2019 sheep hunt gear list....hows it look?

Don't listen to those that say dump the water filter if your not comfortable. I know folks who have got dysteria and it is not pleasant. For sure you can get a lesser weight filter and other items. Also Immodium is invaluable if you get the runs and weighs nothing. One of my partners spent half a day sitting on a marmot hole. He would have been in real trouble with dehydration if he did not have Immodium. If you upgraded gear to lighter weight stuff you could probably shave 3-5 lbs but at what cost? Overall I think your golden at less than 60lbs excluding your worn. You are at the point now where you can start choosing "thriving vs. surviving" I get the pots and pans if you are going to be cooking Alpine air instead of mountain house.

For those of us that are minimalist we only take things that we will use on a trip. However, we will suffer a bit. Others pack a bit more for safety or comfort and that is fine as well. This is a pretty good podcast episode if you are out for a drive where Bryan Martin gives his take. There are some nuggets that I will take from his view, but I am sticking to necessary only. I cringe when I unpack my bag and find something I never used. Experience is the best tell for what to cut. Good luck on your hunt!

https://journalofmountainhunting.com/ep118-tajikistan-debrief-with-bryan-martin-part-2/

OP
NorthernAK
Thought the attached equipment list might serve as a good starting point! Seriously, best of luck on your upcoming hunt.
ADF&G has developed some good material for judging legal sheep and don't forget a current copy of the game regs is always good to have in camp.
Joe

I think Bill's 5 plugs of tobacco was a little excessive in my opinion Haha. What a brutal list!!!

OP
NorthernAK
Don't listen to those that say dump the water filter if your not comfortable. I know folks who have got dysteria and it is not pleasant. For sure you can get a lesser weight filter and other items. Also Immodium is invaluable if you get the runs and weighs nothing. One of my partners spent half a day sitting on a marmot hole. He would have been in real trouble with dehydration if he did not have Immodium. If you upgraded gear to lighter weight stuff you could probably shave 3-5 lbs but at what cost? Overall I think your golden at less than 60lbs excluding your worn. You are at the point now where you can start choosing "thriving vs. surviving" I get the pots and pans if you are going to be cooking Alpine air instead of mountain house.

For those of us that are minimalist we only take things that we will use on a trip. However, we will suffer a bit. Others pack a bit more for safety or comfort and that is fine as well. This is a pretty good podcast episode if you are out for a drive where Bryan Martin gives his take. There are some nuggets that I will take from his view, but I am sticking to necessary only. I cringe when I unpack my bag and find something I never used. Experience is the best tell for what to cut. Good luck on your hunt!

https://journalofmountainhunting.com/ep118-tajikistan-debrief-with-bryan-martin-part-2/

Thanks for the advice. The struggle and pocket book is real when it comes to going light for sure. I mainly moose hunt but have wanted to get into mountain hunting. So over the last several years when ever I've "needed" new gear I've tried to consider weight knowing I might hit the mountains soon. So I've been trying to balance weight along with function and use for my moose hunts and mountain hunt use. When I weighed out everything and did the list I was actually surprised I was under 60lbs Haha. I just stumbled upon the "Beyond the Kill" podcast about a month ago. I'll have to look up that episode and download it.

rope

FNG
Thought the attached equipment list might serve as a good starting point! Seriously, best of luck on your upcoming hunt.
ADF&G has developed some good material for judging legal sheep and don't forget a current copy of the game regs is always good to have in camp.
Joe
May I ask which book is this from? Thank you.

emohns8

FNG
Very good list, quite comprehensive. Here's what I would get rid, which mostly reiterates what has been said:

Pillow: I use my clothes, sometimes stuffed in a stuff sack, as a pillow.
Water Filter: Extra weight, not needed
Platypus soft bottle: You already have 1 bottle and a bladder, that should be plenty in the event you need to stockpile for a day or so, especially since you said water should be plentiful
Too many clothes: Is this an early or late hunt. Either way, a little excessive in the clothes department
Waterproof matches: I would add one BIC lighter and stick with the fire starter, flint and striker set up
Tape Measure: Tale of the tape can wait till back in civilization
Rifle Cover: Unneeded excessive weight. Scope cover at most
Trekking poles: Only one is needed, some prefer two, but I like having a free hand for rifle/balance
Binos: Upgrade and Downsize. Good excuse to get into some new Bino's
Pots and Pans: 2 Pots? A pan? Are you doing more than boiling water?
Dark Energy Battery: Seems a little heavy, but I completely understand having the ability to keep your phone charged
Garmin GPS: not needed just extra weight, phone can serve as GPS
Camp Shoes: Luxury item, not needed
Thermarest Z Seat: Luxury Item, not needed
Deodorant: After a few days, nothing will help
Kifaru Tarp: Luxury Item, already have a tent

