2020 Blacktail Success Thread

58a7eeb82868a6b7c6223272ed53973c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58a7eeb82868a6b7c6223272ed53973c.jpg

sure hope you send a tooth in on that buck, i bet he is ancient for a buck. how do his teeth look? really cool unique buck, and looks like some next level terrain you killed him in, congrats! too bad he got busted up, i would probably have those tines fixed by a taxi, or spend a lot of time up there looking for pieces, haha

congrats on a very cool buck

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Southern Oregon buck solo trip. This is my first buck after 8 years of hunting here. I am only 16 and got my drivers license this year which let me scout and hunt a lot more than in years past. I passed on 4 small bucks before finding this nice 3 pt. Congrats to those finding success!!!
5896b7c92f7092e573cf922a7f0be611.jpg

sure hope you send a tooth in on that buck, i bet he is ancient for a buck. how do his teeth look? really cool unique buck, and looks like some next level terrain you killed him in, congrats! too bad he got busted up, i would probably have those tines fixed by a taxi, or spend a lot of time up there looking for pieces, haha

congrats on a very cool buck

I was a bit frazzled when I got to the deer and didn’t look much for the antler pieces. I’ll go back and look maybe in the spring. If the skull is still there maybe I’ll grab a tooth, do you know what it costs to get that done?

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I was a bit frazzled when I got to the deer and didn’t look much for the antler pieces. I’ll go back and look maybe in the spring. If the skull is still there maybe I’ll grab a tooth, do you know what it costs to get that done?

What state are you in? For Oregon I believe it is free to send a tooth in. Do you not back out the head/antlers?

_Tyler_

FNG
Was lucky enough to draw a late season rifle tag in WA and harvested this guy. I’ve never had one scored or even shoulder mounted since he’s the biggest I’ve killed. Anyone have any idea on what he may score? Not sure how well you can tell the mass, but I can hardly wrap my hands around the base of the antlers.

Attachments

• DC38BB73-8148-4186-9473-6EA5C2B81CE4.jpeg
    DC38BB73-8148-4186-9473-6EA5C2B81CE4.jpeg
    890.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 05622FB5-6EF4-4D12-96CD-E9699BBC641D.jpeg
    05622FB5-6EF4-4D12-96CD-E9699BBC641D.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 77
  • F19B3AC0-911A-498E-8211-8EFC35DC45CE.jpeg
    F19B3AC0-911A-498E-8211-8EFC35DC45CE.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 68
  • 5B880773-C096-45CB-9C66-8DB45B65BA7A.jpeg
    5B880773-C096-45CB-9C66-8DB45B65BA7A.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 78

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
996FBDE2-7901-4F36-B3E9-DB512F439313.jpegAC293917-598C-46C5-8B9E-8F8C6BE26C35.jpeg261A6722-41C7-4091-98D4-DE9E1EE8BE56.jpeg143A0101-149B-4ED6-B957-4046A6053F85.jpeg
I hope these pictures show up. I got this buck on October 10 on my parents property in coastal B zone. It is by far the biggest Blacktail I’ve ever seen anywhere near their land. It was the one day the season where it rained a little bit and I made a point to get up there and get into the woods while it was raining. The property is only 25 acres and we rarely see bucks hanging out there but at the right times they pass through from other properties. I was actually just about to take off because I was supposed to be watching my kids and my sister-in-law‘s kids while my wife and sister-in-law went to a wedding. Right as I was about to walk out of the woods I saw this buck standing under some trees looking at me. I didn’t realize how big of a buck I had shot until he jumped at the shot and died right in front of me. I didn’t get any good field photos because I was really rushing to get home in time. I did win the local big buck contest. He has eight points on each side including eye guards. A couple of the points are under 1 inch though. His outside spread is just a hair under 20 inches.

Last edited:

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Was lucky enough to draw a late season rifle tag in WA and harvested this guy. I’ve never had one scored or even shoulder mounted since he’s the biggest I’ve killed. Anyone have any idea on what he may score? Not sure how well you can tell the mass, but I can hardly wrap my hands around the base of the antlers.
I agree with the above statement, gross somewhere in 110" range. Either way the character of the buck is awesome. There are a lot of great WA blacktail that score poorly but win huge points in the character/uniqueness category in my book.

_Tyler_

FNG
I agree with the above statement, gross somewhere in 110" range. Either way the character of the buck is awesome. There are a lot of great WA blacktail that score poorly but win huge points in the character/uniqueness category in my book.
Makes sense. Thanks! I love the junk he’s got.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sense. Thanks! I love the junk he’s got.
Don't be surprised if the NET score is low, but those bases are wicked. I've taken several low scoring bucks that are unique/old which means more to me then inches on a scoresheet. If you still have the lower jaw pull the front teeth and send them in to WDFW for aging, they offer it for free.

Tobias

FNG
View attachment 230252View attachment 230247View attachment 230248View attachment 230249
I hope these pictures show up. I got this buck on October 10 on my parents property in coastal B zone. It is by far the biggest Blacktail I’ve ever seen anywhere near their land. It was the one day the season where it rained a little bit and I made a point to get up there and get into the woods while it was raining. The property is only 25 acres and we rarely see buck hanging out there but at the right times they passed through from other properties. I was actually just about to takeoff because I was supposed to be watching my kids and my sister-in-law‘s kids while my wife and sister-in-law went to a wedding. Right as I was about to walk out of the woods I saw this buck standing under some trees looking at me. I didn’t realize how big of a buck I had shot until he jumped At the shot and died right in front of me. I didn’t get any good field photos because I was really rushing to get home in time. I did win the local big buck contest. He has eight points on each side including a guards. A couple of the points are under 1 inch though. His outside spread is just a hair under 20 inches.

That’s a beautiful buck. Congrats! Looks like you had yourself a season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Score, about 110 is my guess, score generally does a mature Blacktail buck no justice, you got yourself a beautiful buck! Big and cool character, dandy!! Awesome buck

View attachment 230252View attachment 230247View attachment 230248View attachment 230249
I hope these pictures show up. I got this buck on October 10 on my parents property in coastal B zone. It is by far the biggest Blacktail I’ve ever seen anywhere near their land. It was the one day the season where it rained a little bit and I made a point to get up there and get into the woods while it was raining. The property is only 25 acres and we rarely see buck hanging out there but at the right times they passed through from other properties. I was actually just about to takeoff because I was supposed to be watching my kids and my sister-in-law‘s kids while my wife and sister-in-law went to a wedding. Right as I was about to walk out of the woods I saw this buck standing under some trees looking at me. I didn’t realize how big of a buck I had shot until he jumped At the shot and died right in front of me. I didn’t get any good field photos because I was really rushing to get home in time. I did win the local big buck contest. He has eight points on each side including a guards. A couple of the points are under 1 inch though. His outside spread is just a hair under 20 inches.
there's a cali buck that is undoubtedly 100% BLACKTAIL! not many cali bucks look that blacktail, haha... awesome buck, you got yourself a stud!!!

What state are you in? For Oregon I believe it is free to send a tooth in. Do you not back out the head/antlers?

The antlers were broke off of the head, only attached by skin so I skinned part of the head to get the antlers rather than carry the whole head out.