezing, opening up some of the more remote sections of the pastures. That morning I made it back to a glassing point overlooking two big secluded basins and spotted a bunch of deer and two bull elk right away. I could see what looked to be a pretty good whitetail with a doe but it was hard to tell how big. Most of the animals were close to 2 miles away, so I decided to go back to the truck to relocate further south and try to get in to within a mile or so of them via the next trail into the pasture.

To get to the next main access road, I had to make a big loop back north, east, south, then finally west again into the pasture. On my way south, I caught a deer shape out of the corner of my eye standing along a fence line through a small slough ½ mile across a field. I did the old "Sasky slow roll' over the next hill before applying brakes to avoid spooking the deer. From the next approach I was able to tell that it looked to be a nice 5x4. He had a good frame, heavy’ish, and was a mature looking deer. There was a farmyard on the opposite side of the road with signs of life, so I popped in an chatted with the couple that was out choring. They confirmed that I had the right landowner on the map and gave me his cell #. After a quick call and a “go ahead” from the owner, I was in the game.

It was a pretty simple approach, just had to follow a fence line east, then cut diagonally NE across the canola stubble and I’d be somewhere on the west edge of the small 20 acre slough, within rifle reach of where the buck disappeared. I had a fairly solid belief that the buck was in the small patch of trees near the centre of the mushroom shaped slough. This belief would turn out to almost cost me the entire gig, more on that later.

I made quick progress. Cutting across the canola stubble was the trickiest part, that stuff is loud. within an hour I was within 100yds of the west edge of the slough. As I approached, I was increasingly aware that there was way more deer in the slough than I originally thought. At first, it appeared it was just the buck and the 3-4 does I’d seen him tailing from the road. The closer I got, then more ears I picked out of the cattails and weeds. A couple of times I thought I was hooped when I looked up and saw does standing and staring in my direction. As completely exposed as I was, those moments seem to always ends in snorting, stomping and white flags disappearing over the horizon. For whatever reason, the does ended up buying the “big orange rock” impersonation I was selling them and went about their business.

The slough

To be continued...

OP
S

Saskabush

FNG
...While the does calmed and eventually fed toward the north end of the slough to bed again, I settled in to contemplate certainties. I was certain the buck was still in this slough. Faint sounds of tending grunts could occasionally be heard from the general direction of the trees. I was also certain that I stuck out like a sore thumb sitting alone and neatly skylined in the barren 6” canola stubble field. I was certain that I was close enough to get a shot if the buck was where I thought he was. However, I was also certain that my years of deer hunting have taught me that nothing is certain. A whitetail buck has an uncanny ability to ruin plans. In this case, the back half of the slough was obscured by the trees and any deer coming out that way would be close to 500 yds by the time a shot was available. I’m not opposed to folk taking that shot, but it’s not for me. Especially not for me when I’m packing the .223rem. So, as the afternoon progressed and the cool evening winds slowly sucked the heat from my bones, I grew certain that I had to get closer to the slough. Being closer offered better concealment, was 100yds closer, and had a better line of site for when the deer stated moving again. I decided It was worth the risk now that there weren’t any does on my side of the slough anymore, I was certain of that.

I’d carried a small mountain of assorted crap in with me. In addition to my pack, I had the spotter, two tripods and two cameras. The plan was to film the entire rodeo. By the time I made the call to move, my gear was all spread out and setup. For the last 100, I decided the spotter/tripod with camera and phoneskope would make the first leg along with the rifle. I had the bipod fully extended and ready to rock in case all hell broke loose. If I got to the edge safely, I would consider going back for camera 2 and the pack. Well, all hell broke loose.

I’d made it to with 15 feet of the edge of the slough. What quickly became clear was that the bank of the slough was steeper than I initially accounted for. Add in the 18” tall slough grass and there was more than enough relief to hide two deer bedded against the edge of the bank, 30 feet from where I stood. My first indication they were there was a surprised buck grunt as the doe took flight, followed by the buck I was looking for. I’ve buggered up many of these situations in the past. I put my gear down and dropped behind the bipod. I was on the buck quickly and right about the time I had the crosshairs steady on him he made the mistake that bailed me out. Like so many rut crazed bucks before him, he decided his girlfriend was more important and wheeled right to cut her off. The doe obliged, stopped, and paused. The buck spun another ¼ turn and was now facing me head on at 50yds. I put the crosshairs 2” above the dark line of brisket hair between his front legs and squeezed. I watchied through the scope as the buck mule kicked and spun away again. I loosed another volley broadside as he ran and a third as he slowed, trying to keep his feet. Both follow ups were unnecessary, but insurance is never a bad thing. The buck wilted and rolled, while I tried to wrap my head around what just happened.

It turns out, the tending grunts I’d heard were a lot closer than I thought. The buck and his doe had been bedded there all along. It made a little more sense now why all the does that had got up and looked my way had all calmed down again. Who knows if they’d even had me pegged to begin with, or if they were just paying attention the buck tending his doe the entire time.

