2019 Sheep "meatpole"

I want in! Last weekend of the season over here in NV. Whole family was there for the whole show!
3b67a60cdb73187fd935dc3797b22ec5.jpg
13ab832e60c80688d4f3bf2b270d4463.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
you The tag holder! Congrats nonetheless!

After a couple month speed bump I got my sheep back. I fell victim to the new Alberta sheep jig that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I was never charged, yet the animal was confiscated. It was a frustrating time. I found other hunters that ran into similar issues with the new jig.

I wrote to the minister of environment and just had my sheep returned today as a happy start to 2020. I know at least two other sheep have been returned. The government realizes there is an issue between what the jig measures and what is put forward in the regs. If you know someone else who had their sheep deemed short but not charged this year tell them to write the AEP or send me a PM for assistance. These animals are too beautiful to let waste.

Attachments

• sheep1.jpg
    sheep1.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 224

duchntr

WKR
After a couple month speed bump I got my sheep back. I fell victim to the new Alberta sheep jig that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I was never charged, yet the animal was confiscated. It was a frustrating time. I found other hunters that ran into similar issues with the new jig.

I wrote to the minister of environment and just had my sheep returned today as a happy start to 2020. I know at least two other sheep have been returned. The government realizes there is an issue between what the jig measures and what is put forward in the regs. If you know someone else who had their sheep deemed short but not charged this year tell them to write the AEP or send me a PM for assistance. These animals are too beautiful to let waste.
What kind of "Jig" are they using to determine legality?

SLA

FNG
I took some pics of the new jig system. Not my sheep but a example of one that just made legal on one side, biologist did chime in with her opinion saying, “that sheep should not have been shot” Yep gave her opinion whether any wanted to hear it or not.
Actually surprised I was able to take a couple pics.

Attachments

• FBF6C91B-64D7-4DCA-9D3D-7C84A86C9257.jpeg
    FBF6C91B-64D7-4DCA-9D3D-7C84A86C9257.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 10FCEA19-D69D-4795-A04A-25B6851B0490.jpeg
    10FCEA19-D69D-4795-A04A-25B6851B0490.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 265
I took some pics of the new jig system. Not my sheep but a example of one that just made legal on one side, biologist did chime in with her opinion saying, “that sheep should not have been shot” Yep gave her opinion whether any wanted to hear it or not.
Actually surprised I was able to take a couple pics.
I'm confused about "just made legal on one side", as the ram is broomed on the side (right), that you're showing. Was he just FC on the left?

ljalberta

WKR
Oh man. Happy to hear you got your sheep back. What a gong show it’s been in Alberta this year. I didn’t shoot any sheep this year, but I wrote an email to the minister a few months back. Utterly incomprehensible how they could be confiscating sheep that were, by definition, legal sheep. I hope someone was held responsible for the fiasco.

In Alberta, a ram is only legal if it is 4/5 curl or full curl depending on the unit. Unfortunately we can’t harvest a ram based on brooming or age. It's sad seeing an old bruiser of a ram that you can’t shoot even though it’s near the end of its life, but you can shoot a 5 or 6 year old ram because it’s lamb tips make him legal.

Alberta is pretty messed up when it comes to sheep management outside of not allowing broom/age based harvest in many more ways. For instance, they record the sheep’s age based on the present annuli rings. Meaning often they don’t count what has been broomed off, leading to many old rams going into their database of information as 2/3+ years younger than they are. Then they try and make management decisions and changes based on fudged data.

Last edited:

SLA

FNG
4/5 unit. Sad to see some big old bruisers that will never be legal because they are broomed on both sides. I plan to stop at the Alberta game and fish booth at the sheep show and discuss what they learned this year with the new system. When I had mine checked and plugged they had 2 deemed illegal on a shelf.

wytx

WKR
Interesting, length is length here in Wyoming, broomed or not makes little difference in how they are measured.
My sheep was only 6 years old but broomed pretty well, found a dead older sheep that had lamb tips and was much shorter but older.
Was this jig introduced during the season ?

The jig was first implemented this season. They added a portion to the regs stating how the skull has to be prepared for measuring.

The problem is that they used the exact same picture and wording for how to determine a legal ram using the 'anterior edge of the eye' but measure from a bone spur in the eyesocket with the jig. This moved the goal post forward without telling the hunters. They mandate that you leave the eye in but give no mention of the eye not being used with the new jig.

as.ks.ak

WKR
The jig was first implemented this season. They added a portion to the regs stating how the skull has to be prepared for measuring.

The problem is that they used the exact same picture and wording for how to determine a legal ram using the 'anterior edge of the eye' but measure from a bone spur in the eyesocket with the jig. This moved the goal post forward without telling the hunters. They mandate that you leave the eye in but give no mention of the eye not being used with the new jig.

Man what a nightmare. And what a shame on those old gnarly rams having to be left to die from the elements in the mountain what a conservation FAIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk