2020 Alaska Sheep Hunt

OP
Thank you all for the feedback. I have decided to book with Aaron Bloomquist on a cancellation hunt (HOPEFULLY.....not really a cancellation by the client but just asked to move out till 2021 but Aaron is headed north for this years sheep season and will get back with me first of Sept to finalize) and I requested to be guided by one of his main sheep guides Steve who I chatted with for at least an hour at the sheep show in Reno this last Feb. Aaron and Steve are both full time resident of Alaska and Steve has had extensive knowledge of the area in part to his personal hunts in the concessioned area. He just started guiding for Aaron "commercially" in 2018 but has personally taken/been directly involved with next of kin guiding since 2000 throughout the state of AK and is at 41 rams so far. This company was by far my first preferred option but due to them being booked out so long it was not going to work for me. I also plan to throw in a grizzly and caribou as well. This is a 100 percent Federally Concessioned area which means NO OTHER COMMERCIAL guides can legally hunt there. Residents are good to go but it is so remote that it often does not get hunted hard.

Again thank you for all the tips.

For folks looking at doing hunts in the future and doing research now for Alaska...……..get acquainted with the State of Alaska Big Game Commercial Services Board. Their website will show ALL legally licensed guides, how long they have held them, the level they are at and the areas they are licensed to sell hunts commercially. This is something I was vaguely familiar with prior to this post but have gotten smart on it now. If Alaska is your choice of hunts for ANYTHING you are hiring a guide for (not just sheep) this is an invaluable tool for research. Another point to look for is outfitters in Alaska who have federal concessions or outfitters who primarily hunt draw permit areas. These two options greatly reduce the pressure you will experience if that is what kind of hunt you are looking for. I know I was. Living in Colorado I see it all to often. Too many people in the same area looking for the same limited resource. I defiantly wanted to limit that on this dream hunt if possible. You are going to pay for it unfortunately but I guess that is what it is.

Good Luck to all.

Last edited:

MtGomer

WKR
You picked a great outfitter from what I know. If I were to go to the Brooks I’d go with Aaron or Riley Pitts, whichever could get me in.
I think you’ll have a great hunt.

Thank you all for the feedback. I have decided to book with Aaron Bloomquist on a cancellation hunt (HOPEFULLY.....not really a cancellation by the client but just asked to move out till 2021 but Aaron is headed north for this years sheep season and will get back with me first of Sept to finalize) and I requested to be guided by one of his main sheep guides Steve who I chatted with for at least an hour at the sheep show in Reno this last Feb. Aaron and Steve are both full time resident of Alaska and Steve has had extensive knowledge of the area in part to his personal hunts in the concessioned area. He just started guiding for Aaron "commercially" in 2018 but has personally taken/been directly involved with next of kin guiding since 2000 throughout the state of AK and is at 41 rams so far. This company was by far my first preferred option but due to them being booked out so long it was not going to work for me. I also plan to throw in a grizzly and caribou as well. This is a 100 percent Federally Concessioned area which means NO OTHER COMMERCIAL guides can legally hunt there. Residents are good to go but it is so remote that it often does not get hunted hard.

For folks looking at doing hunts in the future and doing research now for Alaska...……..get acquainted with the State of Alaska Big Game Commercial Services Board. Their website will show ALL legally licensed guides, how long they have held them, the level they are at and the areas they are licensed to sell hunts commercially. This is something I was vaguely familiar with prior to this post but have gotten smart on it now. If Alaska is your choice of hunts for ANYTHING you are hiring a guide for (not just sheep) this is an invaluable tool for research. Another point to look for is outfitters in Alaska who have federal concessions or outfitters who primarily hunt draw permit areas. These two options greatly reduce the pressure you will experience if that is what kind of hunt you are looking for. I know I was. Living in Colorado I see it all to often. Too many people in the same area looking for the same limited resource. I defiantly wanted to limit that on this dream hunt if possible. You are going to pay for it unfortunately but I guess that is what it is.

Good Luck to all.

Think you landed a great guide! Can’t wait to hear the story of your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox30buck

FNG
I went in 2018 to the Chugach Range, with Ultimate Alaskan Adventures (Steve Johnson). I was very please with their guides and knowledge of the area. Best of luck!

fatbacks

WKR

Good Luck to all.

Steve is a buddy of mine and you'll be in good hands - he is super knowledgeable and is an awesome person to be in the field with. It will definitely be a trip of a lifetime!

Bambistew

WKR
Because of some hostility our new guide on permit is experiencing with other resident outfitters I would rather not put his name on here until he has officially signed a contract and it becomes public record. The website and social media is down because until the new guide on permit is public record we did not want to be advertising hunts. It will be back up as soon as we feel it necessary. Once again, just some business and legal hoops we are jumping through, because of Shankster. If you can understand where I’m coming from I appreciate it and will gladly fill you in start-to-finish on a phone call 👍 or you can look me up on Facebook and message me, Garrett Gillespie. I cannot send you a PM on here unfortunately.

So who is the guide that you're contracting under?

Scottf270

WKR
I hunted with Andrew Weaver on Kodiak. He works for Scott Mileur there. I would think Andrew would be a hard working honest person or he wouldn't be involved in it.

