2020 Alaska DIY Moose Drop Hunt Planning to Execution Part 2

attk64

FNG
Recap:

Hello Readers – In March of 2019 I posted about my experience in selecting an air taxi service, unit, what equipment I planned on taking and some thoughts about getting the meat back to the lower 48. I have anxiously continued planning and utilized some valuable input from other members on the forum, for that I am thankful. Much has changed in the world since last year and unfortunately those changes have impacted our hunt as I’m sure many of you are in the same boat. Hopefully the impact will be negligible in the long run but is has definitely caused a few more headaches and several more phone calls. As with the last post the intent still remains the same, I hope my growing pains and research can save you time and headaches in your future plans.

This plan has been four years in the making. I have dedicated countless hours meticulously planning all aspects of the hunt within my control. My hunting partner and myself chose to hunt Alaska Game Management Unit 19 B with the air transporter Aniak Air Guides, owned and operated by Rob Kinkaid. I had previously discussed the many things that weighed in on that selection such as cost, style of hunt, and referrals. Now to get into the meat and potatoes of what has transpired.

Like most of you I’m sure the blessed COVID-19 hysteria hit me below the belt. It not only effected personal events in my life but it also severely impacted our hunt. As some of you know and have commented on in previous posts RavnAir went tits up and blamed it on COVID-19. Those of you that have done your research probably learned that RavnAir wasn’t in a good spot financially before COVID – 19 and I guess the unexpected drop in business was the straw that broke the back.

As we were planning on hunting out of Aniak it posed a severe problem that the only major aircraft company servicing the small village was RavnAir. When I learned about the bankruptcy, well to be frank, I panicked a little. After several conversations with the air transporter, we were directed to contact Sound Aviation to take an alternative path and fly into the small village of Sleetmute, AK. The flight not only is more costly than the original flight into Aniak but it also comes at a severe weight restriction. After speaking with a representative from Sound Air we learned that the aircraft used to service Sleetmute form Anchorage was restricted to a total useful load of 1,000lbs. This weight, for those unfamiliar with aviation, meant that the passengers and gear couldn’t exceed 1,000lb for safe flight planning and weight and balance of the aircraft. Now this wouldn’t be a problem if it were only my partner and I were on the plane however since they are the only show in town there is a long list of clients needing there service and we will be flying out with two other hunters.

My hunting partner and I now found ourselves in a position where we were flying out with two other hunters to Sleetmute on September 3, 2020. All persons are supposed to be restricted to no more than fifty pounds of equipment to include your weapon. For those of you that don’t recall I’ll remind you that we choose an outfitted drop hunt which meant some gear was to be provided by the outfitter and we were responsible for food, weapon, clothing and other essential items. We additionally choose to maximize the possibility of harvesting two moose so we are hunting from opening day, September 5, to closing day, September 20. We were preparing to be in the field for 18 days. With that said, fifty pounds was obviously a problem, especially when your rifle, case and ammunition weigh 15lbs, not including a sidearm.

As an alternative solution we were required to ship all equipment that would put us over fifty pounds to Aniak for Rob to pick up in advance and fly out to his remote camp. I learned that USPS flat rate boxes are good for one rate anywhere in the United States to include Alaska and Hawaii. This was by far the cheapest alternative. I ended up shipping six boxes probably totaling 50lbs in equipment and food at the cost of approximately $230, this included about $70 for increased insurance on the packages.

Another problem created by the loss of RavnAir is that RavnAir had well priced cargo flights from Aniak to Anchorage and also owned and operated the only large freezer in Aniak that was going to be used to process and freeze a moose before having it shipped back to Anchorage. This by far was and still is my biggest concern. Like most of you I hunt for various reasons. Some of those include getting away from society out of cell service, the exercise, the thrill and challenge, and also for the recovery of game meat. I’m not going to criticize those that go to Alaska and hunt for moose to only take home the antlers and donate the meat. It is your personal choice, however, that is not my style. Taking home an awesome trophy to memorialize our experience is definitely a part of the adventure, but equally so, I look forward to rewarding myself time and time again as I go into the freezer and pull out the fruits of our labor. If you’ve never had moose meat you are missing out!

