2019 Utah Moose

For the evening hunt, we started out by hiking down into a little drainage. There was a lot of sign, but we didn’t see any moose there, just a couple of deer.

View attachment 146866

After checking out the drainage, we went to another glassing spot. We looked around there for a while but didn’t see anything (the trees were still covered with leaves, so animals had to be out in the open for us to see them). We just packed up and were about to hike a little ways and glass again when the guide saw something black go running across the opening in the bottoms where we had been glassing. A quick look through the binos and we knew it was a moose. We got the spotting scope out again, and another moose came across the opening..another cow. Knowing the rut should be starting, we waited. Sure enough, a couple minutes later out came the bull. There ended up being 3 cows and the bull (that we saw). This is a bull that other guides had seen a couple times in the same area we saw him, so it was good to get to look him over. He was a bigger bull overall than the first one, but he lacked that moose-look with his poor palms and long tines. It was easier to pass on this one.

Here’s a view of our evening glassing spot:

View attachment 146867

Here is a screen shot of the second bull from video taken by the guide:

View attachment 146868

We spent the rest of the evening glassing at this location but didn’t see anything else.

I was super pumped after the first day of hunting and seeing 2 bulls that I could be happy with if I ended up taking them later in the hunt.

great trip

AKDoc

WKR
Congratulations on a hunt of a life-time with your father...absolutely well done sir!

Hunting with beloved family members is about as good as it gets...cherished memories for the rest of one's life for sure..

OFFHNTN

WKR
FANTASTIC moose and pics! The best part is sharing it with your Dad, those memories will last a lifetime! Congratulations all the way around! Thanks for sharing!

AKLiving

FNG
Great write-up. I love the stories which are the best part of hunting. Thank you for taking such care in harvesting as much as possible of the moose.