2020 Alaska DIY Moose Drop Hunt Planning to Execution Part I

attk64

FNG
Hello fellow outdoor enthusiasts, I decided to provide a write up on my experience thus far through execution of the hunt coming in September 2020. The primary things I would like to discuss are: Choosing an outfitter/air taxi service, choosing a hunting game management unit, equipment and should the hunt be successful, getting the meat back to the lower 48.

Background: First I would like to make it be known that I am only provided a background on myself and hunting partner to help you determine if you fall into a similar experience category or end up being more or less experienced. Either way I hope it helps you get a good understanding of our starting point.

Budget: With hunts ranging from 5K to 20K, we both decided that we didn't want a guided hunt which reduced the overall cost but we didn't want to let 2-3K stop us from doing what we really wanted. We hoped to stay under 10K which included everything from travel and hotels to and from to the hunt and getting game back. We could discuss this to great extent but I would rather not.

I have been living in Idaho since 1992. I am currently 34 years of age and approximately 180 lbs. I exercise frequently but am by no means a gym rat. I would consider myself to be in above average shape. My hunting partner is originally from Pennsylvania, but has been living in Montana since 2016. He is, what I would consider, a freak of nature. He is in the same age range and weight as myself but in 300 movie physical shape. His physical capabilities far exceed my own, for goodness sakes who does 100 mile ultramarathons across the Rockies for fun!

I have been hunting in Idaho since I was a child. I first started hunting whitetail deer in northern Idaho with my dad. I would additionally join him on yearly archery elk hunts but due to my age, my involvement was mostly driving the dirt road shooting grouse and picking huckleberries. As I got older I began hunting more on my own and seldom with friends but I never fully got into the "hunt". I mostly hunted to provide meat for my family. From the age of 18-26, I was more or less tied up with military obligations and college. In 2009 I found myself relocating to Enterprise, AL. Alabama, believe it or not, is where my passion for solitude and the outdoors really began to take hold. My wife and I for the 1.5 years we were there frequently enjoyed deep sea fishing in the gulf of Mexico, catching blue crab, flounder gigging, scuba diving, pig trapping and hunting and finally an American Alligator hunt, in which a friend of mine and I harvested a 11'3" alligator in a 12' john boat (not the best idea). We used every free moment to take advantage of the new landscape and outdoor opportunities.

When we returned to Idaho in 2012 it was to Boise. I established new friends and new passions for the outdoors. I first started hunting waterfowl and upland game in my local areas. Shortly thereafter I started hunting a muzzleloader elk, antlerless season, that takes place every Sept. 1-15 in unit 45/52. Although this is mostly high desert country for those of you familiar with the area it is steep and rocky (lava rock) and the public land that holds unmolested herds are typically found 3-6 miles away from public roads. I really enjoyed these hunts for several years because it was a very exciting stock and spot hunt, and with the use of a muzzleloader in Idaho, no scopes, it was always very challenging to try and get writhing 100 yards. Out of the three years I participated in this hunt I harvested a cow every year. I attribute this to pure determination not necessarily skill. This hunt was a great way to start to understand animal habits and wind. Eventually I started joining my friends on archery elk hunts just to get out more and expand my knowledge base. For the last several years I have been accompanying them on their yearly adventures but have yet to make the transition to archery. I have harvested two bull elk in the backcountry with rifle and assisted on the harvest of several bull elk during archery season.

Outside of hunting my wife and I, and now +2 young boys, really enjoy camping (glamping these days), hiking and fishing.

My hunting partner has a similar background and grew up whitetail deer and beer hunting in Pennsylvania. He primarily utilized archery equipment to get the job done, but like myself, he also has served our country in the military and he continues to do so. I finished my career in a climate controlled helicopter and he continues his as a reserve Recon Marine (pretty much a stud). Now he resides in Montana and has been hunting elk, mule deer and mountain lion for the past several years.