If I was trying to get as light as possible, these are the things I'd start with. Definitely excessive on the clothes, and trust me, I am not judging as I am a chronic over packer myself. I've really had to force myself to limit the amount of clothes I pack, and it haven't missed one bit all those extra shirts, long johns, etc that I used to bring along.

I realize some people find important some of the things I would leave at home, everybody has their own style and what works for them, but these are things I'd eliminate.

Josh

I agree with Josh, some of the luxuries are nice to have but if you are cutting weight I would get rid of the glassing seat pad, extra pot, tape measure,
Very good list, quite comprehensive. Here's what I would get rid, which mostly reiterates what has been said:

Platypus soft bottle: You already have 1 bottle and a bladder, that should be plenty in the event you need to stockpile for a day or so, especially since you said water should be plentiful
Too many clothes: Is this an early or late hunt. Either way, a little excessive in the clothes department
Waterproof matches: I would add one BIC lighter and stick with the fire starter, flint and striker set up
Trekking poles: Only one is needed, some prefer two, but I like having a free hand for rifle/balance
Dark Energy Battery: Seems a little heavy, but I completely understand having the ability to keep your phone charged

If I was trying to get as light as possible, these are the things I'd start with. Definitely excessive on the clothes, and trust me, I am not judging as I am a chronic over packer myself. I've really had to force myself to limit the amount of clothes I pack, and it haven't missed one bit all those extra shirts, long johns, etc that I used to bring along.

I realize some people find important some of the things I would leave at home, everybody has their own style and what works for them, but these are things I'd eliminate.

Josh

I would agree with Josh, some of the luxuries seem like they’re nice to have but after carrying them for a week you might think differently. I would ditch the tape measure, glassing pad, extra pot, water filter (rather carry a 6 oz steripen), and I would work on reducing the clothing you are bringing. Awesome start on the list though!

Josh

I agree with Josh, some of the luxuries seem like a good idea going into it but after packing them for a whole hunt you might think differently, for me it was things like: water filter (switched to a 6oz steripen), don’t need extra pot, went down to the clothes I wore plus rain gear and puffy jacket and 1 set of underwear and socks and beanie, tape measure, glassing seat. Awesome start to the list so far though!

OP
NorthernAK
Emohns8, thanks for the input. I've dropped 2lbs so far by taking the advice on here. Noobies like me appreciate it haha.

Last edited:
OP
NorthernAK
No sheep. Ended up doing it solo as my partner had work stuff come up. Learned a ton, main take away was mental toughness and pack less food haha. Ended up at 58lbs pack weight with 7 days of food. Can't wait to try again. As mentioned above lighterpack.com

Last edited:
I’m also curious about what shelter you used, was it just the 12oz. Kifaru sheep tarp? If so, good on you, that’s bad ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NorthernAK
I splurged and bought a Hilleberg Anjan 3. Went with the non GT model. I pulled the sheep tarp from my pack when my partner backed out and when I decided on a little heavier tent. Not brave enough yet to only use a tarp haha.

OP
NorthernAK
I forgot about this thread. I should probably post my final gear list/pack weight. Hopefully this helps someone. This is pretty dang close to what I went with. Might be a couple items I took out or added. Solo walk in Alaska hunt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210309-184813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-184813_Gallery.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20210309-184946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-184946_Gallery.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20210309-185000_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-185000_Gallery.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 73
I splurged and bought a Hilleberg Anjan 3. Went with the non GT model. Not brave enough yet to only use a tarp haha.
Oh I don’t know about that. You packed a tent that weighs over 4 lbs. on a solo sheep hunt, and a pack that weighed over 70 lbs. You’re braver, and most definitely stronger, than me my friend.

OP
NorthernAK
Oh I don’t know about that. You packed a tent that weighs over 4 lbs. on a solo sheep hunt, and a pack that weighed over 70 lbs. You’re braver, and most definitely stronger, than me my friend.

I ended up getting her down to 58 lbs. I couldn't imagine a 70 lbs pack......58 lbs was bad enough haha