2020 Elk Call setup

Yooper

WKR
Phelps Unleased tube and a mix of diaphragms again. I'm really liking the Phelps signature call, the Pitch Black 2 and all the BRO series calls right now. I'm kind of a junky when it comes to diaphragms though. Can't have too many!

Phelps Pink, Maverick and Grey.
Elknut Chuckler and Bully Bull tubes (flip a coin). I really like the Phelps tubes as well, but the ones I have work well so I'll stick with them.

Read1t48

WKR
Phelps all around for me with a sprinkle of BRO calls. Phelps grey, black, and Maverick. Love the blue BRO call for cold calling set ups and trolling.

Good luck to everyone this season.

Eklnut Chuckler EL and good old Berry Game Calls, original red big bull reeds. Been using the same Berry reeds since the 80s (thanks to Glen for continuing to carry his original model). They sound great and outlast any other diaphragm I've tried. RJ

Like most people digging through the Rokslide elk forums, I am itching to get into the elk woods for 2020. With all the craziness going on right now, I am more than ready to chase some bugles.

I am sticking with the Phelps Unleashed full size bugle tube and Phelps reeds. My favorites are pink and white. They are easy to use and generate plenty of volume.

I really like the Phelps E-Z Estrus external call. I like the build quality as well as the sound.

In the "Why didn't I think of that" category I picked up a handy gadget called "The Bugle Mule” from allelk.coM. The Bugle Mule wraps around your bugle tube and has three (or two depending on model) neoprene sleeves to hold your reeds. A nylon cover for the reeds pockets has a silent magnetic closure. The pockets also have spacer mesh, so the reeds dry out. Overall, it is a really simple and clever idea to keep your reeds with your tube at all times.

814a0b73e51d33f29a8636751a49d423.jpg

992abb4821690b8daa29fb0c21a4fb8a.jpg

What is your elk calling setup for 2020?
Woah that things nifty

This will be my first year, so I’m excited to try out my Rocky Mountain Bully Bull tube and Phelps Amp calls! I’ve been practicing along to the ElkNut app for about an hour every day on my way to work.

KHNC

WKR
Bugling bull tube and pink and purple amped phelps reeds. And of course the mellow yellow occasionally.

But, cant go wrong with the Hoochie Mama! Its a classic that should be used all the time , all season long, even in late rifle. Just blow it every 30 mins when you setup and wait for the action to start!!

Has anyone used the single reed holder hat clip? Seems like a smart idea, but after reading through the comments I’m worried about getting a bunch of dust.

I've used Wayne Carlton's calls for years but they are worn out so I just bought RMHC Contender and Rock Star and I like them better. I prefer the different thicknesses of latex more than 2 or three layers. I'm not sure who the best manufacturer is but these are headed out with me next week.

CorbLand

WKR
Don’t really get to hunt elk with a bugle in Utah, so it’s primarily catch and release.

Had a couple RMHC reeds for the last couple years that I really liked. Lost them and don’t remember which ones there were. Bought some Phelps last year and really like the black one. Bought the RMHC Champ and whatever the green one is called. Don’t really fit my mouth that well so I will be going back to the Phelps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a sweet setup. This is my first year chasing elk, so I’m atrocious at calling, but I’ve got the Phelps Unrivaled tube and white, gray, and black diaphragms.

Matt, thanks for the tip on the reed holders! Those are slick!

I like amp diaphragms, I couldn’t even use diaphragms a couple years ago. Wapiti River was the brand that got me over the threshold, now I like amp

I have a bunch of tubes, and have used them all a good deal, at the end of the day, the elk nut chuckler is the standout... 2nd favorite is my big Phelps tube, but the chuckler is smaller, lighter and louder than the Phelps... if I was trying to win a competition, I would use the Phelps, but for getting answers and tricking bulls, the chuckler is just more practical in every way.

The only external call I carry is the ELK inc cow talk deluxe, I don’t use it as instructed, and how I use it makes it very versatile and it’s super authentic.

I use primos reeds. A red double reed for big bull sound, single black reed for a younger bull. And both do good cows too. Then any long tube I’m ok with.

I like to carry those two reeds and 2-3 cow calls to make a little cow party. Works great in mid- to late seasons.

I’m working on a long distance bull whistle...not great but I’ll pull it out if needed this season :)

guyhaz

FNG
These little reed holders are a game changer for me.

I will have to give those a try

J5Hunt

FNG
Didn’t know about the chuckler. Thanks for sharing !

L.M._Rog

FNG
I need to pay more attention, just saw this love the idea.