I can only post 1,000 words per post so see below

OP
A

attk64

FNG
As of now, only forty days from departing, I am still not sure of how this is going to go down which brings me a huge amount of stress. Not only has this aspect unexpectedly gotten more complex, but it has gotten significantly more expensive. If anyone has any experience with air cargo services from the area of Sleetmute, please chime in as we are still very open to experiences and suggestions. I have contacted the following:

Sound Aviation out of Sleetmute ($1.50 per pound but limited space if they have other passengers or gear, 907-222-5474, Merrill Field Airport, 2400 E 5th Ave #8, Anchorage)
Lake and Penn out of Sleetmute ($1.00 per pound only fly Tuesday and Thursdays and also limited space and weight, they can do a private Cessna 206 at $2100, 907-345-2228, 1740 E. 5th Ave, Anchorage)
Northern Air Cargo (Aniak to Anchorage departs 8:30 AM, Tuesdays and Fridays $0.82 per pound for 500lbs or greater, space limited or pay 1.6x the cost for priority shipment, 907-243-3331, Anchorage Hub Cargo Facility 3900 Old International Airport Road Anchorage)
Everts out of Aniak (Wednesday and Saturdays departs 10:00AM, $.79 per pound, meet must be picked up within 24 hours landing in Anchorage. To the extent possible, seafood and meat shipments should be placed in coolers or wet lock boxes. “Chill” and “Freeze” must be clearly labeled on the freight and notated on the air waybill. Freezer space is available in Anchorage but not guaranteed 1.6x the normal rate for priority, 907-243-0009, 6111 Lockheed Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99502)
Ryan Air – Looks like they only fly Sleetmute to Aniak then Aniak to Bethel rates look really high ($.94 per pound) and you still need to get the meat to Anchorage (last resort airline) They do offer private charter flights which I am still waiting to hear back on the pricing (6400 Carl Brady Dr. Anchorage, AK 907-562-2227, Aniak Office – 907-675-4295) They fly Aniak to Sleetmute on M, W, F)
Ace (Alaska Central Express) Aviation – Aniak to Anchorage departs 6:10 PM, M, T, W, TH, F, Sat., rates seem very reasonable for 500lbs priority the cost is $306 for non-priority $202, 1-888-722-0232, 907-334-5100, 5901 Lockheed Ave, Anchorage, AK – This looks to be a really good option Cargo # 907-334-5129).

I have additionally been in contact with Nick from Alaska Trophy Expediters. Considering the cost we have invested into the trip we figured it would probably be well worth the extra money to have a contact in Anchorage that would be reliable and willing to pick up your meet, de bone it if necessary, package it in boxes ready to ship home or even take it to a meat processor so hopefully when you get out of the field it could be all wrapped and packaged ready to head back.

907-223-2666. Nick’s services vary in price but for drop off and pickup from airport its $100 each way. He has a contact for European mounts (beetle cleaning) for $600 and he is a Alaska Air Cargo known shipper so he can ship the meat via them at the discounted rate and save you the hassle of going through that program.

As promised previously I am going to break down all the gear and weights that I ended up at. Don’t judge me as I may have gone overboard once I had to ship gear. I figured I might as well ship extra comfort items to make the 18 days a little easier.

Aniak Air Guides provides the following items which can be located on his website, Aniakairguides.com; (I’m not getting any discounts for promoting Rob, this is merely for your own education and to assist you in future considerations with whomever you choose to hunt with)
  • all bush flying/transport, including meat & horns
  • flight of hunt area
  • weatherproof maps
  • bear spray
  • dry bags
  • tents
  • 2 tarps
  • camp chairs
  • 5 gallon collapsible water jugs
  • 1½ gallon pitcher
  • 1 wash tub
  • 4 coffee cups
  • salt for capes
  • pepper to keep flies off meat
  • camp stove (fuel or propane)
  • 1 sleeping pad per person
  • 1 marine band radio (to check in each time you see an Aniak Air Guides Plane)
Kitchen Gear (large tote doubles as wash bin) can opener, plates, bowls, cups, silverware, coffee percolator, non-stick pot&pan, spatulas, soap & scrubber, kool-aid jug.