Like many of you, the dream of an Alaskan Moose hunt, began several years ago. In 2012 we both shared our desire to venture to Alaska and hunt the great Alaskan Moose. In 2016 we both decided to pursue this dream and thus began the planning phase. As all of you know this is a very overwhelming part of the experience. I researched for hundreds of hours watching videos, reading forums, calling outfitters/taxi services and reaching out to those that had similar experiences.

OP
A

attk64

FNG
After reading and watching everything I could find I started to contact various outfitter/air taxi services. Here is a list of those I spoke with.
Larry Bartlett - Pristine Ventures
Kent Kaiser - Alaskan Quest
Rob Kincade - Aniak Air Guides
Poppa Bear Outfitter
Renfro's
40 Mile Air
and two other air taxi services, one from Anchorage and the other from Tok.

All of these companies explained what they had to offer and the general experience we could expect. I don't want to make any negative comments towards the companies I spoke with but would rather briefly mention our discussions.

Pristine Ventures- Extremely knowledgeable, he handles the planning of your hunt for a price. I would say he specializes in drop float hunts but I believe he can coordinate anything you would like.

Alaskan Quest - Similar to Pristine ventures assists with the planning and coordination. Unlike Pristine Ventures who, at the time, was a flat fee then all other costs were handled individually, Alaskan Quest does package deals and the price will include just about everything.

Aniak Air Guides - will discuss below

Poppa Bear and Renfro's - If trying to book direct they are very difficult to get a hold of and aren't really taking new clients for several years. In 2017 they were booked out to 2021 and beyond. The hunts were primarily drop hunts on lakes in unit 18. Extremely high success rates but there statistics include guys who shoot 30" bulls because it’s the first thing they see and there is no size restrictions in that GMU. They do have other booking companies that can obtain hunts in earlier years than you can if you go direct. I have a friend here in Boise that is using Renfro's and was able to secure a hunt several years ahead of what was offered to me going directly.

40 Mile Air - Usually have to book a caribou hunt first because they offer spots to repeat customers before new customers.

Anchorage and Tok - Didn't really access the terrain we wanted to hunt and frankly the guy in Tok was kind of a..., well I said I wouldn't say anything negative so I will just stop there.

Most of the above hunts would have been under the 10K mark except Papa Bear and Renfro's there hunts were around 9K without your travel, hotel, tags licenses.. etc.

I'm sure there were more companies that I spoke with but these are the major ones that I can recall.

The first thing you must determine is what you actually want out of this experience. Do you want to chance lower harvest odds by chasing a giant, do you want an almost sure bet but lower trophy sized moose. Do you want to float a river or camp atop a ridge? Drop vs guided. Outfitted vs non. The choices and combinations are endless. We decided we wanted to experience AK from more than a flooded lake bed. We wanted to hunt terrain that offered relief and glassing points. A mix of tundra and forest with nearby rivers or lakes. We wanted the possibility of striking out and establishing a secondary spike camp away from the strip if necessary. We are willing to risk the possibility of not harvesting to have a higher possibility of harvesting 65" plus moose. Ultimately after factoring all of these considerations, plus others, we decided to hunt GMU 19B with Aniak Air Guides.

We will be dropped off on a ridge, by means of super cub, with an outfitted camp. Our flight into the backcountry will take off from Aniak. We will be able to take in 90lbs of gear each. This does not include your rifle and items on you physical person. Some companies restricted you to 50lbs. We choose an outfitted hunt because we felt that it would be difficult to hunt for length of time desired with weight restrictions that would occur by bringing everything necessary yourself. Some companies allow a gear flight to help with this problem but the cost difference becomes negligent when you factor in your costs on equipment and the extra flight vs the outfitted. We basically only need to bring our hunting clothes, sleeping bags, air pads, rifles/bow and food. You can review his site but basically we will arrive and gear will already be on site. He provides, tent, camp stove with fuel, camp chairs, cooking equipment, water, sleeping pads and other various things that typically weigh a lot. Our hunt will take place from September 4 -22. The season in 19B is only open from the 5-20 but we didn't want to waste a day flying in on the opener and didn't want to pass on a bull on the closing end because we had to leave so we added a buffer on both ends. He offers float hunts and ridge hunts with the potential option of relocation.

