2020 BC hunt in the works

Kindo

WKR
New guy looking to chase his first goat. We’ve got an outfitter in mind and currently working on figuring out a date to make this hunt happen.

Can anyone offer some advice on the best time frame for weather to chase these critters? We’re not overly concerned with coat/trophy quality etc but more interested in overall quality of being able to enjoy our bucket list hunt and not spend the majority of our time in a tent due to weather.
We’re well aware that chasing goats can mean complete $h!t for weather but just looking for general ideas.

We’ll be in the southern portion of the Jasper NP and we’ll be taking rifles.

Thanks!

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
What do you mean you will be in the southern portion of Jasper NP no hunting in the parks up here.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
What do you mean you will be in the southern portion of Jasper NP no hunting in the parks up here.

Sorry for the confusion, I guess when I was looking, that just seemed like the easiest point of reference for the general area we’ll be in. I currently don’t know any specific areas but thought maybe weather can affect different parts of a mountain range differently? (I’m a flat-lander from the Midwest with all my western hunting on the western slopes)

Thanks

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Who is the outfitter you have in mind, could maybe give you a better idea.

JoshT

FNG
September is definitely gonna be your best time for weather, compared to waiting until October when there's a higher chance for snow. When it comes to the mountains though you just never know. Alberta had a freak snow storm in September this last fall.(Which later melted)

I did a mountain goat hunt near the end of September last fall in coastal BC and we had to wait a few days for some nice weather and even then lots of the north facing peaks had plenty of snow.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I agree with JoshT, September should be better weather, but I am glad I went in October for the hair quality. I wasn't too far from Jasper. What outfitter?2014BCGoat6a.jpg

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks for the input fellas. What you’re saying is pretty much in line with what we’re kind of thinking. I plan on getting in touch with the outfitter in the next day or so and try to solidify a game plan.

Offhntn, that looks like an amazing hunt!

DennisT

FNG
Kindo,

I hunted goats in southeast BC in the middle of October, 2017. We had blue bird skies the first day, and the only snow was high up on the peaks. That night it started raining and snowing, and it continued for the next six days.

On the first day, there was no snow in the valley we hiked up. It rained more than it snowed that week, and that valley still had eighteen inches of snow on day five. Even the outfitter was surprised by the weather.

We hiked every day, and even tried the extreme opposite end of his guide use area one day, but the mountains were completely socked in.

Finally, on day seven it cleared just enough to glass. We found one Billy, and I was able to make a fairly long shot.

That night it dumped another foot of snow, and I was fortunate to be able to make it back to the airport on time.

The hides on the goats at that time of year is as good as they are going to get, but the weather is really iffy. Also, there are no bugs. The bugs in BC are no joke! They can be really bad, depending on the time of year you decide to go.BC 2017 033.jpg

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Kindo,

I hunted goats in southeast BC in the middle of October, 2017. We had blue bird skies the first day, and the only snow was high up on the peaks. That night it started raining and snowing, and it continued for the next six days.

On the first day, there was no snow in the valley we hiked up. It rained more than it snowed that week, and that valley still had eighteen inches of snow on day five. Even the outfitter was surprised by the weather.

We hiked every day, and even tried the extreme opposite end of his guide use area one day, but the mountains were completely socked in.

Finally, on day seven it cleared just enough to glass. We found one Billy, and I was able to make a fairly long shot.

That night it dumped another foot of snow, and I was fortunate to be able to make it back to the airport on time.

The hides on the goats at that time of year is as good as they are going to get, but the weather is really iffy. Also, there are no bugs. The bugs in BC are no joke! They can be really bad, depending on the time of year you decide to go.View attachment 88018

Dennis, Thanks for reaching out. That country looks amazing and I feel that this is going to be a long 20 months for me... We're all confirmed in for the hunt; however, we're still trying to pick a week and we're leaning more towards the first week of October if not just a smidge earlier depending on when the actual hunt will begin.

How far of a shot was that?

Congrats on a fine goat!

DennisT

FNG
Dennis, Thanks for reaching out. That country looks amazing and I feel that this is going to be a long 20 months for me... We're all confirmed in for the hunt; however, we're still trying to pick a week and we're leaning more towards the first week of October if not just a smidge earlier depending on when the actual hunt will begin.

How far of a shot was that?

Congrats on a fine goat!
Thanks, I appreciate it. I shot him 3 times at 397 yards. Fortunately, he stayed right where I shot him and did not roll. Physically it can be a tough hunt. Just try to get in the best shape you can, and make sure your boots are broken in really well. The best thing I’ve found is to do a lot of hiking with some weight in your pack. Other than that, have fun. It is an amazing hunt! Post some pictures when you get back!

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks, I appreciate it. I shot him 3 times at 397 yards. Fortunately, he stayed right where I shot him and did not roll. Physically it can be a tough hunt. Just try to get in the best shape you can, and make sure your boots are broken in really well. The best thing I’ve found is to do a lot of hiking with some weight in your pack. Other than that, have fun. It is an amazing hunt! Post some pictures when you get back!

Now that I think of it, I think my buddy was there for that same storm. He had about one day of glassing out of his 6 or 7 day hunt...

Well, we just sent in our deposits do here’s to hoping I have some pictures to share in 21 months!