2019 Turkey

Tanner.L5

FNG
Had an awesome bird hunt when I was 12 with my dad down in the river bottom in northern LA. Got to watch dad call this bright blue head Tom in from about 100 yards away through the woods and come into about 7 yards away at the decoy. The problem was he didn’t pump the shell into my new Remington 870 .20 which caused a firing issue where the trigger wouldn’t hit the firing pin. In the end got to watch this Tom casually walk off, but one of the coolest hunts I’ve ever been on and one that’s stuck with me through the years! Congrats on the bird though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deerhunt1988:
I’m loving the look on that turkey gun you got there. Mind giving us the details/specs?
Sure thing.

Its a Remington 870 Super Mag Maxx Gobbler edition. I got it in ~2008 and they quit making them shortly after. It came with a camo hydro dip that slowly wore away over the years. I ended up getting a cerakote job and went with the Patriot Brown/OD Green scheme. Black Dove Customs out of Kentucky did the cerakoting. Very pleased with the job and highly recommend them. For optics I have a Vortex Venom 3 MOA. I did shoot a Burris Fastfire 3 but had two of them go bad costing me a couple birds. Once Burris replaced the second one, I sold it and bought a Venom. This if my third season with the Venom and I love it. Like it a bit better than the Fastfire and no hiccups yet.

It's been a great season in VA so far for me. Killed my first turkey on April 20 after 2 seasons chock full of close calls and mistakes. Feel like I'm starting to figure some things out. Followed it up this morning with a second Longbeard.
7765a9e19cb7cb30c394a7d4c06ca484.jpg
23f3d783fdcaac41909c72b99cf14112.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I worked 23 hours then spotted and got this one on the way home. This is my very first solo bird. From the time I saw him till he was down was 26 minutes. Talk about fast paced. 20lb, 10" beard and 1" spurs. I should have taken better pics but it was warm and I had a long drive to the taxidermist. Wanted a rug for my first bird.20190504_114143.jpg20190504_114257.jpg

Cobie33

FNG
That is one huge bird!

I took one in southern Iowa that went just over 28lb on a scale. I have seen hundreds of turkeys hit the ground and only one made the magical 30lb mark, going 30lb 4 oz. A kid who I was guiding shot it. It was obvious when it came in that it was larger than any I have seen.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Texas turkey hunting can be multi-species! 90 degree temps on the last day and had one more tag - just about stepped on this little rattler going to pick up the bird. Grass was about hip high...I could hear him but couldn't see him. Pretty exciting for a few seconds!100539