As previously mentioned in my last post I have accumulated, over the years, equipment used in 90 degree September hunts to 0 degree October hunts in Idaho. I have been primarily purchasing Kryptek products due to their 25% military discount and the fact that the owners are both veterans, coincidentally they flew the Apache attack helicopter as well, and they are local in Boise. I apologize for not having exact weights of all my gear, when I was forced to ship things I just started stuffing everything I could in boxes and sending it. I did however take detailed packing lists and photographs of every box I shipped and its contents for insurance and planning purposes.

Continued Below

OP
A

attk64

FNG
I shipped the following equipment (once again don’t judge J) –
Food – 18 cliff and kind bars, 20 cheap instant oatmeal packages, one package of Kodiak protein pancake mix, syrup, 1 16 oz jar of jelly/peanut butter, 19 candy bars (yes 19), 29 Starbucks instant coffee, 22 pre/post workout (Mtn Ops), 5 dehydrated Idaho potato mixes, 2 4 oz containers of powdered citric acid for meat preservation, mustard, Mountain House meals, 19 self-made packages of trail mix, dehydrated mangoes and strawberries, 3 Italian dry salami, 1 summer sausage and five 4 oz packages of precooked bacon. One jar of sriracha powder and 1 small Montreal steak seasoning. To say the least I’m at no risk of starving!

Clothing – (shipped)
4 Merino wool underwear, 2 merino long sleeve shirts, 1 pant, 1 synthetic jacket, 1 Dalibor jacket, 5 pairs merino socks, 1 merino long johns, 1 merino beanie, 1 pair cold weather gloves. 1 pack of wet wipes, one wash cloth and one Klymit camp pillow.

Gear- (shipped)
Seek Outside 6 person tipi, tundra stakes, stovepipe and footprint (I’m taking half the stove with me and the carbon center pole as they wouldn’t fit in the flat rate boxes). 1 Fixed blade knife and small sharpener and 1 razor knife with extra blades. Gerber bone saw (I replaced the overaggressive bone blade with metal blades from Lowes) and one Kobalt foldable/lockable wood saw (also comes with a metal blade suitable for bone, I tested on a T-Bone). Slumberjack XL Satellite Tarp (for keeping us dry while glassing), gun oil, 100ft 550 chord, duct tape, first aid kit, 2 4oz 100% deet repellant, wind detector, Sawyer 1 gallon gravity filter, 2 lighters, 1 1” roll of gorilla tape, seam sealer, 4 large trash bags, fire starter. I also shipped a Slik Pro CF -635 tripod with Summit Carbon pan head but will be carrying the spotting scope with me. I shipped 6 28x60 Tag bags and 2 BlackOvis XL kill kits.

Hygiene – (shipped)
Unscented deodorant, 1 3oz bottle of unscented laundry detergent, 6 oz of unscented body wash, toothbrush, small toothpaste.

I approximate the gear shipped to be around 50lbs. We originally were restricted to 80lbs of gear with Aniak Air Guides but that weight did not include your rifle, clothes on your person and other reasonable gear you could be wearing.

Gear that is coming with me and had to be under 50lbs.
Exo 4800 pack with water bladder – 6lbs
0 Degree Big Agnes bag with Therm-a-Rest Neoair Xtherm insulated pad – 3lbs 13 oz
Rangfinder – 1 lb
20x60x85 spotting scope – 4lbs 14 oz (shipped tripod)
Carbon center pole for tipi and remaining stove that wasn’t shipped – 3lbs 6 oz
12 Mtn House meals – 4 lbs
15x56 Bino – 3lbs 13 oz
300 Winchester Magnum Rifle with 30 rounds of ammunition and soft case – 15lbs
Small hygiene kit – 1 lb
Sawyer in line filter and Nalgene bottle – 1lb
Mosquito Repellant and bug net – 5oz

That alone is approximately 45lbs, I will only be taking one set of clothing on my person to include rain gear.

