2020 Best Whitetail Buck Hunt Photo, Sponsored by First Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
1B7D1D3B-14A4-4264-A301-0F7C0470C19A.jpegSolo Hunt. Montana Mountain Buck. Rattled him in Oct. 31st and he slipped away before getting a shot. Went back 4 times trying to find him before harvesting him on Nov. 8th. Cut his fresh track which lead me to him actively chasing a doe. His doe came dead at me before veering off @ 10yds and he followed suit. Ended up taking him @ 35yds.

Last edited:

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Southern Ohio, 11/10/20, Scouted my way into a new area I'd never hunted before in the dark and staged on the ground to hunt a particular terrain feature with the plan to find a tree in grey light to saddle hunt from. I was on a giant ridge and could see the side of the next ridge over, down into a briar filled powerline all the way up and down the ridge. I see a big buck on the opposite ridge, broke off on one side but I dont care about that, about 450yds away at 8:50am. He beds and I feel I can make a stalk on him. I text my hunting partner, he catches up to me and we watching the buck pushing does around the ridge. Just before we make our move, the buck gets up and pushes a doe down into the ravine below him. We decide to try moving in closer and calling him in.. But we can't go right at him from where we were, its basically a cliff of dense briars so we literally run a mile or so loop out around the ridge we are on into the bottom and try to cut them off thinking the doe is going to pull the buck down the valley.

We get to the bottom and are on high alert, spot and stalk mode sticking to shadows, playing wind, using terrain and vegetation as cover, trying to locate the doe or buck so we are hoping they're still near the powerline which is 150yds north of us yet. We sneak to within 75yds of the powerline and set up on the ground for a calling sequence, my friend is about 40yds behind me and a great caller, but no luck. No deer pop out. We are thinking the buck chased the doe somewhere else while we were looping around to get to the valley but there was still cover along the powerline I couldn't see so I start to still hunt up the ridge along the briars of the powerline. I'm using the wind and logs as cover and stalk closer through open hardwoods up towards a big oak I marked from my glassing point which was approximately the same elevation they were when I last saw them. There is a big spur coming off the main ridge towards the power line briars. I didn't know it at the time, but the topo in the power line was kind of like a 40yd wide half pipe shaped ravine on the other side of the spur. I sit just off the edge of the half pipe, range all the shooting lanes, and wait 15 minutes and don't see anything so I start inching towards the edge so I can see the last bit of cover I hadn't laid eyes on and all the sudden the buck pops out of it, 20yds quartering away. I kneeled, shot when he hit 30yds, perfect hit. Pass thru from tight to near shoulder (destroyed the shoulder and lost most of the meat from it unfortunately) and passed thru in front of opposite shoulder. He takes off and two does I didnt realize were also there take off behind him. He had em pinned tight to that heavy cover at the very bottom of the halfpipe- 80 degrees, close to water, would have been shaded almost the whole day. It was about 10:15am when I shot. Easy tracking and found him a short ways away.

This buck had a huge body, pics dont do it justice, but likely 5.5 or 6.5 years old, looking forward to having the bottom jaw aged. Would have dressed over 200lbs easy. Single trip pack out was rough, haha! Body size makes half of a big 8pt rack look kinda normal. For scale, im just over 6' and 240lbs.
f1fd8ad32228712eece76b185015afe9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
KIMG3441~2.JPG

My son's carrying out my rifle and my first whitetail. This Fall was their first time deer hunting and it was an amazing trip. So proud of them.

Crusader

WKR
Best buck of my life, 23" inside spread, 9-pointer and a broken off tine. 182# field dressed. Northeast Missouri on my farm. Saw him 5 days earlier at 70 yards while bowhunting. Rifle had a bit more range!

Attachments

• IMG_6065.JPG
    IMG_6065.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 80

C.payne

WKR
10/22/20
Okanagan, BC CanadaB67C4B42-1BD7-40C0-91A6-6B9D46EA4241.jpeg
7 bucks entered the field within seconds of each other. They were making their way across the field where they go to a neighbour’s property to feed. With very little time and just out of bow range I had to go to Plan B. I was able to anchor the largest of the group just before he jumped the fence into the other property.

Status
Not open for further replies.