2020 Archery Elk advice/state/first timer

Hey guys,

Currently live in Washington, but everyone I talk to suggests hunting out of state for elk so that’s what I’m gonna do. I wanted to keep it close enough so that I could actually take a few scouting trips next summer.

As I mentioned, it’ll be my first time hunting elk in general. I’ve been wanting to try, but as an adult onset hunter I’ve been focusing on one species at a time to be more effective.

I’m between Idaho and Montana, and I’m not against Oregon either. They’re all a reasonable driving distance from me. Im not asking for units/spots/etc(although if you have advice on that I wouldn’t turn it down ;)) - I just want to narrow down a state so I can begin the escouting as soon as this season winds down. So as a newbie, which state would you choose?

Before it gets mentioned - I realize hunting in the state I live in would be preferred to driving somewhere else. I’ve heard time and time again(from people that I trust and on the internet) that Washington elk hunting is challenging to say the least. Since I’ve picked up hunting I’ve found that I learn the best when I have opportunities to learn from - I’ve often found myself in the woods before wondering just why I haven’t seen any animals - it’s tough to learn when you have zero feedback! That’s why I’m hoping the out of state bid will at least net me an opportunity or two - that way the following year I have a better base than a year of fuddling through the woods wondering where animals are and wondering what I’m doing incorrectly :)

Next question - calling. Obviously really really important, but just how much do I need to know? Obviously more is better, but how much is needed before you hit “diminishing returns”?

Anything else I should know? I’ll likely be striking out solo as I often do - with that said I know my limits and won’t be so far off the beaten path that I lose some of the animal to spoilage.

Thanks in advance.

wthunter

FNG
I really hope you are still applying in Washington to build preference points. You would be insane not to. I went on a hunt in Washington with a buddy who drew a tag and it was absolutely amazing. Called in multiple 300-330" bulls on public land. That 'tag along' hunt is what got me hooked on elk hunting. The unit that we went in could typically be drawn in 4-7 years. If Washington didn't make me buy a NR hunting license and NR elk tag JUST TO APPLY (no refunds), I would be applying there every year. There are some sleeper units for sure.

Obviously Idaho is your closest OTC option that I am aware of. It is close enough for you to do some scouting as well. Just keep in mind, OTC hunting is a different animal than a draw unit. I found that out the hard way when I had a tag myself in an OTC Idaho unit last year.

OP
J
I really hope you are still applying in Washington to build preference points. You would be insane not to. I went on a hunt in Washington with a buddy who drew a tag and it was absolutely amazing. Called in multiple 300-330" bulls on public land. That 'tag along' hunt is what got me hooked on elk hunting. The unit that we went in could typically be drawn in 4-7 years. If Washington didn't make me buy a NR hunting license and NR elk tag JUST TO APPLY (no refunds), I would be applying there every year. There are some sleeper units for sure.

Obviously Idaho is your closest OTC option that I am aware of. It is close enough for you to do some scouting as well. Just keep in mind, OTC hunting is a different animal than a draw unit. I found that out the hard way when I had a tag myself in an OTC Idaho unit last year.

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not dead set on something being the closest - just looking for something that will be a higher quality option than Washington OTC is all. If I have to drive to Montana that’s fine - I typically find myself there a time or two every year anyway to fish, I could just extend the trips a bit and dedicate a couple days each one for scouting.

I see Colorado and Wyoming getting thrown around a lot, but I can’t imagine I’ll be able to make more than one scouting trip(if that) into those states before season.

Like I mentioned, just looking for a place where I have a better opportunity for opportunities if that makes any sense.

wthunter

FNG
From the research I've done, and folks I've talked to that have hunted Colorado, I wouldn't drive through Idaho to go to CO for an OTC hunt. There are even more hunters in Colorado than Idaho. It is a closer driving distance to the east coast. You can find decent units in CO that take 1-3 points to draw though. The only units I know of in WY that you can draw without points is in Grizzly country and you need to have a guide since it is wilderness areas (WY law).

The reason why I chose to try Montana this year is because you technically have to draw as a NR. I just figured there might be less hunters since it was a draw state and people couldn't simply pickup a tag after other options fell through. Unlike last year, this year Montana had leftover tags from the NR draw though so that idea didn't matter....

slick

WKR
Rifle or archery?

I would suggest buying an OTC cow tag in MT for $275.

1) its a cheap way to get your feet wet
2)MT has long seasons for each weapon
3) good experience

OP
J
Rifle or archery?

I would suggest buying an OTC cow tag in MT for $275.

1) its a cheap way to get your feet wet
2)MT has long seasons for each weapon
3) good experience
Archery.

I’m not even upset about the cost of the tag - I’d consider whatever money well spent if opportunities were had and things were learned.

How is it hunting for cows via archery? I’ve heard it can be a pain due to there being so many ears and noses around.

We have done good in both Idaho and Montana OTC units. The best advice I wish I would have listened to early on was to pick a decent unit and learn it every year. Each year you seem to learn more and more and steadily get more consistent results.

OP
J
We have done good in both Idaho and Montana OTC units. The best advice I wish I would have listened to early on was to pick a decent unit and learn it every year. Each year you seem to learn more and more and steadily get more consistent results.

This is one of the reasons Idaho is on my list - I feel like its close enough and cheap enough I won't feel too bad spending the money for a couple years to get my feet wet.