Now that I have packed my whole hunting closet one of the last things I needed to do was work on antler size estimation. As you may have gathered from this post and my last is that I plan for every possible thing that I can. I don’t have the fortune of having a mil dot scope for size estimation with mills so I did the only other thing I could think of, I created a life sized moose antler replica of a 50, 55, and 65 inch moose. I then went to the desert and used the ballistic reticle (Christmas tree) on my Leica scope to map out the antler size at specific ranges. This proved more difficult than I first thought as I didn’t’ think moving 25 yards would make a large difference on the size estimation of the antlers but it did. I have a 4x20 Leica scope. I gathered sizes at 100, 200, 225,250 275,300,325,350,375,400 and 500 yards. At each range I found the appropriate line on the scope that would line up with either 50, 55, or 65 inches. I used worked through my scopes magnification at market whole numbers, 4,5,8,12,16 and 20 until I found a magnification and line that would exactly line up with one of the above sizes. After five hours in 100 degree heat I finally had several pages of data to work through. I then tested the data on unknown objects from various ranges and was able to guess the size to within 1”, not bad for throwing it together.

I based my mockup of the moose head and antlers with data found on the internet. I made the moose head approximately 10” wide. I then made the antlers on each side with the brown tines 10”. This caused the inside measurement of the moose to be 30”. This is a target when estimating size of a legal moose. The palms only need to be 10” wide at this point and you are at 50”.

I hope this information is helpful,
Travis

PredatorX

WKR
In for the ride!

Are you then hiking right out of Sleetmute? Or getting picked up and dropped off again in the bush?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
A

attk64

FNG
Rob Kinkaid with Aniak Air Guides will be picking us up in Sleetmute to fly in the super cub to our drop site

OP
A

attk64

FNG
Will you share a total cost? Or total expected cost. If you’re detailing everything else.
Sure thing, the hunt with Aniak Air Guides is just under 7k with a military discount. That’s per person obviously. My flight from Boise to Anchorage was $500 round trip.
The flight with sound aviation was $560 round trip, Anchorage to Sleetmute, I guesstimate the meat flight out is going to cost around $750 with horns per moose. Its going to cost another $500 - $2000 to get the meat and horns home depending on if we get taxidermy and meat processing done in Anchorage.
I paid over $200 to do food and gear to Aniak.
$1000 for license and moose tag and another $400 if we want to pick up bear tags.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure! In for the ride and my 2021 plans for moose are on pause because of Covid and hard to land a good transport.

I’ll throw a wrench in your gears. I hunted out of Crooked Creek a few years back. Moose hunting was terrible and after my hunt they closed the area to non residents. I flew through Sleetemute with the mail carrier and he told me it was about the same. How did you decide on that area!

OP
A

attk64

FNG
We are about 80 air miles south west of Sleetmute. I researched F&G harvest statistics and antler size averages spoke with biologist and also other outfitters in the area. Per tags sold harvest success rates were 66% with average antler size of 61”. 19b is known for producing large moose and once away from the Rivers low hunting pressure.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Sure thing, the hunt with Aniak Air Guides is just under 7k with a military discount. That’s per person obviously. My flight from Boise to Anchorage was $500 round trip.
The flight with sound aviation was $560 round trip, Anchorage to Sleetmute, I guesstimate the meat flight out is going to cost around $750 with horns per moose. Its going to cost another $500 - $2000 to get the meat and horns home depending on if we get taxidermy and meat processing done in Anchorage.
I paid over $200 to do food and gear to Aniak.
$1000 for license and moose tag and another $400 if we want to pick up bear tags.
Check Alaska Trophy Express- $950 to take meat and antlers/hide from Anchorage to lower 48

Were you an Army Aviator? That definitely explains the details in your planning madness, haha! Well done. I tip my hat to you, even if you were an Apache driver! Really excellent write up and refreshing to observe that you're taking your Alaska hunt so seriously and preparing for everything that is in your power to prepare for.

OP
A

attk64

FNG
Good luck and enjoy the adventure! In for the ride and my 2021 plans for moose are on pause because of Covid and hard to land a good transport.
Thanks, I think we done all the preparation we can now we can just hope everything holds together.
Were you an Army Aviator? That definitely explains the details in your planning madness, haha! Well done. I tip my hat to you, even if you were an Apache driver! Really excellent write up and refreshing to observe that you're taking your Alaska hunt so seriously and preparing for everything that is in your power to prepare for.
Yeah I flew around for a minute. Not sure if it was the training or just compulsive OCD! If I were to guess you prob spent a few cold nights on the ground, it it helps I thought about you when I was adding extra blankets sipping coffee 😉