2019 whitetail

Randall

FNG
Walking out to the vehicle in the dark I heard something behind me in the grass a couple times. I go to the truck and grabbed the giant Maglite I used to have by me seat. Shining it behind me showed 8 coyotes scattered between 75 and 150 yards. I never bow hunted without a handgun along after that. They were likely more curious than aggressive but I still feel better being armed.

Thats a nice buck. It's a shame it turned out that way, I absolutely hate losing animals. At least the rack is a bit of a consolation.

Years back me and my brother cooked the most delicious marinated chicken the woods had ever smelled. We kept hearing noises just outside the firelight, first one down hill, then uphill, then to the sides. We didnt have to see the coyotes to know they were circling and verrrry interested in our supper. We stoked the fire high and made a stone cupboard with a heavy lid for our food (there was a reason we didnt use a bear bag, but i cant for the life of me remember why). This stone box was right next to the fire too so we assumed there wouldnt be any coyotes with that much spunk.

They circled for well over an hour before we called it a night. We climbed in our shelter, which was close to the fire, but not facing it. Not thirty seconds after, we saw the shadows of the dogs as they came between us and the fire, slipping into camp. One trots within five feet of us. Amazed at their courage, we listen as they climb on top of the stone box and scratch and claw and dig trying to get in. They must have tried for an hour before they finally gave up. I wasnt overly worried, but I sure didnt sleep until they left!

Never had a problem with coyotes before or after that but I agree about feeling better armed.