2020 Compression sack for sleeping bag recommendations

I had an Exped ultralight compression sack that was great until it tore. What I really liked is how it compressed from the sides to make a long compressed package vs. most of the ones make football. Just seems to pack better for me. Does anyone know of a good lightweight compression sack that compresses from the sides, not the ends?

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
What's stopping you from picking up another Exped? I've been using Outdoor Research's sack and while it doesn't cinch down along the sides, it's still pretty tubular when stuffed, and it's slightly lighter than the Exped or Osprey.

OP
M
I don't think they make the same exped anymore...at least I can find it. The current ones look a little bigger and perhaps a little more durable - likely I will go with that. I like the looks of the Osprey, but then they don't look like they do much comprssion. Will look at OR...sure like their gaiters.

I like and use a Granite Gear dry bag that is rectangular shaped on the bottom and has eVent fabric on the bottom to let the air out. I use a 10L for any quality 20 degree down bag. I compress as much as I can by hand then roll the top and seal. Pushing more forges air out the eVent bottom and it conforms well to the bottom of my bag.

Rilsee

FNG
Kifaru makes side compression sacks. I’ve never used them. But anything they make will be of good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ehiggins

WKR
I use a Sea to Summit eVent and haven’t had any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
I don't think they make the same exped anymore...at least I can find it. The current ones look a little bigger and perhaps a little more durable - likely I will go with that. I like the looks of the Osprey, but then they don't look like they do much comprssion. Will look at OR...sure like their gaiters.
The Osprey will compress easily to at least 50% or more. That’s also why I stuff anything else sleep wise in them so space is used efficiently. Being somewhat rectangular when stuffed fairly full you don’t lose as much space like a cylindrical bag does. They fit in the bottom of the pack and form a nice platform for heavier stuff on top of it. It’ll curve to conform to the shape of the bottom the pack and the ends can wrap around the frame side of the pack filling in the front/side corners. This is just a light 30° bag in the 12L. It has room for an exped pillow, ThermaRest X therm pad and a light down topped pillow case and mby more.

01A39367-94DD-4FED-8DAD-89B5C987E307.jpeg10B65B39-86A4-47AA-8AE4-E09F96EC704F.jpegA2AF0E60-6855-4045-AF35-4F44453ABB89.jpegC46C2103-6326-47F8-9B53-332B6AC52678.jpegB87A512E-D734-44EA-A5B1-EC34D49B59BF.jpeg

rayporter

WKR
you have two choices
first decide if you like the canon ball type of compression.

or if you like the sausage type.

if you like a sausage type get a kifaru 5 string. there are a lot of canon ball types to choose from.

personally i do not like a canon ball type and i have two 5 strings.

OP
M
Ok...I ordered another Exped, but really appreciate the pics of the Osprey - it compresses better than I thought it would with only 2 straps. And I was not aware of Kifaru 5 string - thank you - this is what I was looking for. I'll likely order one.

BBob

WKR
(y) BTW the Osprey sacks larger than 12L bump up to three straps. The Kifaru look good, didn’t know about them. Out of stock though.