OP
I have a few residents of AK I have met on this forum the last 6 weeks and have texted me after their hunt where DRO operates. Said it was packed with people both residents and non residents alike being guided by multiple commercial operations. And lots of resident air travel in and out of this area.
These residents said they had a run in with DRO and it was not friendly in the least and they are submitting a complaint to the AK Big Game Commercial Services Board of bullying type behavior. Aaron and Dayton the owners of DRO asked " why he was landing on "our" strips and going after "their" rams right in front of a paying client". When this guy pointed out that those strips he was landing on were public land strips and the rams in here are for the public use first and foremost the owner of DRO backpaddled and said "well we maintain those strips". He commented back you have maintained these for two years max and he has been coming in there for a decade plus maintaining them as well.

This resident said he was treated so bad by these "smug" assistant guides/owners that he was going to bring up to 10 resident hunter buddies of his in for free next year and was going to fund the av gas himself just to put a dent in this guide operation and land on "their" strips throughout the sheep and moose season next year. Is already planning the logistics of it.

This company is a not being up front at best. This Andrew Weaver and Pete Barela might be the operators for the licensing purposes but they are not running DRO as they should, being the registered guides. Aaron and Dayton are the true people running this operation and they are not even registered guides.
Unfortunately these residents of AK said that the hammer will not even come down on the owners of DRO and will come down on the dudes who signed the guide contracts....Andrew and Pete. He said though that Andrew and Pete signed on to this mess and the only way to get this company out of Alaska is to make legitimate complaints to the guide board and perhaps when the word gets out how the "actual" guys who run this operation treat locals and the non residents alike maybe they wont get actual registered guides to sign these contracts keeping DRO in business.

I was fooled by salesman from DRO who I thought were running a legitimate operation when I met them this year. These guys I feel are using a legal loophole in the law allowing them to sell hunts as it is "theirs" on the outside but when a little investigating is done they are not even legally able to be in the field without these registered guides signing these contracts. There should be a law against this type of salesmanship I feel and truly wonder how many other Alaska companies are doing this.

I feel fortunate that I was not suckered into a hunt with them and appreciate all the feedback I received from this site and am looking forward to my hunt next year in the Brooks.. Thank you for the texts and PM's I have received. It helped me stay clear of DRO. Thank you again.

On my way home from my sheep hunt this year I met a fella who just finished his hunt with Aaron’s outfit. He killed a dandy sheep, griz, and ‘bou and said he was close to being broken and quitting multiple times. That is the kind of hunt I’d be looking for, you’re in good hands!

OP
On my way home from my sheep hunt this year I met a fella who just finished his hunt with Aaron’s outfit. He killed a dandy sheep, griz, and ‘bou and said he was close to being broken and quitting multiple times. That is the kind of hunt I’d be looking for, you’re in good hands!

Do you know the fellas name you talked with who got the three animals? Do you know if he was on the first hunt 7-17 Aug or the second hunt 18-26 Aug?

Where did you hunt at? Was it a successful hunt? I’m Very excited for next year.

Thanks for the imput.

Wind hunted with Jonah and got a great ram!

The clients that Steve guided for Aaron did very well on nice big rams as well!

You'll have a wonderful trip 4ever!

Do you know the fellas name you talked with who got the three animals? Do you know if he was on the first hunt 7-17 Aug or the second hunt 18-26 Aug?

Where did you hunt at? Was it a successful hunt? I’m Very excited for next year.

Thanks for the imput.

As Nick said, I was with Jonah Stewart in the Brooks Range. Had a great hunt, got a dandy ram during the first week.

I don't recall the hunter's name but he was hunting the first week as well. He said his guide was a gal that had a background as a sheep biologist for the state and had nothing but great things to say about her.

Ovis Outfitters: 907.676.0421 Matt Thoft
907.676.0471 Emily Thoft

[email protected]

I just returned from the Brooks Range where I went on a guided grizzly bear hunt with these folks. They are fantastic hard working people that will do everything they possibly can to see that you have a great time and if you work hard should get opportunities at game you are hunting. I got a beautiful grizzly bear hunting with these folks and had an incredible time! I cannot say enough good things about them and would be touting them even if I had not gotten a bear. The whole trip was fantastic.

They have Dall sheep, caribou, moose, grizzly, and wolf hunts. When I was there a hunter of theirs came in with a 41 or 42" Dall ram that he had taken that was beautiful. They would be worth contacting and still have hunters out so they might be busy. E-mail might be best right now to reach them, but be kind as they are still very busy currently.

David

4ever you will have a great hunt with Aaron. Kick me a PM, I'd be happy to share some tidbits over the phone. I was Steve's second sheep guy and took both my sheep and my bou (since I was a cancellation I wasn't able to take a grizz). I met Steves first Hunter in town and he took all 3 critters.

Weather was tough on the second hunt, think the operation went 2/4 on sheep. One I am fairly certain was due to physical ability the other group hunted hard just dealt with a lot of snow!

I am now trying to find a way to leverage my 4 year wait into a savings account to go again!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JLMUELZ

FNG
I went in 2018 to the Chugach Range, with Ultimate Alaskan Adventures (Steve Johnson). I was very please with their guides and knowledge of the area. Best of luck!
Ive been talking with Steve about doing this hunt in 2022. Would you be willing to discuss your experience with me?