2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

Bumped stuff up to shooting twice a day usually now. Been shooting trad 3d with no warmups. Think I'm going to pass on the idea of trad only for elk this year, plan on it for whitetail once I get home tho.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been shooting everyday but atleast 4 days a week. The biggest helper to me is my 1 cold shot is now at 75yds, longest shot at the range. Its not always in the vitals but has been getting tighter and tighter. Then I move to closer and work on form. Stretching the comfort zone gets the blood pumping and 3 times now i have missed completely costing myself a perfectly fine match FMJ and that hurts my wallet and pride.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been shooting everyday but atleast 4 days a week. The biggest helper to me is my 1 cold shot is now at 75yds, longest shot at the range. Its not always in the vitals but has been getting tighter and tighter. Then I move to closer and work on form. Stretching the comfort zone gets the blood pumping and 3 times now i have missed completely costing myself a perfectly fine match FMJ and that hurts my wallet and pride.
I hear you man, I’ve sent a couple of kinetic Pierce platinum gold tips out into the field sporting 100 grain Ironwill Broadhead, never to be seen again

Whisky

WKR
Since the CB challenge I have hardly shot below 60yds on my home range. I usually spend most of my time at 60-80, but shot out to 90 last week a couple times. Confidence with my BH is as high as it's ever been.

Now, a group of us put together a private 3D course at one of the guys farmyards. We play "horse" with bows, and usually find ways to make the shots more difficult with stupid positions or obstacles (and costly to arrows). And no LRF allowed... First night out I lost a $27 IW practice arrow for a hour or so, at a fricken 50yd target. i was pissed. Talk about humbling. Quite the difference when you're not shooting on your home range with the targets your used to, standing in a comfortable position at known distances.

Anyway, I just got some of the cheapest arrows I could find, cut them to a length and ordered some heavy FP's, to give me the same weight as my primary arrows. Haven't shot them yet, but losing a $5 arrow will be a little more tolerable than $27-$60/arrow. These will only be used on the 3d course, where the trees and shenanigans have claimed numerous arrows so far this year. Hope they shoot sufficient anyways.

Since the CB challenge I have hardly shot below 60yds on my home range. I usually spend most of my time at 60-80, but shot out to 90 last week a couple times. Confidence with my BH is as high as it's ever been.

Now, a group of us put together a private 3D course at one of the guys farmyards. We play "horse" with bows, and usually find ways to make the shots more difficult with stupid positions or obstacles (and costly to arrows). And no LRF allowed... First night out I lost a $27 IW practice arrow for a hour or so, at a fricken 50yd target. i was pissed. Talk about humbling. Quite the difference when you're not shooting on your home range with the targets your used to, standing in a comfortable position at known distances.

Anyway, I just got some of the cheapest arrows I could find, cut them to a length and ordered some heavy FP's, to give me the same weight as my primary arrows. Haven't shot them yet, but losing a $5 arrow will be a little more tolerable than $27-$60/arrow. These will only be used on the 3d course, where the trees and shenanigans have claimed numerous arrows so far this year. Hope they shoot sufficient anyways.

With a handle like whiskey I feel certain more is at play than just an unfamiliar range.

I did the same thing years ago. Buckbuster arrows were dirt cheap. I still find them all over my range. We had a platform to shoot different targets, then at 30 seconds a running deer took off and you had to get a shoot of at it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

that's great to hear.

Whisky

WKR
With a handle like whiskey I feel certain more is at play than just an unfamiliar range.

I did the same thing years ago. Buckbuster arrows were dirt cheap. I still find them all over my range. We had a platform to shoot different targets, then at 30 seconds a running deer took off and you had to get a shoot of at it.

There may be some beers consumed during the process, on occasion.. The whiskey comes after!

Fatcamp

WKR
So on a scouting trip earlier this summer I found this deadhead. Upon further consideration I'm pretty sure it is the deer I arrowed last Fall. When I looked on OnX at where I found this and the last spot I saw that deer they are very close as the crow flies and the dimensions are very similar. Sucks as he probably died shortly after I last saw him but had no idea where he went and was faced with an ocean of brush.

KIMG3225.JPG

I cleaned up the arrow I shot him with. Seems in good shape. Anyone use arrows they have shot game with?

So on a scouting trip earlier this summer I found this deadhead. Upon further consideration I'm pretty sure it is the deer I arrowed last Fall. When I looked on OnX at where I found this and the last spot I saw that deer they are very close as the crow flies and the dimensions are very similar. Sucks as he probably died shortly after I last saw him but had no idea where he went and was faced with an ocean of brush.

View attachment 209314

I cleaned up the arrow I shot him with. Seems in good shape. Anyone use arrows they have shot game with?

I reshoot the same arrows all the time. They aren't bullets. Flex it, spin it. That will show any fractures or damaged inserts/heads.

Sharpen or replace blades in broadheads and keep going.

Fatcamp

WKR
Wellllll, I figured out that the work that had been being done on our bows sucked.

That led to researching and finding a small local archery shop and having them work with us on some tuning issues that led to some significant improvements.

This morning, 1 shot, 61 yards. Did not shoot yesterday.

KIMG3232.JPG

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wellllll, I figured out that the work that had been being done on our bows sucked.

That led to researching and finding a small local archery shop and having them work with us on some tuning issues that led to some significant improvements.

This morning, 1 shot, 61 yards. Did not shoot yesterday.

View attachment 211231

Good shot. You gonna do four more days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk