2020 California Bear

Scouting for the season is in full effect. Lets see how everyone is doing and have engaging conversation about sex, size, field judging, etc.

That is a very nice bear. I’ve been pretty happy with my scouting, got eyes on a few that are definite shooters. A few from last year are on my list for this archery season, but I’ll definitely break out the rifle late season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
David Gough
That is a very nice bear. I’ve been pretty happy with my scouting, got eyes on a few that are definite shooters. A few from last year are on my list for this archery season, but I’ll definitely break out the rifle late season.

Thanks. Here’s a broad side shot.
91848345712a02069a9e4e33454020f5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
David Gough
62af1016cc3d3593ca00379a04572275.jpg

Blonde bear #2. One of them I had on camera, saw scouting, and had in my rifle scope in November last year.

@David Gough
How does your strategy change hunting bears in Nov/Dec after deer season ends? I’ve got a spot that I can always find bears during archery, but once rifle season opens it gets hit hard by deer hunters and the bears move out. I’m assuming they’ll be back after pressure dies down? Never hunted them past the end of October.

OP
David Gough
@David Gough
How does your strategy change hunting bears in Nov/Dec after deer season ends? I’ve got a spot that I can always find bears during archery, but once rifle season opens it gets hit hard by deer hunters and the bears move out. I’m assuming they’ll be back after pressure dies down? Never hunted them past the end of October.

Food, food, food. They will anything and everything they can with a calorie at that point of the year. Find fresh scat and any other sign you can. Then it's just a waiting game for one to move through.

I don't hunt in an area with oak trees, but if you can find a spot where acorns have fallen I'd setup a couple hundred yards away and wait.

MeatBuck

WKR
@David Gough
No the bears are just following the food sources. By late November and into December the feed is getting more widespread and they’re usually harder to find.
Your better off not hunting after deer season ends in my opinion. I saw more bears during 1 general Bzone deer than I did in two consecutive m11 hunts (late Bzone muzzleloader).
Find an area laden with acorn during deer season and your effectively “getting two birds stoned at once” or however it goes.

OP
David Gough
No the bears are just following the food sources. By late November and into December the feed is getting more widespread and they’re usually harder to find.
Your better off not hunting after deer season ends in my opinion. I saw more bears during 1 general Bzone deer than I did in two consecutive m11 hunts (late Bzone muzzleloader).
Find an area laden with acorn during deer season and your effectively “getting two birds stoned at once” or however it goes.

Hopefully there's a ton of stoned birds in the woods this fall :p

I had two bears in my scope one afternoon in November, but I think that was an anomaly. Hoping to get it done during archery season as my time is earmarked for other hunts until November.

MeatBuck

WKR
Basing this purely off of the shit I’ve seen while hunting... feed looks like this.
Spring; grass and fawns
Early summer; grass fawns and berries
Summer; berries and grubs
Fall; acorns
Late fall, early winter; acorns and whatever else.

OP
David Gough
Lots of grass is the scat from the spring months. Finding a ton of rocks and stumps turned over right now looking for grubs and insects until the berries ripen.

MeatBuck

WKR
Hopefully there's a ton of stoned birds in the woods this fall :p

I had two bears in my scope one afternoon in November, but I think that was an anomaly. Hoping to get it done during archery season as my time is earmarked for other hunts until November.
We saw bears (and bear hunters with hounds)in November. But not the numbers like in September and October. Like I say I think they vacuum up the main acorns pretty quickly and have to wander a bit more to stay on them as it gets later towards winter.

jfs82

WKR
My time in B zone last year for general deer found tons of fresh scat full of manzanita berries and acorns. Also found a relatively fresh cow spine in a manzanita grove completely surrounded by scat. Kinda cool but kinda unnerving.

MeatBuck

WKR
Lots of grass is the scat from the spring months. Finding a ton of rocks and stumps turned over right now looking for grubs and insects until the berries ripen.
Elevation plays a role in when berries will be ripe. But by time season comes they usually are. And what kind of berries we talkin? Black berries, elder berries and manzanita berries?

OP
David Gough
Elevation plays a role in when berries will be ripe. But by time season comes they usually are. And what kind of berries we talkin? Black berries, elder berries and manzanita berries?

Mostly manzanita berry in the areas I hunt the most. Some elder berries and choke cherries if I go hunt the west slope. No acorns where I hunt, but you'll see some bears get desperate and destroy pine cones. I'm going to try and find some more water sources

OP
David Gough
My time in B zone last year for general deer found tons of fresh scat full of manzanita berries and acorns. Also found a relatively fresh cow spine in a manzanita grove completely surrounded by scat. Kinda cool but kinda unnerving.

Being in the tall brush with a bear you can hear but can't see is definitely a rush of emotions

MeatBuck

WKR
I bumped a couple beef while archery hunting b zone last year. They ran away then suddenly spooked and went straight up hill. I thought must be a bear somewhere close. Sat down and glassed a bit there and suddenly out of the manzanita popped a blacky at like 15-20 yards and moved into opening. I waited for him to go downhilll so I could get drawn. Stood up and made a poor hit, high shoulder and he ran down to the bottom and kept going. As darkness set in a pulled off blood and that was that.

OP
David Gough
I bumped a couple beef while archery hunting b zone last year. They ran away then suddenly spooked and went straight up hill. I thought must be a bear somewhere close. Sat down and glassed a bit there and suddenly out of the manzanita popped a blacky at like 15-20 yards and moved into opening. I waited for him to go downhilll so I could get drawn. Stood up and made a poor hit, high shoulder and he ran down to the bottom and kept going. As darkness set in a pulled off blood and that was that.

I have a spot I'll be putting a camera up in that has everything you look for in bear habitat, plus a large herd of cattle in a field not too far away. Saw a big chocolate there last year near water.