OP
A

attk64

FNG
We decided not to do a float hunt on our first hunt due to my research suggesting that this can be a very logistically challenging hunt for newcomers. Not to say that it hasn't been done multiple time before, but it just wasn't the right fit for us.

There wasn't much information to review on Aniak Air Guides. I was able to speak with one other Rokslide member who had successfully used his service the year prior which definitely helped. After personally speaking to Rob, I felt that he could help us achieve our Alaskan dream by adding his expertise but remaining flexible to accommodate or goals.

The foreseen drawbacks to our choice - Unlike basing your flights out of Anchorage, Fairbanks, Bethel, Dillingham etc...Aniak is a very small town with very limited resources. One major lack of resource is a meat processor. Rob has been building and is continuing to expand upon his backcountry "lodge", which will eventually include a meat cooler and meat processing station of some sorts. I am really hoping that this will be up and running by the time we conduct our hunt because the concern of spoilage and getting unfrozen meat back to the US is great. I am not sure, logistically speaking, how we will be able to fly two Bull Moose, unprocessed and not frozen, into Aniak, then eventually to Anchorage. I have been told that processors in Anchorage are very busy that time of year and the likelihood of getting one to process your meat in a short turnaround time is unlikely. Then we are stuck with the decision of leaving the meat with a butcher and arranging future transport to the US (really don't like this idea) or donating the vast majority of our meat to the villagers. I really don't want to do this, not because I don't want to help them, but because moose meat is fantastic and this hunt is not just about the trophy but is also about the reward of a high quality healthy meat for my family and friends. More to come on how this all pans out.

I am aware of several different methods of meat transport, Alaska Air Freight, refrigerator/freezer shipping by boat and the guy that drives your stuff to the US at the end of the season. I have many more hours of research to conduct and hopefully will get someone who has prior knowledge and success in this situation to help out with information. We considered driving a truck with flatbed trailer and generators to run chest freezers all the way to Anchorage but even from Idaho it would have been 4 hard day’s drive on both ends and that time needed wasn't realistic for our work schedules.

Why did we choose 19B? Well for one it had the outfitter that fit our wants but it also offered the terrain and Alaskan experience that we desired. 19B is due west of Anchorage. It has large mountain ranges to its east and southwest and is intertwined by rivers, lakes and small ranges that offer tundra and timber. It does not have a Caribou herd that nonresidents can pursue but does have a high concentration of black bear. Historically it does not see a large quantity of moose hunters each year and has had successful predator control programs in the past that are now resulting in large healthy moose populations. It does have good salmon numbers but we will be hunting far enough away from the major rivers that we won't really have any opportunity for supplemental fishing although we should have good ptarmigan and grouse to hunt along with blueberries to pick.

The moose harvested will be restricted to either 4 brow tines or 50" spread or the spike antler moose. Past year’s harvest statistics on AK F&G website shows fairly high success rates and a good chance of harvesting 65" plus bulls. The likelihood of us both harvesting a moose is limited, but given our determination, hunting the entire season, and skillsets we feel that we have a relatively good chance of succeeding. You are allowed to bone out meet in this GMU making a longer than desirable pack out possible. Additionally we will have black bear tags.

