2020 Colorado 2nd Rifle Victory

Steelruger22

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted 2nd Rifle this year in Colorado, was my first time back there since I PCS'ed in 2017. I cashed in 3 preference points plus this years and was lucky enough to draw my first choice tag. Aside from being very fortunate to fill my elk tag on opening day, I did not see the numbers of bucks that I was use to in the area that I was in. I seen does everyday but this was only the 3rd buck that I saw once the season kicked off. I think that the hunting pressure and the weather had these ole' boys holed up in the thick and nasty. It wasn't until Thursday when I was able to come up on him feeding at about 1500 while side sloping the thick pines at about 10300 ft. The good 'ole 30-06 was able to cleanly put him down at about 70 yrds. This is my best mule deer to date and will probably be the best of my life. I really don't see myself topping it. He's a 7x7 and was 24" inside spread and 31" outside. A public land victory at its best.
20201029_151340.jpg20201029_151346.jpg20201029_151355.jpg

Last edited:

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Goodnessssss. Well done, bud!

Mule deer opener in Texas panhandle starts Nov 21. I’ve been scouting my butt off on the 90,000 acres of private farmland I have access to. A buck that size is a pipe dream, I just want to get something on the ground and into the freezer!

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I think we should be friends
I just got really, really lucky. I scout a ton and ran into a farmer one day chasing geese. Between he, his brother, and his father, I wound up getting a ton of access. I help out on his farm now and then (spent Saturday morning helping him drag out dead cattle) and take him a couple cases of Coors Light every season.

Win Win. Their family doesn’t really hunt and they have had some shitty outfitters come out and wreck property, so it’s basically not hunted besides me.

I just got really, really lucky. I scout a ton and ran into a farmer one day chasing geese. Between he, his brother, and his father, I wound up getting a ton of access. I help out on his farm now and then (spent Saturday morning helping him drag out dead cattle) and take him a couple cases of Coors Light every season.

Win Win. Their family doesn’t really hunt and they have had some shitty outfitters come out and wreck property, so it’s basically not hunted besides me.
Good for you. Sounds like you both got into a good situation and are treating each other right. Good luck