2020 Blacktail Success Thread

Tobias

FNG
well done guys! especially love those big monster forkies! one of these days i'm gonna do a backcountry cali BT hunt. i want to kill a blacktail in every region they live in from SE AK to high country california bucks.... one of those big forks would be best case scenario... or a big tall 3 without eyeguards, both of those are what i picture when thinking of the cali blacktail.

season starts here in a couple weeks, due to the dates i'm hunting a rifle tag this year, but plan on packing my bow often too. i'm always torn on weapon for blacktail, i love glassing up bucks from a vantage point with my rifle, and i also love the close encounters targeting them with my bow.... doesn't matter to me.

between my friends and family, there will be a lot of deer to get killed, and i'm excited about the challenge. i will keep my standards at something bigger than your standard 3.5yr old 3pt.... more or less just looking forward to spend some time in trophy country, i love hanging out where blacktail do, their classic habitat is beautiful to hunt.

the cali hunt may be sooner than later, my wife and i are looking for a home in the border town of my state and cali, so i'll have no excuse not to..... and i'll be close to the best blacktail population in my state.
Nothing like bow hunting blacktail. Such cool critters

Here are my 2020 California Blacktail. I scouted 20 or so days and I hunted 30 days, saw 6 deer the entire time, only 3 bucks...one just after shooting light opening night, the next 21 days later when I killed the smaller fork... first week of rifle, I hunted close to all or all of archery season no shots. That night I had shots on two bucks and chose the larger of the two.. They were sparring behind me in the brush for 30 minutes and then came walking up the trail....like some of you know, avoiding open spaces like its hot lava. Anyways, I couldnt pass up a shot after 21 days of sitting in different trees tracking deer and meticulously entering and exiting from my trees to avoid scent/pushing deer....So I took a 7 yard shot after letting down once due to bad angle. Hit him quartering away high lung liver and he died 100 + yards down a steep hill. Second buck came also in rifle season, about 10 days before closer...the day after the crazy heatwave let up I decided to hunt a new spot where I had seen him on camera earlier in the season twice...both photos at night and weeks apart, but I knew he lived in there from those photos. So I set up between what I thought was his bedding/water and the trail he used to go feed and check doe bedding areas...he came walking up at 7pm (both deer were shot around 7:15 pm)...and I waited and double lunged him at about 5 yards (I don't use a range finder cause I don't take long shots and can Judge yardage). He died in 2 seconds on his feet, took me 5 hours to get him to my truck. Both deer were killed in central coastal A zone. My equipment was a 58 lb stalker stick bows recurve, hand made sure wood shafts Doug fir arrows I built and fletched with turkey feathers from my spring turkey I took with the same bow. Killed both bucks with different Broadheads, one was an old Simmons head and the other an eclipse glue on. I hunt big timber, its loud and a tree stand or ground blind is about the only way to go with trad. Ive never seen or got a photo of a buck with 3 points or double eye guards in my spot...a few with one eye guard but no crabclaw rears, I know the old bucks are there...I just have to find them. I run a lone wolf assault 2 with 4 sticks and hang and hunt a handful of different trees depending on wind and sign. Hope everyone had a great season and enjoyed their time out in the woods, I know I sure did...and boy was it a lot of work. Im already back out in the woods scouting for next season.

Attachments

• Buck 2020 August.jpeg
    Buck 2020 August.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Buck 2020 september .jpeg
    Buck 2020 september .jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 122

cjdewese

WKR
Here are my 2020 California Blacktail. I scouted 20 or so days and I hunted 30 days, saw 6 deer the entire time, only 3 bucks...one just after shooting light opening night, the next 21 days later when I killed the smaller fork... first week of rifle, I hunted close to all or all of archery season no shots. That night I had shots on two bucks and chose the larger of the two.. They were sparring behind me in the brush for 30 minutes and then came walking up the trail....like some of you know, avoiding open spaces like its hot lava. Anyways, I couldnt pass up a shot after 21 days of sitting in different trees tracking deer and meticulously entering and exiting from my trees to avoid scent/pushing deer....So I took a 7 yard shot after letting down once due to bad angle. Hit him quartering away high lung liver and he died 100 + yards down a steep hill. Second buck came also in rifle season, about 10 days before closer...the day after the crazy heatwave let up I decided to hunt a new spot where I had seen him on camera earlier in the season twice...both photos at night and weeks apart, but I knew he lived in there from those photos. So I set up between what I thought was his bedding/water and the trail he used to go feed and check doe bedding areas...he came walking up at 7pm (both deer were shot around 7:15 pm)...and I waited and double lunged him at about 5 yards (I don't use a range finder cause I don't take long shots and can Judge yardage). He died in 2 seconds on his feet, took me 5 hours to get him to my truck. Both deer were killed in central coastal A zone. My equipment was a 58 lb stalker stick bows recurve, hand made sure wood shafts Doug fir arrows I built and fletched with turkey feathers from my spring turkey I took with the same bow. Killed both bucks with different Broadheads, one was an old Simmons head and the other an eclipse glue on. I hunt big timber, its loud and a tree stand or ground blind is about the only way to go with trad. Ive never seen or got a photo of a buck with 3 points or double eye guards in my spot...a few with one eye guard but no crabclaw rears, I know the old bucks are there...I just have to find them. I run a lone wolf assault 2 with 4 sticks and hang and hunt a handful of different trees depending on wind and sign. Hope everyone had a great season and enjoyed their time out in the woods, I know I sure did...and boy was it a lot of work. Im already back out in the woods scouting for next season.
Man that tall forky is really cool. Good job making it happen with a traditional bow with arrows that you built and fletched with feathers from another hunt. Nice work.

brushape

WKR
My Ca b zone buck. Was a short season and my time was very limited to hunt but I got lucky and stumbled into a nice little bachelor group of bucks including this one and another 22-24” crab claw 4 point. This one had him beat in a big way in age and body size so a couple shots (that’s another story) from the little 6.5 creed and he was Down. I’ve shot a lot of good size black tail and I’m sure without a doubt this was the biggest bodied one I’ve ever shot. I’ll be doing a shoulder mount on him this winter myself
54deb9abec5218b92b4db823e79430ed.jpg

89c9bd8c5770c08552ff7bb479146cec.jpg

433257fdd0b2b9f1ab208e0ef17ff278.jpg

His score is hard to see in pics the mass makes him look short in length and the height makes his mass look small I’m super happy with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my last deer mounted with the NQ90 offset and really like it. Shows a bit more shoulder which I like a lot.

Oregon coast buck from 2 days ago. Missed a pig a couple days prior due to technical difficulties... easy shot too (140-150 yds from a good rest) I passed this buck the next day, but then decided to shoot him if I had another chance... fun hunt, another noon O’ clock buck... long heavy pack out... all in all a good season

Attachments

• 3BD9E544-EF66-4DB4-9F11-D0B6E429CD93.jpeg
    3BD9E544-EF66-4DB4-9F11-D0B6E429CD93.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 95
  • C853CE0F-253D-4FDB-83E4-8BB34A879ABE.jpeg
    C853CE0F-253D-4FDB-83E4-8BB34A879ABE.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 94
My wife got her second blackie a couple weeks ago, proud of her, she spotted it and made a perfect shot... she started hunting last year and killed a buck and bull, now this year she keeps her streak going and hoping we can get her on another bull this year. She did great, found the deer in the scope fast, and made a great shot... things we can take for granted after hunting a lot

Attachments

• 4A8A820A-80EA-481B-AB02-C382781B37B0.jpeg
    4A8A820A-80EA-481B-AB02-C382781B37B0.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 86