2020 bird season

rhustek

FNG
CO sage grouse

Put in some miles and struck out the first day. Second day was a bit more fun, dog locked up on point so I got excited.......ended up being a skunk. He looked like an episode of shark week, killed it in seconds. Must have been a younger one, he didn't get sprayed TOO badly! Luckily no scratches or bites either.

On the way out found one sun bathing so figured what the heck. Ended up getting a couple, big size difference but these are big birds if not familiar. The smaller one in this picture is about the size of a pheasant.

Attachments

• 2020 Sage Grouse.JPG
    2020 Sage Grouse.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 40
Had some friends up from mn. Got them on scoters barrows and a couple harlies.
66abc481f85e3144e3b6352114fe9045.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
Had some friends up from mn. Got them on scoters barrows and a couple harlies.
66abc481f85e3144e3b6352114fe9045.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Do you eat those sea ducks? My experience eating divers hasn't been very positive, can't imagine eating something that feeds on shellfish.

Do you eat those sea ducks? My experience eating divers hasn't been very positive, can't imagine eating something that feeds on shellfish.
I thought the same thing and did a little research and hank shaw has some recipes that look amazing. He said as long as you get ALL of the fat off them they are good just maybe a little more "ducky"

Oregon

WKR
we eat every single sea duck we shoot. lots of people say they taste bad blah blah blah. I mostly make fajitas and stir frys with them.

I’ve killed a bunch of sea ducks. Used to specifically target scoters, squaws and GE’s.
Real fun shoots.
No matter what I did to them, they always tasted like I’d assume the ass of a road kill skunk would taste like.
Puddle ducks are one of my favorite meals. Medium rare. I eat duck probably 4 times a week.
Sea ducks are destined for the snack stick pile.
Only way I found them to be edible.

Oregon

WKR
some people just dont like the taste of gamey meat i guess and they are always real excited to tell people how terrible they are.

Everyone has a different palate.
Gamey really isn’t a taste. People use gamey to describe meat that doesn’t taste like beef.

To me it’s all meat. About the only meat I don’t enjoy is sea ducks. It smells.
I’m happy to hear you enjoy it and utilize it.

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm so stinking happy that duck season is here again. It closes after today for a split in Missouri but I've hit it hard a couple days that it's been open this week. I haven't necessarily had ducks raining in but I've managed 9 birds in 3 outings with 2 large mallards Wednesday on a Veterans Day hunt. I'm looking forward to getting a deer on the ground this weekend and then get some duck calls made up before season opens again.