Gear: Since my partner and I have been hunting backcountry elk and deer we are both already equipped for this hunt. I have accumulated, over the years, equipment used in 90 degree September hunts to 0 degree October hunts. I have been primarily purchasing Kryptek products due to their 25% military discount and the fact that the owner are both veterans, coincidentally they flew the Apache attack helicopter as well, and they are local to Boise. I plan on bringing a couple pairs of merino wool underwear, one set (top and bottom) of lightweight merino base layer, one set of medium merino base layer, Kryptek Aquillo down jacket (puffy), Kryptek Dalibor 3 Jacket, Kryptek Koldo rain top and bottom, Kryptek Kratos synthetic puffy jacket and vest. I am bringing a Big Agnes 0 Degree sleeping bag with the Therm-a-Rest Neoair Xtherm insulated pad. I am bringing a Seek Outside 6 man tipi with titanium stove to be in addition to the tent provided by Aniak Air Guides for spike camp and drying gear with the stove. I have Katadyn water filter (pump stile) and a Sawyer water filter drip system. I purchased a Slumberjack 2.0 Railhauler for pack frame and am undecided whether I will use this with dry bags for my day to day pack as well or if I will additionally bring a Exo pack or Stone Glacier (planning on experimenting this elk season to make a decision). Jet Boil stove, a .300 win mag with 4x20 scope, Vortex Kaibab 15x56 binos and a Vortex HD 20x60x85 spotting scope. (Only one of us will bring the spotter and we are deciding on sharing a rifle with him bringing his bow if the opportunity presents itself). Undecided on boots yet but mostly likely will end up running Crispi's, once again experimenting this elk season. A Slumberjack packable tarp (one to be used with trekking poles) to protect our glassing points from rain. Haven't purchased yet but will either use Caribou Game Bags for moose or get the TAG bags.

Food is still undecided but will include Mountain House meals, pancake mix, dried peanut butter, bars, supplements, coffee packs, oatmeal, dehydrated fruits and other various items of that nature. Hope to kill some birds and pick berries to freshen up the menu! Will provide a detailed list with weights in the future.

Getting game back. This is where I am hoping that other that have come before and succeeded will contribute and assist in this decision process. I am starting to have conversation with Aniak Air Guides to help make this decision easier and I will update and new information is available. Please feel free to hit me up with comments and suggestions as this process is far from over but I think most of the leg work is complete.

Sounds like it boiled down to who had an opening not who you really wanted to go with. Good luck, it will be an adventure for sure.

I'll say one thing: For your first 3 posts you didn't hold anything back. I'm not dinging you either; rather, I'm impressed with the degree of work and preparation you've described. It sounds like you've got moose tracks on your brain right now. The good thing is you've still got time, plus you're apparently devoting the necessary time and energy to solving the puzzle. Good for you.

I can't add much to your situation regarding Aniak (the town) and Anchorage in terms of meat processing and handling. If Aniak offers no freezers or coolers, I fail to see how you can preserve all that meat until you get back to Anchorage. You may be forced to donate it entirely in order to prevent waste. However....

Somewhere in Anchorage there will be some type of business with large freezers suitable for freezing meat. Many hotels have freezers to accommodate hunters and fishermen bringing home their goods. You can get shipping boxes at the Alaska Air Cargo terminal. If your meat makes it to Anchorage, you might want to spend an extra day or two trimming, boxing and freezing it. At that point you can fly home with it, or arrange to have it shipped down to you. Keep in mind I'm talking about large chunks of meat which you will thaw and cut/wrap at home or per a local processor. And of course you might have it all cut and wrapped in Anchorage and then shipped. Quite expensive, but I would still do that vs giving it all up.

Best of luck to you!

VernAK

WKR
I'm glad to see someone doing their homework. I too am not familiar with the Aniak area but hunters seem to do well in that area.

Good Luck!

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Fourtune favors the prepared.

Hopefully I'll be planning a similar hunt in the future. Good luck with your adventures. I hope you continue sharing your journey

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up. Look forward to following your story as I am looking at doing something similar with my dad in the coming year/s. Thanks for posting your experience.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
My experience and research the past 3 years aligns almost exactly with the research you have done. From what I came to find out, it's almost impossible to find an opening with a reputable outfitter that offers unguided hunts. We finally found openings with one of the outfitters you mentioned.
Although the meat won't seem to be a huge issue for us as there is a freezer in town that we can store or meat. Then we will box/tote it up and ship it home on alaska air lines (suggested by a member here) the cheapest option as well.

If you’re driving from a major city, buy a cheap chest freezer at Costco, or the like, and tote it to Aniak. Or buy it online and have it shipped there, if it’s not too cost prohibitive. A 7cu. ft. freezer can be found for like $200.

