2020 Elk Call setup

AWagg

FNG
These little reed holders are a game changer for me.

Seems smart. Not going to fall out?

I have a Primos Terminator but want to get a mouth call. Not sure what is a good mouth call to start with?
I use Phelps. Rocky Mountain or Elk 101 make great diaphragm calls too. The Phelps ez estrus is definitely worth checking out too

I've switched to the Maverick by Phelps this year. It just sounds really good to me. I've been switching back and forth between it and the Pitch Black 2, but the Maverick has a little better "throaty" sound to me. Using the Bully Bull tube.
I gotta try these. im on the ivory plate from primos currently, throaty is good

gelton

WKR
IMO the Mellow Yellow is the absolute best (and easiest) cow call out there...I can make a wide range of sounds with it.

Still in search for that perfect reed for bugling.

As far as cow calls go, why would I choose a reed vs an external call? is one more beneficial than the other?
In my opinion, diaphragm calls are harder to learn but more authentic sounding in the end. Also, diaphragm calls can be used with bugle tubes. Amplifying cow sounds or used to bugle. I recommending putting in the time to learn how to use a diaphragm call.

p0under99

FNG
Rocky bugle tube, Elk101 white reed, born and raised September reed, and born and raised new two tone

Like most people digging through the Rokslide elk forums, I am itching to get into the elk woods for 2020. With all the craziness going on right now, I am more than ready to chase some bugles.

I am sticking with the Phelps Unleashed full size bugle tube and Phelps reeds. My favorites are pink and white. They are easy to use and generate plenty of volume.

I really like the Phelps E-Z Estrus external call. I like the build quality as well as the sound.

In the "Why didn't I think of that" category I picked up a handy gadget called "The Bugle Mule” from allelk.coM. The Bugle Mule wraps around your bugle tube and has three (or two depending on model) neoprene sleeves to hold your reeds. A nylon cover for the reeds pockets has a silent magnetic closure. The pockets also have spacer mesh, so the reeds dry out. Overall, it is a really simple and clever idea to keep your reeds with your tube at all times.

814a0b73e51d33f29a8636751a49d423.jpg

992abb4821690b8daa29fb0c21a4fb8a.jpg

Man im psyched I stumbled on this thread. that bugle mule looks like a game changer.

Has anyone tried the aluminum tube by Phelps? I know it is brand new, but looks interesting because I hate the clanking of the wiffle ball bat

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried the aluminum tube by Phelps? I know it is brand new, but looks interesting because I hate the clanking of the wiffle ball bat

I have one with the EZ bugler mouthpiece. It seems fairly quiet, but is much heavier.

The EZ bugler IS super easy to get a pretty good sounding bugle, but harder to get inflection, voice, and lip bawls. We will see how it does with a little practice.