2020 Caribou DIY trip

8nbait

Lil-Rokslider
So, I have it my head that I want to go to Alaska and do a fly in non guided caribou trip.

I have no idea what is involved as I’ve only hunted the lower 48 and will be traveling from Idaho.

I’m looking for people or person who would like to go and some info on who to use for the fly in and transport. I assume we’ll fly to Fairbanks and then rent a van to drive to the transporters.

I’m open to any suggestions on anything, I don’t even know what units to get tags yet but I guess that will be determined by the transporter.

Thanks, Gary

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
This late in 2019, I would recommend shooting for 2021, as some of the air transporters are likely already booked, and others will be before the calendar hits Jan 1. The biggest challenge you will have for this type of hunt is finding a slot with a good air taxi. Some of the best for caribou are 40 Mile Air, Golden Eagle Outfitters, and I believe that Wright Air out of Fairbanks still flies caribou hunters out, but I haven't flown with them personally yet. There are others too, but others will know who those are better than me.

Do your research on this forum, lots of good info shared last winter about AK caribou hunting. Once you have an idea what is involved at a high level, reach out to a couple of transporters to get an idea when they book and what 2021 looks like for them.

The other big challenge is finding a hunting partner that suits you and your hunting style. Lots of guys were looking for caribou hunting partners last winter, search the old threads and maybe some guys are still looking. I have found several good AK hunting partners from this forum and Hunttalk, haven't had a bad hunt partner yet (fingers crossed).

VernAK

WKR
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

AKBorn nailed it for you.

You are very early in the planning stages of a first for you and you're behind the curve already.

Demand for these hunts far exceeds supply.

This forum is the place to be for your planning.

Werty

WKR
If you have the ability, call places and be put on as an alternate. It will be last minute. Also, there are also boating options as transports.

Stid2677

WKR
Just a thought, there is a new for next year nonresident opportunity to draw a Caribou hunt off the Denali Hwy DC475. There will be 50 tags issued for Bull Caribou. This area can be reached by flying in commercial air to Anchorage and driving the Denali Hwy. I have hunted this tag and there is good opportunity and some very beautiful country. While it is "road hunting" one can hike a bit and get into some good hunting. This is the first year this hunt will be open to non residents. The drawing opened today and closes 16 Dec 2019, with winners announced in Feb 2020.

Last edited:

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
The opportunity to apply for the hunts is December 16th, 2019 at 5:00pm AKST. However it is very common for the website to go down the last 2-3 days of the draw opening due to traffic overload Just an FYI. Caribou are categorized into ’herds’. Nelchina herd (Unit 13) is what the new non resident draw opportunity is (DC475). 40 mile is another herd thats up above Fairbanks-ish (Unit 20). Units 20-26 have harvest tag caribou hunts that you can do if you don’t want to try for the draw system to get tags. Good luck planning your hunt!

There are so many opportunities available for the 2020 season. I personally would hunt in 26C. Fly into the north eastern Brooks range on or about 29 Jul.
Season for Non Residents opens 1 Aug. Stay til 7 Aug and catch a back haul ride back to Fairbanks with guys flying in for the 10 Aug sheep season opening. You are allowed 2 caribou. Air charter cost will be about $7K for the airplane total round trip. Wright’s Air is who I would use. No driving up the Haul road renting a van, truck etc.

MNhunter

FNG
I applied for the DC475 draw area and I can't wait to find out if I drew. This is the kind of lottery tickets I can fully get behind compared to the regular lottery. Till the results come out I'll just be doing more reading and day dreaming through the forums and internet.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Soooooo, you're telling me there's a chance. hahahahaha. I think every Non-resident applied for that DC475.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm with ya man! I went in 2019 and I am already trying to get back in 2020. I am thinking our chances of drawing are slimmer than getting a spot with 40 mile air as a new client.

So, I have it my head that I want to go to Alaska and do a fly in non guided caribou trip.

I have no idea what is involved as I’ve only hunted the lower 48 and will be traveling from Idaho.

I’m looking for people or person who would like to go and some info on who to use for the fly in and transport. I assume we’ll fly to Fairbanks and then rent a van to drive to the transporters.

I’m open to any suggestions on anything, I don’t even know what units to get tags yet but I guess that will be determined by the transporter.

Thanks, Gary

I’m interested in the same and thinking of booking this week with Arrowhead Outfitter’s on the north brooks range fly in diy Hunt. Guys any comments on arrowhead outfitters? I talked to them today and Misty seemed extremely knowledgeable. Any other suggested air taxis?

spin05

FNG
Cant comment on any other air taxi. We used Bushwacker air. Flew into fairbanks. Rented a u-haul van. Drove up the haul road flew out of prospector creek. Bushwacker was great. Cost $3k with unlimited runs of meat.

Diesel

WKR
It has been over 10 years since I hunted Bou in Alaska. It was the best hunt ever in both success and fun.

We went as a drop hunt as non residents with no Alaska experience. I did as much research as I could from home and read several books on the topic. One in particular proved very informative and spot on with virtually every pointer coming true on our hunt. "Hunt Alaska Now" by Dennis Confer was the name of the book. I highly recommend it and my advice is to take it as Gospel.

We saw literally thousands of Caribou which was worth the whole effort alone. Think about keeping your total pack weight to 50 lbs

Diesel

WKR
Little things can make a big difference.

3rd week in September is perfect timing most years. Plan how to ship your antlers and meat and cape if mounting. Research which herds have the best populations the year you will be hunting. Plan on rest days on the front end and back end of the hunt because weather can strand you and it makes for a more enjoyable trip anyhow.

You are making a pretty good effort and cost to do this so take enough time to see the terrain and enjoy it. Griz were a daily sighting for us that year so knowing how to deal with your kill may be very important. Take game bags and a small folding saw to cut brush to stack to air out your meat ( not many trees on the tundra to hang meat from). Take a spray bottle and citrus acid to spray to keep flies away from your meat. A head net will be as valuable as matches. Take the deet.

Those small little creeks that run through the tundra can be unbelievably deep. A stream as wide as 20 inches can be 10 feet deep. A wrong steep with hip boots and a pack on your back can make for a big adventure. There are lots of ways to die up there so pay attention. The tundra is NOT flat, it is little hummocks that will test your ankles and knees.

Find the best restaurant with king crab and salmon when you get out of the bush. It will seem like the best meal ever.

Have fun and be safe.

Read that book!

wchinook

FNG
I drew one of the non-resident DC475 tags...stoked. TBD if I'll be able to actually make the hunt, but if I did it would likely be the last 4-5 days of the season, Sept. 15th-20th or so. I grew up in AK, but haven't been anywhere along the Denali Highway, at least not in the past 25-30 years. I've read a good amount about the area and the hunt that residents typically do, and my dad has hunted the Tangle Lakes area a couple of times in the past few years, with some success. Being out of state, I won't have a chance to do any scouting (other than tons of e-scouting), and I know that the caribou can be wherever they happen to feel like, depending on the weather, etc.

My question is this - at that time of the season, if you had just a couple of days to hunt, what areas along the Denali Highway would you prioritize? And would you just road camp and day hike in a couple of miles every day, or hike in 5+ miles and set up a backcountry base camp? I'm thinking of focusing on the CUA area (not afraid to hike a bit with a pack, even in tundra), but that doesn't narrow things down all that much.

Finally, how concerned should I be at that time of the season about the rut affecting the quality of the meat of a bull? I'm mainly interested in the meat.