Slip your hotel clerk a Jackson to plug it in somewhere when you arrive. That way it’s on standby, ready to go. If you’re fortunate to harvest an animal, spend a couple days on the back end processing and freezing it for the trip home. Then use soft sided coolers for the flights. You can leave the freezer with the outfitter as goodwill. $200 in the grand scheme of things is nothing. If you don’t make a kill, just return it with the receipt.

I’ve done it that way before. We quartered the animals (bone in) for the trip back to camp. We boned out the meat in camp for the bush flight. We spent a day at the end trimming and froze the meat for the 24 hour drive home. Now mind you it was for caribou, not moose, and my brother-in-law is a butcher. It’s a pain and I realize it can get expensive fast, but if your committed...

Like Larry Bartlett says, “$100 bills make problems go away like smoke through a keyhole!”

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
aniak was not road accessible when I was there and is pretty small.

when I was there many years ago I believe there was a way to cool meat [at least we had no trouble]

a generator furnished electric for the town if I remember

we floated the whole aniak river back then. all 100 mi

Last edited:
OP
A

attk64

FNG
My experience and research the past 3 years aligns almost exactly with the research you have done. From what I came to find out, it's almost impossible to find an opening with a reputable outfitter that offers unguided hunts. We finally found openings with one of the outfitters you mentioned.
Although the meat won't seem to be a huge issue for us as there is a freezer in town that we can store or meat. Then we will box/tote it up and ship it home on alaska air lines (suggested by a member here) the cheapest option as well.

I have also heard that signing up a known member with Alaska Air freight side can help achieve reasonable rates back to the lower 48. Talking to Rob a couple of days ago he mentioned that Alaska Air was not allowing uncut moose racks on their planes any longer. Trying to follow up on this.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have any friends in Anchorage? Connecting with a local can be a big help. Gotta be someday you know that knows somebody.. : ) Good job on the research, I like how you know what you wanted and tailored your efforts in that direction. Look forward to hearing how it all goes down.

So there is many other options in Alaska you can go with and save some money. Have you looked in Monster Moose Transport? They are out of Holy Cross Alaska. Their DIY runs about 6,500 and you can hunt the Moose Rut. They have 2 areas you can hunt. There most popular area is a Draw hunt but they have another area you can be dropped off at which is non draw. I went out with them 2 years ago and we shot 2 big bulls right on the beach.

I personally own AK Trophy Expediters LLC and my company is focused on getting all of your meat and antlers or fish back home for a cheaper rate. Plus I do all the leg work picking up the quarters from the airport and drop off where needed.

I also know a few other options you can go which are not listed on your post.

If anyone needs any help let me know I am always willing to help out anyone and answer any questions or point you in a good direction. Hunting Alaska can get expensive if you don't have the right resources or have somebody willing to share info with you.

aniak was not road accessible when I was there and is pretty small.

when I was there many years ago I believe there was a way to cool meat [at least we had no trouble]

a generator furnished electric for the town if I remember

we floated the whole aniak river back then. all 100 mi

Well, there you have it. Shows how much I know. You will not be driving. On to the next idea. Good luck!

OP
A

attk64

FNG
So there is many other options in Alaska you can go with and save some money. Have you looked in Monster Moose Transport? They are out of Holy Cross Alaska. Their DIY runs about 6,500 and you can hunt the Moose Rut. They have 2 areas you can hunt. There most popular area is a Draw hunt but they have another area you can be dropped off at which is non draw. I went out with them 2 years ago and we shot 2 big bulls right on the beach.

I personally own AK Trophy Expediters LLC and my company is focused on getting all of your meat and antlers or fish back home for a cheaper rate. Plus I do all the leg work picking up the quarters from the airport and drop off where needed.

I also know a few other options you can go which are not listed on your post.

If anyone needs any help let me know I am always willing to help out anyone and answer any questions or point you in a good direction. Hunting Alaska can get expensive if you don't have the right resources or have somebody willing to share info with you.
I’ll definitely contact you to see if we can figure something out, thanks. I did looked at Monster Moose, however they where a newer company without the depth I was looking for and it is similar to unit with regards to lack of elevation and that’s just not what we were looking for our hunt.