2020 California Bear

Matias

FNG
Curious with those that shot or have shot bears, what do you do with the meat. Interested in talking one this year but don't want it to go to waste

You eat it. If its not to your liking, grind it and make dog food out of it , but please don't shoot one and leave the meat.

OP
David Gough
Curious with those that shot or have shot bears, what do you do with the meat. Interested in talking one this year but don't want it to go to waste

Eat it. Render the fat into oil, or use it to cook with the meat. Since most bears carry trichinosis and you have to cook the bear meat past medium the meat is usually used in slow cooked dishes. Stew, pot roast, meatballs, burger, etc. One of my favorite game meats.

It's against wanton waste laws to not take all edible portions of bear meat after you kill one in California.

OP
David Gough

af13f78ff957d3586b7365234030ce6b.jpg

That’s the bear meat not including backstraps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
They do not give refunds. Says that right on the screen when you purchased them initially.

I believe most are back open at this point

Maybe its just up by where I am looking to hunt, but it read to me like day activities only and said nothing about hunting, just said no overnight and no new permits (burn or access). But I could have interpreted that wrong.

Thanks for the info. Ill keep digging to see if I can find anything on the gov site.

Maybe its just up by where I am looking to hunt, but it read to me like day activities only and said nothing about hunting, just said no overnight and no new permits (burn or access). But I could have interpreted that wrong.

Thanks for the info. Ill keep digging to see if I can find anything on the gov site.

Gotcha, yeah from what I read hunting is open but no camping outside of designated spots. Depending on where you’re at, I’m sure. I believe that was for the Tahoe NF.

Gotcha, yeah from what I read hunting is open but no camping outside of designated spots. Depending on where you’re at, I’m sure. I believe that was for the Tahoe NF.

When I called specifically about Tahoe NF, the person I spoke with was really unsure how "shooting" would be handled because of the fire issues just a few miles north and west. But they also said that they would think unless otherwise posted, that day hunting was permitted. I just dont want to get in hot water considering all the crazyness going on right now. Hunting is my get-away. I want to keep it for as long as I can lol.

When I called specifically about Tahoe NF, the person I spoke with was really unsure how "shooting" would be handled because of the fire issues just a few miles north and west. But they also said that they would think unless otherwise posted, that day hunting was permitted. I just dont want to get in hot water considering all the crazyness going on right now. Hunting is my get-away. I want to keep it for as long as I can lol.

Definitely, I feel the same way. This has the hunting stuff included. Hopefully it gets extended out a bit to include camping outside of designated areas. https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/tahoe/home

Thanks Max. This was what I was looking for exactly! So the part where it says unless during a lawful hunt.... YES!

Right? Now all we need is a bit of weather! Too bad there’s no snow forecaster like we had last year, that made for some easy glassing for bears

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
Hope yall kill one for me.. I got some good tips and was really excited to get out there. Next time.

I had a few different people tell me to get a bear tag along with my deer tag, but reading the regs it seems like a huge pain in the ass to comply if I actually do shoot one. Is it as difficult as it seems? If you take a bear in the Tahoe or Eldorado National Forest you have to drive to Rancho Cordova to validate the tag and give them the head? Or if we are hunting in the Almanor/Lassen area we would have to drive to Redding or Red Bluff?

2020 CA Bear Regulations

RETENTION OF BEAR SKIN AND EARS REQUIREMENT Pursuant to Fish and Game Code Section 4757, any person taking any bear must retain in their possession the skin and portion of the head bearing the ears during the open season thereon, and for 15 days thereafter. The skin and the portion of the head must be produced upon the demand of any authorized CDFW staff/officer.

MANDATORY PRESENTATION OF BEAR SKULL Pursuant to California Code of Regulation (CCR), Title 14, Section 708.12, successful bear hunters, must have the bear tag countersigned by a CDFW staff only. Bear tags must be countersigned prior to transporting the bear, except for the purpose of taking the bear to the nearest person authorized to validate the tag on route to your home from the point where the bear was taken. If CDFW offices are closed, the bear tag shall be validated within one business day of transporting the bear from the point where taken. Pursuant to CCR, Title 14, Section 367.5, any person who takes a bear shall present the skull (even if damaged) to a CDFW office/officer within 10 days of taking the bear.

you have the right to retain any and all bear parts of the bear you take, except the skull which becomes the property of CDFW. All CDFW offices will validate bear tags and extract teeth. The CDFW is requiring a premolar tooth be extracted from EVERY bear taken during the hunting season.

I had a few different people tell me to get a bear tag along with my deer tag, but reading the regs it seems like a huge pain in the ass to comply if I actually do shoot one. Is it as difficult as it seems? If you take a bear in the Tahoe or Eldorado National Forest you have to drive to Rancho Cordova to validate the tag and give them the head? Or if we are hunting in the Almanor/Lassen area we would have to drive to Redding or Red Bluff?

2020 CA Bear Regulations

All you need to do is contact your Local Game Warden and they will come pull a tooth and can countersign your tag. Make sure to put a stick in the mouth to keep the jaws open and makes it easy for them to remove the tooth.

JohnnyB

WKR
Yes, you have to go the office (or call to see if someone is around your area) but it only took about 15 minutes (10 minutes of that was waiting for someone to come back from lunch). No drama, pulled tooth and it was over.