2019 Wyoming Elk Hunt

cnelk

WKR
Once again, anytime WapitiBob posts something about Draw Odds, Game & Fish info, pay attention or write it down.

Best stuff out there - and its FREE

jmcd22

WKR
Just saw this exact thread about mule deer in Idaho and read through the "And Here it comes..." thread and I think we need to approach this in a different way than some have approached it here. I agree 100% that things shouldn't just be posted out there for the entire world to see but maybe we should all take the time to actually try and help people who post these kinds of questions by pointing them in the direction of doing the research themselves. I don't think snarky responses or the like helps anyone. It doesn't help someone who may be new to hunting and may not know any better and it doesn't help the Rokslide community. Pointing them in the direction of doing their own research at least gives them something to go off of rather than joining another forum only to post the same questions.

4rcgoat

WKR
Area 38 is some great country but gets VERY crowded. Area 37 is tough to hunt but a lot of the elk in 38 come through 37 to get down to private. That's about all I can give you,pick a place and give it a shot,what do you have to lose? Just remember if your lucky enough to be in the mountains.......your lucky enough.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
Some hours on the Wyoming DNR will give you all the odds you need. just remember to ad for point creep. if it took 2 last year is will take 3 this year . I have 9 points for a unit that took 2 when i started

Beendare

WKR
I've bowhunted WY and can give you some intel.

Summer intel will give you a lay of the land...but it won't tell you where the hunter pressure is- THE most important factor, IMO.

I think the best strategy is to lace up those boots and cover ground in your intended area. A dart board works for the selection process. Seriously. In most cases, your % success is directly related to the amount of ground you cover.

Last edited:
OP
Novemberfest
Beendare. Thanks for the info. I'm sure those areas outside the wilderness areas get hit pretty hard down there in Medicine Bow. I looked up the stats for unit 21 down in Medicine Bow and saw it had nearly 3000 licensed hunters but the non resident success rate was nearly 52%. That tells me there is a lot of elk but also a lot of pressure. You think most of those non resident success stories come with a guide in the wilderness area?
Also appreciate your advice on throwing darts and putting boots on the ground. Reinforces some thoughts I already had and motivate me to get my ass in shape.

I think the best strategy is to lace up those boots and cover ground in your intended area. A dart board works for the selection process. Seriously. In most cases, your % success is directly related to the amount of ground you cover.

Beendare

WKR
Something tells me you read those stats wrong....seems high....maybe not...but the guys we talked to weren't anywhere close to that....though we hit that stat on the money in our group packed in on wilderness.

All i know is there are 2 tracks in that MB that get more traffic than the highway! Crazy.

Personally, i've seen less hunters just across the border above Steamboat on Co OTC than in that Wyo MB...A LOT LESS....wall to wall hunters in there so we left and didn't go back. Summer scouting doesn't tell you what the hunter pressure is....THE most critical factor IMO.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I know that some of unit 37 is wilderness area and non residents cannot hunt it without a guide and with special license you will need at least 3 pp. I just sent in my application from 37 archery (with a guide in the wilderness area.

Rawmeat

FNG
I think what’s being said is that with point creep it’s unlikely to draw general tags with 2.5 points this year. It could happen but it’s looking more like 3+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see how 2.5 won't be enough points to draw. There are roughly 1700 general tags for NR top point holders, 46% of 2 pointers didn't draw last year, or about 600. So they will have 3 points. Doesn't that leave a whole lot of tags for 2.5 point holders? Unless a bunch of 3 point holders apply that didn't last year.
What am I missing?

Rawmeat

FNG
Or people that now have 3 PPs don’t apply for General. They could go in with a group, go Special or hope for a Random tag.

Just no way to predict
Well, in all of those situations that would leave more general tags for someone with 2.5 points... no way to predict exactly, but it sure looks to me that 2.5 points should be enough. But I don't claim to be an expert on draw odds.

efnm

WKR
The best way to check is to see 2 or three years of draw odds. Then can you can see the trend in point creep and apply it to last year's cutoff .

cnelk

WKR
The best way to check is to see 2 or three years of draw odds. Then can you can see the trend in point creep and apply it to last year's cutoff .

Not anymore.

For instance, last year some Type 6 tags draw odds reduced by 60%.

Again, no way to predict - only guess

Come on Feb 22...

efnm

WKR
Good point, I am thinking my approach works for the general tags, not the smaller hunts that can be easily affected by changes in applicants.