2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

@robby denning I decided I'm gonna sit this one out as far as prizes go, I literally just won that 150L Canyon cooler and would feel pretty greedy taking up space in the hat with this contest. Definitely still going to do this with the stickbow though just for personal confidence, will it get confusing if I post the results with a disclaimer that I'm not officially entering? Don't mind keeping things to myself if it will muddy the waters, just thought I would double check.

Also just to clarify for anyone else wondering. This is the maximum range you would take an initial shot on a live animal? Or the maximum range you can maintain a group within the vitals on foam?

@robby denning I decided I'm gonna sit this one out as far as prizes go, I literally just won that 150L Canyon cooler and would feel pretty greedy taking up space in the hat with this contest. Definitely still going to do this with the stickbow though just for personal confidence, will it get confusing if I post the results with a disclaimer that I'm not officially entering? Don't mind keeping things to myself if it will muddy the waters, just thought I would double check.

Also just to clarify for anyone else wondering. This is the maximum range you would take an initial shot on a live animal? Or the maximum range you can maintain a group within the vitals on foam?
Maximum range you feel you would be comfortable taking an animal is how I am understanding it. It's a comp to see where you are at for the up coming seasons and if you need to make any hard decisions right now about how far out you can realistically be to ethically take an animal

Maximum range you feel you would be comfortable taking an animal is how I am understanding it. It's a comp to see where you are at for the up coming seasons and if you need to make any hard decisions right now about how far out you can realistically be to ethically take an animal

I assumed so just wanted to clarify. I can group at 60 under average conditions but haven't shot anything over 30 for a reason...animals move and adrenaline is a hell of a drug! ;)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Exactly. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I assumed so just wanted to clarify. I can group at 60 under average conditions but haven't shot anything over 30 for a reason...animals move and adrenaline is a hell of a drug! ;)

Hey man, two things,

number one do not sit this competition out because you’ve already won something! Get in there and compete. That’s where the pressure is! truly test yourself. A guy thats honest with himself and his Rokslide peers, and doesn’t retake the shots that he misses, he’s gonna walk away from this challenge with a whole new perspective on what he’s truly capable of. I said it in earlier post, the first year we had this competition I was nailing it at 70 yards with field points (and it was a 7-arrow challenge back then). I thought I was pretty cool too. But when I really got thinking about it, and screwed broadheads on and tested myself, I cut 10 to 15 yards off of that. That’s only going to result in less wounded animals in the mountains. It is partly why I’m so passionate about this challenge.

Number two, it’s a personal challenge, so pick your maximum Yardage that you would take a shot at an animal at under good conditions. That’s all we’re holding you too. What we are going to be more strict on this year is guys that say their maximum Effective range of 60 yards, but they can only shoot 20 in their backyard so that’s how they’re going to enter the challenge. We won’t be letting those in this year, there’s too many guys that want to make the effort to get out and shoot their maximum effective range, so that’s what we’re going to gear it towards.

Hey man, two things,

number one do not sit this competition out because you’ve already won something! Get in there and compete. That’s where the pressure is! truly test yourself. A guy thats honest with himself and his Rokslide peers, and doesn’t retake the shots that he misses, he’s gonna walk away from this challenge with a whole new perspective on what he’s truly capable of. I said it in earlier post, the first year we had this competition I was nailing it at 70 yards with field points (and it was a 7-arrow challenge back then). I thought I was pretty cool too. But when I really got thinking about it, and screwed broadheads on and tested myself, I cut 10 to 15 yards off of that. That’s only going to result in less wounded animals in the mountains. It is partly why I’m so passionate about this challenge.

Number two, it’s a personal challenge, so pick your maximum Yardage that you would take a shot at an animal at under good conditions. That’s all we’re holding you too. What we are going to be more strict on this year is guys that say their maximum Effective range of 60 yards, but they can only shoot 20 in their backyard so that’s how they’re going to enter the challenge. We won’t be letting those in this year, there’s too many guys that want to make the effort to get out and shoot their maximum effective range, so that’s what we’re going to gear it towards.

