2019 Sitka? Anyone have the inside scoop?

Anyone know whats coming this year? I need to pickup a few things, but hate to pick it up now and something shiny and new come out!

I saw on the Eastman's Story on Instagram a quick interview with John Barklow. He went over some of the new pieces. I remember a smaller pack than the mountain hauler, an updated more breathable core series, and an insulated short sleeve jacket. He said there are other things, but didn't comment on what they are.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Improved Fanatic System on the Whitetail side. The short sleeve jacket above is the Kelvin Active Hoody; different insulation than the jacket. Lots of new waterfowl stuff including women’s.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For the life of me I don't understand a sleeveless hoody active jacket. I was hoping they would just add a hood to the active jacket as is. No way I'm buying a sleeveless hoody to pack into the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B
For the life of me I don't understand a sleeveless hoody active jacket. I was hoping they would just add a hood to the active jacket as is. No way I'm buying a sleeveless hoody to pack into the mountains.

A hooded active jacket would be great...I agree about the sleeveless, I guess it’s a hooded vest, but for my system it wouldn’t make sense.

I think I heard a podcast they talked about changing some of the rain gear a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Barney did a podcast with Barklow. Sounds like he intended the kelvin active hoody to be a piece to wear over the Apex hoody==hoody over hoody? It sounds like he designed it for use with the Apex so that the elbow pad area and forearm of the apex would remain exposed. Doesn't sound like a winner to me. [edit] Oh and it also has a kangaroo pocket, which I don't care for.

anie

FNG
talked with the sitka reps at sci in reno last week, they are changing the fanatic jacket so it works better for bow hunts, i tryed one on and like it. other than the fanatic jacket i did see much new, maybe i missed something. looked at and bought a kuiu super down pro jacket, looked at lots of kryptek stuff, kinda mind boggling with the amount of products out there designed for hunting.

Stephcha

FNG
Saw some pics of a drifter black daypack. Most likely part of the casual wear line.

Based on the sales prolly redoing all of the duffel bags. I disliked the zippers thus staying with TNF expedition duffels and pataguicci black hole duffels

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

It was designed as part of the Apex series and to integrate with the Apex Hoody. The Apex Hoody has elbow pads and the intent was design an insulation piece to work with that hoody. It actually has "half sleeves" vs sleeveless.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It was designed as part of the Apex series and to integrate with the Apex Hoody. The Apex Hoody has elbow pads and the intent was design an insulation piece to work with that hoody. It actually has "half sleeves" vs sleeveless.
I'm sure someone will buy it, but it won't be me, and I don't use the elbow pads in my Apex hoody either. Running a hoody over a hoody is not my idea of an efficient system. Adding a hood to the already nice active jacket would have been an easy sell to those of us who already have that jacket and just wished it had a hood. I chalk this up to another bad decision coming out of Sitka which seems to be the norm these days. Same as raising the mountain pants price higher than the Timberlines.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The insulation piece I use with my Apex hoody is my Kelvin lite vest. They can keep that shacket idea.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure someone will buy it, but it won't be me, and I don't use the elbow pads in my Apex hoody either. Running a hoody over a hoody is not my idea of an efficient system. Adding a hood to the already nice active jacket would have been an easy sell to those of us who already have that jacket and just wished it had a hood. I chalk this up to another bad decision coming out of Sitka which seems to be the norm these days. Same as raising the mountain pants price higher than the Timberlines.

Understood, just trying to explain the design intent. : )

I gotta say I am a bit disappointed that the Hoody isn't going to have sleeves, but listening to his explanation I get what he is saying even though I do not agree. I really like a vest and dig kangaroo pockets, so ill have to look at this thing in person before saying anything. Id have liked to seen a kelvin active vest as well.

The good takeaway is the new hoody is going to have Polartec Alpha Direct which is badass, and i hope they carry that through to other items.