Status
Not open for further replies.
My first elk! Idaho otc diy rifle.
f95763faa7c05e3ec3e95cc891622030.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m not usually one for sappy posts but I’d like to share a little about my wife’s elk hunt this season.

When I found out my wife had drawn a leftover bull tag I was excited at the chance to take her on her first elk hunt and hopefully be fortunate enough to have a picture of a great bull to share with you guys. Well she got her chance at a bull over the weekend but it wasn’t at all what we’d really expected/hoped for. Some friends seen this bull while searching for deer and told us about him, we made the hike knowing there was likely something wrong with this bull based on his location and the way they described him.

We got to 500 yards and it was clear something was wrong just looking at his demeanor. We snuck into 250 and it became very evident he was in bad shape and something needed to be done to help him on his way. My wife made the decision to shoot this bull and end his suffering knowing we may not be able to salvage any meat. 2 well placed shots and he never even attempted to leave his bed, unfortunately we weren’t able to salvage the meat as infection from a previous gunshot wound to his front leg had started to spread and he was slowly dying of infection and starvation. She was very thankful for the opportunity to harvest her first bull even if it wasn’t what we’d hoped for. It was a truly humbling experience for us, and one we won’t soon forget.

This woman makes me so incredibly proud, anyways sorry for the long sappy post. Here’s her 2020 bull, God is good! Best of luck to those still pursuing these animals we all have so much admiration for. F14080CB-8B38-4035-A252-D27FF01C6876.jpeg

Last edited:

D111d

FNG
I’m not usually one for sappy posts but I’d like to share a little about my wife’s elk hunt this season.

When I found out my wife had drawn a leftover bull tag I was excited at the chance to take her on her first elk hunt and hopefully be fortunate enough to have a picture of a great bull to share with you guys. Well she got her chance at a bull over the weekend but it wasn’t at all what we’d really expected/hoped for. Some friends seen this bull while searching for deer and told us about him, we made the hike knowing there was likely something wrong with this bull based on his location and the way they described him.

We got to 500 yards and it was clear something was wrong just looking at his demeanor. We snuck into 250 and it became very evident he was in bad shape and something needed to be done to help him on his way. My wife made the decision to shoot this bull and end his suffering knowing we may not be getting any elk meat this season. 2 well placed shots and he never even attempted to leave his bed, unfortunately we weren’t able to salvage the meat as infection from a previous gunshot wound to his front leg had started to spread and he was slowly dying of infection and starvation. She was very thankful for the opportunity to harvest her first bull even if it wasn’t what we’d hoped for. It was a truly humbling experience for us, and one we won’t soon forget.

This woman makes me so incredibly proud, anyways sorry for the sappy post. Here’s her 2020 bull, God is good! Best of luck to those still pursuing these animals we all have so much admiration for. View attachment 225857
Way to do right by that elk even at your own expense, enjoy the rack and if you are in CO let me know and I can share some meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.