Perfect, thanks for clarifying. I think I'm a bit too honest with myself at times if that's even possible but I love the idea and it definitely makes sense...was 99% sure just wanted to clarify both for me and anyone else that wasn't 100% on it.

Awesome concept and thanks for putting this together, still on the fence about taking up space in the hat but you do make a good point about the added pressure. Will definitely think on that some more but no way I'm passing up on the challenge! ;)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Perfect, thanks for clarifying. I think I'm a bit too honest with myself at times if that's even possible but I love the idea and it definitely makes sense...was 99% sure just wanted to clarify both for me and anyone else that wasn't 100% on it.

Awesome concept and thanks for putting this together, still on the fence about taking up space in the hat but you do make a good point about the added pressure. Will definitely think on that some more but no way I'm passing up on the challenge! ;)
sounds good but only post if you're in the challenge. I'm taking bets you'll be in when you see these guys blow up that thread.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
update on me, I've hit 55 yards with first arrow last 3 out of 4 mornings BUT I'm practicing after that for 12-30 arrows, so I'm not totally sure I'll go with 55 yards or drop it to 50.

What are some of you guys thinking at this point on your MER for the challenge?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m thinking 50 yards. I don’t want it to be so easy it doesn’t stretch me, but I don’t want to embarrass myself. I was shooting at 60 and 70 yesterday. 60 was pretty solid. 70 needs some work

big44a4

WKR
update on me, I've hit 55 yards with first arrow last 3 out of 4 mornings BUT I'm practicing after that for 12-30 arrows, so I'm not totally sure I'll go with 55 yards or drop it to 50.

Having not participated in the past I’m going to give 60 yards a go for this year (no time to test as my sight is still out getting serviced).

What I have shot recently for my first arrows has been inside a quarter at 30 yards which is distance I usually start at when shooting in backyard. Given what you said starting longer and realizing MER is actually shorter has me thinking 60 yards will be good starting point for this year. Elk size target so going with a paper plate kill zone. Any other ideas?

I'm brutally honest with myself especially when it comes to bears I'll have to track in thick reprod, I can definitely group much further in a calm state but my MER will probably be 35 max with the compound and 15 with the stick. I'll also be slamming 2 large coffees and holding my breath as long as possible before the shot to somewhat simulate a big boar staring at me from 15 yards away, might also try to throw in some heavy squats to get that typewriter leg in full effect ;)

Like I said though I'll most likely be doing this just for my own reference, awesome concept at the end of the day for sure even without the prizes involved!

Edit: I think this is as good a place as any to clarify why my numbers are probably half what some guys will determine their personal MER to be. The first bear I ever shot with a bow was 23 yards away from me. As my shot broke he began to take a step and I watched the arrow sail into the exact spot I had been aiming, which had gone from right behind the shoulder to between the last two ribs. My bow was shooting 280+fps with that arrow setup, luckily he was quartering away enough that it worked out but it was an invaluable lesson...I've never forgot thinking right after "what if he was at the 40-50 yards I thought I was confident out to?" Not trying to start a debate about ethical shot distance by any means, every situation is different, just wanted to explain for people wondering why the heck I would call my own personal MER at such a gimme distance.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m thinking 50 yards. I don’t want it to be so easy it doesn’t stretch me, but I don’t want to embarrass myself.
that's the whole idea, stretch yourself a bit....

Ten Bears

WKR

I have been trying to establish my MER for a week. Pre-stroke it was a comfortable 65 yards. Right now I feel good at 50 but have been trying to extend out to 60 for this challenge. Hopefully I can pull it off before we fire this up.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have been trying to establish my MER for a week. Pre-stroke it was a comfortable 65 yards. Right now I feel good at 50 but have been trying to extend out to 60 for this challenge. Hopefully I can pull it off before we fire this up.
👍👍💪

Thinking I’m gonna go with 60 shoot very consistent at that range 70 isn’t bad but do notice things start to open up a bit around 70 mid summer they tend to tighten back up but still feel 60 is plenty far... that said new string is in the mail hopefully have time to get it on and make sure broad heads are flying good