It’s disappointing that I lost the opportunity to get it all on film, but that’s completely secondary to how happy I am anytime I get to lay my hands on a mature Saskatchewan whitetail. It’s always bitter sweet knowing it’s over for the season and I’ll have to wait another whole year to do it again. Interesting note, this buck had a pretty ugly hernia. It almost looked like he’d been gored by another buck. There was hair inside the wound and a small amount of intestine/fat protruding from his abdominal cavity under his skin. Hard to tell if it would turn into a fatal wound but it can’t have been comfortable.

260madman

WKR
You’ll need to post this in the thread asking if 223 is enough for deer. Bullet choice?

OP
S

Saskabush

FNG
You’ll need to post this in the thread asking if 223 is enough for deer. Bullet choice?
Ha. I’ve seen that dead horse beaten to a pulp plenty enough on some of the local FB groups when they legalized .22 cal centrefires for big game here last year. Factory Hornady 75gr BTHP loads did just fine on this and last year’s whitetails.

Last edited:

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! I'm an Alberta mountain boy now but I do love to see a good prairie deer and read a good story. Do you know why the change to the minimum size for CF on big game? It just seems like such a random thing to change.

OP
S

Saskabush

FNG
Congrats! I'm an Alberta mountain boy now but I do love to see a good prairie deer and read a good story. Do you know why the change to the minimum size for CF on big game? It just seems like such a random thing to change.

Thanks!! Nice to see a few fellow Canadians here.

Seemed a little odd to me too. I’m not sure what the real reasons for the change were. I have my suspicions, but I think the generic explanation given was around modern bullet design and ballistics. There are some cartridge restrictions (empty casing can be no less than 32mm). Minimum caliber is .17 and they mention a few exceptions by name that aren’t allowed. However, it would be 100% legal to fill a moose tag with a .204rug in Sask.

Good write up and a damn nice deer. Nice to see some more home province representation on Rokslide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWAIV

FNG
...While the does calmed and eventually fed toward the north end of the slough to bed again, I settled in to contemplate certainties. I was certain the buck was still in this slough. Faint sounds of tending grunts could occasionally be heard from the general direction of the trees. I was also certain that I stuck out like a sore thumb sitting alone and neatly skylined in the barren 6” canola stubble field. I was certain that I was close enough to get a shot if the buck was where I thought he was. However, I was also certain that my years of deer hunting have taught me that nothing is certain. A whitetail buck has an uncanny ability to ruin plans. In this case, the back half of the slough was obscured by the trees and any deer coming out that way would be close to 500 yds by the time a shot was available. I’m not opposed to folk taking that shot, but it’s not for me. Especially not for me when I’m packing the .223rem. So, as the afternoon progressed and the cool evening winds slowly sucked the heat from my bones, I grew certain that I had to get closer to the slough. Being closer offered better concealment, was 100yds closer, and had a better line of site for when the deer stated moving again. I decided It was worth the risk now that there weren’t any does on my side of the slough anymore, I was certain of that.

I’d carried a small mountain of assorted crap in with me. In addition to my pack, I had the spotter, two tripods and two cameras. The plan was to film the entire rodeo. By the time I made the call to move, my gear was all spread out and setup. For the last 100, I decided the spotter/tripod with camera and phoneskope would make the first leg along with the rifle. I had the bipod fully extended and ready to rock in case all hell broke loose. If I got to the edge safely, I would consider going back for camera 2 and the pack. Well, all hell broke loose.

I’d made it to with 15 feet of the edge of the slough. What quickly became clear was that the bank of the slough was steeper than I initially accounted for. Add in the 18” tall slough grass and there was more than enough relief to hide two deer bedded against the edge of the bank, 30 feet from where I stood. My first indication they were there was a surprised buck grunt as the doe took flight, followed by the buck I was looking for. I’ve buggered up many of these situations in the past. I put my gear down and dropped behind the bipod. I was on the buck quickly and right about the time I had the crosshairs steady on him he made the mistake that bailed me out. Like so many rut crazed bucks before him, he decided his girlfriend was more important and wheeled right to cut her off. The doe obliged, stopped, and paused. The buck spun another ¼ turn and was now facing me head on at 50yds. I put the crosshairs 2” above the dark line of brisket hair between his front legs and squeezed. I watchied through the scope as the buck mule kicked and spun away again. I loosed another volley broadside as he ran and a third as he slowed, trying to keep his feet. Both follow ups were unnecessary, but insurance is never a bad thing. The buck wilted and rolled, while I tried to wrap my head around what just happened.

View attachment 136778

It turns out, the tending grunts I’d heard were a lot closer than I thought. The buck and his doe had been bedded there all along. It made a little more sense now why all the does that had got up and looked my way had all calmed down again. Who knows if they’d even had me pegged to begin with, or if they were just paying attention the buck tending his doe the entire time.

View attachment 136779

View attachment 136780

It’s disappointing that I lost the opportunity to get it all on film, but that’s completely secondary to how happy I am anytime I get to lay my hands on a mature Saskatchewan whitetail. It’s always bitter sweet knowing it’s over for the season and I’ll have to wait another whole year to do it again. Interesting note, this buck had a pretty ugly hernia. It almost looked like he’d been gored by another buck. There was hair inside the wound and a small amount of intestine/fat protruding from his abdominal cavity under his skin. Hard to tell if it would turn into a fatal wound but it can’t have been comfortable.

View attachment 136781

View attachment 136782
Nice!!